Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
............Why people make it more complicated than that is beyond me.
I think that the passing of a parent releases a lot of pent up sibling rivalry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MomsFavorite.jpg (36.0 KB, 95 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
People buy from estate sales to sell on eBay so if you have the time anything valuable would probably sell for more going straight to eBay, or for heavy items CL.
I would hope no heir would encourage an executor to go that route. The job takes a lot of time and energy as it is. If the executor does so voluntarily, or the heirs offer to compensate the executor for the extra work, that's different.

Heirs should recognize there's a trade-off between trying to get the most money, and the amount of time and effort required. It's not fair to expect an executor to put in hundreds of hours of volunteer labor so the heirs can get more money. Often the heirs don't want the stuff, they want the money. So if they want the money quickly, the stuff will have to be sold cheap.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post
I would hope no heir would encourage an executor to go that route. The job takes a lot of time and energy as it is. If the executor does so voluntarily, or the heirs offer to compensate the executor for the extra work, that's different.

Heirs should recognize there's a trade-off between trying to get the most money, and the amount of time and effort required. It's not fair to expect an executor to put in hundreds of hours of volunteer labor so the heirs can get more money. Often the heirs don't want the stuff, they want the money. So if they want the money quickly, the stuff will have to be sold cheap.
It doesn't have to be the executor doing the selling personally. Just mentioning that if sellers, maybe the heirs themselves, have free time, or maybe want to pay a college kid with free time a commission, they will probably get better prices with a wider and/or more targeted audience than one usually finds at estate sales.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am executor for my parents... The way we are going to do it is to hold a family "Auction", every family member can bid on all the items, when they are all gone... everything else gets sold. When it is done, all the money from the family auction plus the sale after will be divided among the kids.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudent_one View Post

Very good point. Neither DH nor his three siblings were remotely interested in getting up to speed on the process of selling his late parents' things online or otherwise. There were a couple of antique dealers who got in a bidding war over one piece and then left as soon as it was sold, and he said the rest of the bidders were probably ebayers or hoarders. The sibs didn't care as they wanted the emotional closure more than the $$ anyway.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I understand that for many heirs / executors they would rather not have to deal with the time or memories of prolonged sales. But the reason I mention it is that I do go to estate sales and I always ask the estate sales people a lot of questions and what happens to the unsold items. At one sale the family was going to take over and sell the remaining items on eBay or CL. But what was left over was the picked over stuff. If they were going to do some selling on their their own anyway, I think they would have come out ahead selling the high value items like the 65" TV on their own and left the lower value stuff for the estate people to sell off. I think the family thought the estate people were the experts and would get top dollar for the most expensive items, when I don't think that was the case at all. The sales person told me she priced the art by looking up the artist's name on eBay.