Did you get buyers remorse?

We recently moved 250 miles away into a house that was older than what I really wanted to buy and was more expensive than I wanted (still in range but still higher than I preferred). But -- the house had an ideal, awesome location.

Soon after we moved in, I began to pick at all of the things I didn't like about the layout. And, there were a lot. There was one point when I was talking about things we could do to remodel, that DH asked me if I thought we made a mistake. That kind of woke me up. Because, I really didn't. We can't do all the remodeling I could potentially identify (too expensive) but that brought me back to the real reason we bought the house...location. We've been in the house about 3 1/2 months now and those brief misgivings have gone away. I am very happy with the choice we made.

That said -- yes, we made a very bad mistake on buying a house some years ago. The house needed way more work than I had thought it needed. The entire experience was a financial disaster (loss of about 100k ultimately). We did end up moving....

The only remorse I (we've) had was moving in too early.

Don't be in a hurry, take a month or 2 and do what needs to be done. Paint, floors, windows, trim are all easier when it's empty.

Have fun in your new house!

<saga>
We are (still) in the throes of finding a new home. We found a house we loved and put our house up for sale to move there for more space for our growing family. Our offer on our new home was accepted after a painful week-long negotiation, and our current house went into escrow about one week later. Everything was going swimmingly!

Until the inspection.

I conservatively estimated more than $12,000 in basic functional and safety repairs required on the home, with other stuff like chimney and flue repairs, electrical repairs, and others, not included. Total repair item list was closer to $20,000 before we got to do any actual improvements to the home ourselves. Seller offered to credit $1,000 at closing.

So, we backed out of the sale using our inspection contingency.

A week later, our buyer fell through, unable to get a loan approved.

Our current home went back up on the market, and we accepted another offer 7 days later. We are now 12 days in to our 30-day "find another place" allowance, having offered on one place too late, and now having offered on a second only to get thrown into a semi-bidding war. Fortunately, we have a great backup option to go after.

</saga>

So... I have thought about "buyer's remorse" both with the first property and with the current property where we may have to outbid someone quite a bit. I know we would've had it with the first one, so we backed out. I sense that we may also have it with the second one, so I'm leaning towards backing out or, rather, just not bidding.

I have purchased three other properties in my life, and have had zero remorse about any of them. I think if we end up in our new backup property, I won't have remorse about that one either... I think that's trying to tell me something!

Reactions: W2R
Nash031, best of luck! I hope that soon you will be settling into the perfect home with no buyer's remorse.

Don't know if I ever mentioned it here - - but there was a house that I bid on, before my Dream Home came on the market. I got outbid, though. What a knife in the heart that was! I had the money, but didn't want to bid more than it was worth so my realtor advised that I back out when the bidding war got too hot and heavy.

Really, it wasn't the house for me anyway. The house I ended up with was a much better fit for me and what I need and want in a house, in so many ways. I am so glad I didn't get that first house.

My late wife was in Real Estate, and she found this one year old townhouse. She called me up and said, I found it". I told her to buy it:D

We're suffering buyer's remorse and haven't bought anything yet...

We'd like to move somewhere in Arkansas to be closer to our relatives (and we think it's pretty), but at this point we're unable to pick a location. We've started a list of priorities such as location and lot size. Medical and high speed internet are tied in 3rd place. :rolleyes:

It's just a house. It's not like it's a vasectomy or something that cannot be reversed. You'll most likely be loving it in a year or two and if not you'll sell it and move on.

Last fall I bought a cabin that had been empty for ten years. Rotten decks, bad doors, no heat, broken windows and interior with a bad case of the 70s.

You better believe I had buyers remorse.

After some (well, a lot) of work, it looks like this:

Remorse gone. Love it!

(cue before and after pics.

Attachments

• Front (2).jpg
    Front (2).jpg
    858.4 KB · Views: 51
  • backside.jpg
    backside.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 50
  • interior looking towards the front.jpg
    interior looking towards the front.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0900.jpg
    DSCN0900.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 49
  • 37952769_10211883884446675_5430876486686998528_n.jpg
    37952769_10211883884446675_5430876486686998528_n.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20180825_153625.jpg
    IMG_20180825_153625.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 49
FWIW, we’ve recently gone through a similar experience. Just purchased a home in a more rural setting than we’re used to. When we looked at the home, we loved the views and the layout. We made several trips to see it and did extensive inspections, so we were here enough to see some of the things you don’t notice on the first or second visit. About two weeks before closing we noticed they weren’t keeping up on the landscaping and basically told them we wouldn’t go through with the purchase if it wasn’t cared for properly, which helps. Even so, on what was supposed to be our pre inspection visit, they were still moving out and the house was a complete mess. Absolutely filthy and all of the negatives were on full display. I could tell DH was wondering if we’d made a mistake and kept telling him this is the worst it’s ever going to look.

A month later, we’ve fallen in love again with all the things we initially liked. Layout is perfect, we love the views and the outdoor space. A bit farther out than we’re used to, but the natural beauty is incredible. Honestly, we wake up every morning and look out at the hills in awe.

There are things we knew we would have to redo and things that have come as surprises that are frustrating—previous owners just lied on disclosures and covered up some things that would have been nice to know. But realistically, our old home wasn’t perfect either and we try and remind ourselves of that when we find things we need to add to the ‘fixit’ list.

Excellent reading guys, keep it coming!

Just an update. We've been here 10 days now and I'm still getting used to the place. It's quiet, so pretty sure we've made a good choice on escaping noisy neighbours. Phew! Because you never really know this one until you move in

The garden is still scaring even me a bit. I've been busy out there but there's still lots more to get through. Still wondering if it's going to be too much upkeep, but I can always remove things over time too, which is good

The house layout and size works well and Wife finally smiled and said 'Think I like this house better than the last one' which was nice to hear.

The distance is feeling a tiny bit better but ultimately I still think most people would prefer to be close to things. But in doing do you forego the reaaon you moved rural too so maybe not.. Things like crime and no nature or serenity.

The people so far (all 3 of them we've encountered) seem very nice! All friendly, which is a contrast to where we've just come from. I'm pretty sure they wanted me dead there and we felt like real inconveniences for being born. It was horrible. I was a great neighbour so they really should have loved having me next door, I was quiet and polite, never impeding on anyone, but they just had some weird psychological problems so very good to be gone. I do feel for the new owners though. I actually think they were jealous of me being younger, owning a nice home and semi retired while they were always at work

So, all in all, being completely honest with ourselves we like it. It's just so new it'll take a long time to get used to I think. Probably be the same anywhere we moved, I'd always be wondeing 'did we really make the right choice here'? I think you could go on forever with that. Partners, cars, dinners, etc etc. I guess if you liked it and it was there, it was the right choice, and nothing is perfect. The perfect anything does not exist, we can only attempt to make it as close as we can

Last edited:
Looks serene Keim,

I'm wondering, do you worry at all about the trees coming down on the house, or fenceline? In our area, we get storms and even cyclones so always quite alert to these dangers. It would just play in my mind so just wondering

I know they're nice to have and offer shade at the same time

Last fall I bought a cabin that had been empty for ten years. Rotten decks, bad doors, no heat, broken windows and interior with a bad case of the 70s.

You better believe I had buyers remorse.

After some (well, a lot) of work, it looks like this:

Remorse gone. Love it!

(cue before and after pics.

True. But just one mistake can also cost up to hundreds of thousands of dollars too. Hence the fear people get. Buying and selling have huge costs attached

It's just a house. It's not like it's a vasectomy or something that cannot be reversed. You'll most likely be loving it in a year or two and if not you'll sell it and move on.

It was love at first sight with my current 2200 sq ft ranch-style home. But it is also 50 years old. So the love has turned into a sort of love/hate because of the repeated need for repairs, etc. But I still love the quiet neighborhood and how close it is to everything I could ever need or want. It is also cheaper because it's paid off, so I can live here totally debt-free. So when I figure all my housing options, I stay here.

Looks serene Keim,

I'm wondering, do you worry at all about the trees coming down on the house, or fenceline? In our area, we get storms and even cyclones so always quite alert to these dangers. It would just play in my mind so just wondering

I know they're nice to have and offer shade at the same time

I do worry about the cabin. No fenceline to be concerned with. One of my first moves was to contact a friend that runs a forest management service. He came out and helped me develop a forest plan based on the health of trees, nearness to the cabin, etc.

Then he came out with a logger and removed the worst 10 near the cabin. We'll remove another 10 next year.

I paid him a couple of choice steaks.

The logger cost $500 for 6 hours of very efficient work. Incredible to watch the guy work.

Attachments

• DSCF0214.jpg
    DSCF0214.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
+1
Another nice surprise is the sturdy, metal table-like surface outside the side door, for putting down purse and packages while opening the door. What a great idea, and so simple and easy to implement that I am surprised all homes do not have one. Picture below - - SO convenient to never have to juggle packages again while opening the door, and I never noticed it until I moved in. Plus, it never would have occurred to me to add such a thing. There were more nice surprises but I'm sure you get the idea.

Great idea. I think I will ask "she who must be obeyed" if she likes it for our back door. Maybe you have some other nice surprises to share.

Cheers!

I had buyers remorse after closing on the house we currently live in. I was seriously sad, like "what were we thinking??" We did a huge remodel, kitchen, LR, DR, sunroom and 2 bathrooms. As time went on, we realized our neighbors (on all sides and across the street) were really cool and had them over for football games and cookouts.

Now, I'm glad I had the remorse after the closing. Not sure I would have closed if I had that feeling before closing.

I think it might help to focus on the nice surprises instead of the not-so-nice ones. I am sure there are aspects of your new home that you have discovered since buying, that please you. I'd suggest focusing on those and looking for more nice surprises, while you do whatever needs to be done to renovate or fix it up. If it needs paint, paint ASAP! It will be easier before you move in.

Some of my nice surprises were that the shower actually IS big enough to suit me (I wanted a huge shower and was thinking 6'x8' minimum, and it is only 43"x43" but it turns out that is plenty big enough). Another nice surprise is the sturdy, metal table-like surface outside the side door, for putting down purse and packages while opening the door. What a great idea, and so simple and easy to implement that I am surprised all homes do not have one. Picture below - - SO convenient to never have to juggle packages again while opening the door, and I never noticed it until I moved in. Plus, it never would have occurred to me to add such a thing. There were more nice surprises but I'm sure you get the idea.
Great idea. I think I will ask "she who must be obeyed" if she likes it for our back door. Maybe you have some other nice surprises to share.

Cheers!
Well, some of my other nice surprises probably wouldn't impress others because they aren't as unusual as the metal table by the door. But here are a few. There are dozens more but these are the first that came to mind:

(1) My kitchen is really spacious, which I suppose is not that unusual but it is for me so I never realized how nice this would be. It has TONS of electrical outlets and counter space. I can have all my small kitchen appliances out and plugged in, and still have enough outlets for many, many more and plenty of uncrowded counter space. The counter space includes a large table-like peninsula where I put bar stools, and sitting there I can see the big TV in my den easily just 25' away or so. I can sit there and play with my video games while I cook with my electric countertop grill, instant pot, or whatever. So really, my kitchen is almost like a gaming room. Others might not give two hoots about entertainment while cooking. But I think it is really cool. :D

(2) I love that my detached garage is just three easy steps across ultra smooth, wheelchair friendly concrete from my back door. I'm not in a wheelchair now although the prior owner was. Still, I am clumsy and falls have become more of a problem for me as I age. At 70 I am very much into fall prevention. I really like that it is so smooth with no uneven surfaces whatsoever to trip on, and no rapid changes in degree of incline.

(3) I *love* having a 4' high mail slot instead of a mailbox! I put a table under it (inside the house) and I no longer have to be concerned about ne'er-do-wells noticing that my mail isn't picked up. Also, the mailbox never fills up. The whole house is my mailbox. :D

It would be, some big trunks there!

Good to hear you're dealing with them and all the best enjoying your cabin! :)

I do worry about the cabin. No fenceline to be concerned with. One of my first moves was to contact a friend that runs a forest management service. He came out and helped me develop a forest plan based on the health of trees, nearness to the cabin, etc.

Then he came out with a logger and removed the worst 10 near the cabin. We'll remove another 10 next year.

I paid him a couple of choice steaks.

The logger cost $500 for 6 hours of very efficient work. Incredible to watch the guy work.

(3) I *love* having a 4' high mail slot instead of a mailbox! I put a table under it (inside the house) and I no longer have to be concerned about ne'er-do-wells noticing that my mail isn't picked up. Also, the mailbox never fills up. The whole house is my mailbox. :D

This is a great feature that I also installed quite a few years ago. No walking to a mailbox at the end of the driveway or getting soaked in the rain (both me and the mail)
I also changed out all the wall switches to large rocker switches, installed motion sensor LED flood lights front and back of the house, LED lights throughout the house (wife tends to leave lights on everywhere), levers instead of knobs on all doors, and levers on all faucets.

A couple of things that I don't know why they are not included in all 2 story houses but are insignificant in the construction costs or even retrofitted are laundry chutes and dumb waiters.

These are a few of the things I would look for in buying a house.

Cheers!

Reactions: W2R
Maltese love to shred paper so a mail slot would not work. However, I just need to open the door to get the mail.

Well, turns out I'm finally over the original remorse!! :)

After about 3-4 weeks of gardening 5 or so hours a day in the styfling heat and tropical humidity I can now say that most of it is done and I can quite easiky manage it from now on. It was just so overgrown before that it looked really intimidating. It's been extremely sweaty but it's done

It's quieter than I even expected, so that's an absolute win and neighbours seem nice

The extra drive isn't so bad, it's just how it is for the serenity

We fet sooo much different wildlife here. All sorts of things we never saw at all just 15 minutes down the road. And the extra acerage is just perfect

It's great now!

Well, turns out I'm finally over the original remorse!! :)

After about 3-4 weeks of gardening 5 or so hours a day in the styfling heat and tropical humidity I can now say that most of it is done and I can quite easiky manage it from now on. It was just so overgrown before that it looked really intimidating. It's been extremely sweaty but it's done

It's quieter than I even expected, so that's an absolute win and neighbours seem nice

The extra drive isn't so bad, it's just how it is for the serenity

We fet sooo much different wildlife here. All sorts of things we never saw at all just 15 minutes down the road. And the extra acerage is just perfect

It's great now!
Wonderful! I'm so glad this turned out well. Quiet is a HUGE plus and what fun having so much different wildlife to watch or photograph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom