Do guys notice a woman's make up and jewelries?

GoodSense

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know this is no iVillage, so I think I may be able to get more honest answers.

I was invited to a Sex & the City party this weekend. There is something about the movie that just makes one want to spend money, even for LBMM people like me. But I am also quite sure few men notice what brand of handbag a woman is carrying.

So my question is for all men or women with some perspective: Do men actually notice a woman's make up (purple vs brown eye shadows, for example) or earrings (stud vs dangly)? Or whether her eyebrows are waxed?

A follow-up question for men: Do you think women in general look better 1) without make up, 2) with light make up, or 3) with lots of make up?

Just an informal opinion poll. Thanks!

jewelries

I think that the less the better, of all categories. Take jewelries, if a gal shows up with tons of bauble, perhaps she has concentrated on getting those from former men, and as such isnt really into other people, but her own jewelry collection.

I know this is no iVillage, so I think I may be able to get more honest answers.

I was invited to a Sex & the City party this weekend. There is something about the movie that just makes one wants to spend money, even for LBMM people like me. But I am also quite sure few men notice what brand of handbag a woman is carrying.

So my question is for all men or women with some perspective: Do men actually notice a woman's make up (purple vs brown eye shadows, for example) or earrings (stud vs dangly)? Or whether her eyebrows are waxed?

A follow-up question for men: Do you think women in general look better 1) without make up, 2) with light make up, or 3) with lots of make up?

Just an informal opinion poll. Thanks!

The answer is as variable as the shape of a snowflake.

But women tend to be far more critical and particular about how other women look and dress than men do.

Example of women's conversation when a woman walks in:
"... and her earrings, they were way too large, and they didn't go with her hair at all."

"Can you believe the heels she was wearing? And the skirt had to have been..."

Example of men's conversation when same woman walks in:
"Dude, she was hot."

"Yep."

Probably a bit of exaggeration. But not by much.

(Disclaimer: I think it's pretty obvious that these generalities don't hold true for everyone of either gender. Over the years, however, I've never heard another guy discuss fashion specifics when speaking of a woman; contrarily, I've heard many comments from women regarding how another woman is dressed/made-up.)

Haha. Thank you both for the feedback. That was a funny example of a conversation, and probably not too far from the truth. So for all the women who spends hundreds of dollars on make up and jewelry, the return on investment is probably dismal.

The only time I heard a straight guy talk about fashion is Stephen Colbert in this video:YouTube - Stephen Colbert at Glamour Women of the Year Awards

In my opinion, if you notice the makeup there is something wrong - so less makeup is best.
Things I don't notice unless they are out of place (nor do I think most men understand) are handbags and shoes. I have noticed that women who are into shoes are usually high maintenance.

the only thing i notice about make-up on women is that it makes them all look the same. tough enough for me to tell the difference between one female and another anyway, as that was never my focus. with make-up, i've got not a chance to tell yas apart. you might as well be wearing a ski mask. i met some of the stall tenants (horse owner's) at my nephew's barmitzva last night. i guarantee when these women show up unmade for riding, i won't have a clue who they are or that i'd just met them. that's just my opinion on body paint; you don't want to know my opinion on sticking metal through your skin.

Yeah, I notice makeup and jewelry.....not too impressed by either.....and too much of either normally looks tacky....IMHO.

As for the follow-up question.....it all depends. Every barn is different, some don't need to be painted (yet), some could just use a little touch up here and there, and some need a bunch of painting done to them......same with women. :rolleyes:

So for all the women who spends hundreds of dollars on make up and jewelry, the return on investment is probably dismal.

Not true at all unless you are trying to bag a guy similar to those on this board.

I am a tango dancer so I see many women young and older who make-up very well. I appreciate it. Only a few women have no skill, most of them are very good at using makeup and if you watch who gets danced with it is usually those who are dramatically made-up and dressed.

My former wife is very pretty and also very skillfull with makeup and clothing. I often gave her jewelry, because we both like it. I think it is a tragedy to have a young pretty wife or girlfriend and not give her the money to look as good as she can. Not everyone can, and eventually almost no-one can. It's like Buffett says-"Don't save sex for your old age."

Why do trannies look so good? Because they are tall and very good with make-up.

ha

Being from the farm belt, I've always found barns fascinating. I prefer an even red paint job but it's what's up in the loft that counts. Yes, I do like to see a little farm jewelry, pitchforks make interesting patterns.

I don't particularly focus on details like the style of jewelry, color of make up or brand of handbags. I look at the whole package. I personally have a weakness for subtle sophistication (think Audrey Hepburn in "breakfast at tiffany's" or Megan Mullally's Karen Walker on "Will and Grace"): discrete and light make up, simple but well-cut and tailored clothes, a few simple pieces of jewelry, sophisticated but not overdone hairstyle... I am also sensitive to a woman's posture, demeanor, and walk.

I tend to look at all women as being equal. Their attractiveness and sexiness begins to grow when they open their mouth and being to speak. The more intelligent and thoughtful conversationalists that can opine ideas of obvious wisdom, or carry on interesting banter showing a grasp of understanding of the topic at hand, drives their aura of sexiness and beauty. Given this criteria, I seldom notice makeup or jewelry unless overdone, out of place, or distracting from concentrating on the woman's comments. I think most women use jewelry to attempt to draw attention to certain features, and distract from others. In truth, myself and others that I have hung with, find it all too distracting from appreciating the total woman. IMHO

I only notice makeup if too much is worn and that is not good.

I can see right through the material stuff...clothing and hair style and other things.

What I will notice within seconds is if a girl is fit or thin that is very attractive to me.

I have this girl that walks in my plan that wears basically rags...just really cheap clothes and no makeup and she is really a good looking girl.

So for my own tastes all that money spent on makeup and jewelry would be much better spent on getting some exercise and eating right.

If she is fit or thin and has a nice personality I don't care if she want to live in sweat pants.

And no amount of jewelry or makeup or hairstyle will make up for someone who looks like mama cass for my tastes anyway.

So on a scale of 1 to 10 jewelry and makeup matter to me about a zero.

Jim

I do not like any makeup, lipstick, nail polish, jewelry, waxing, piercings, tattoos, hair coloring, and especially eye shadow. I think they make women look clownish, especially when trowelled on thick. I have never seen a woman that I thought looked better with any of the above. Perfumes are even worse. I also cannot imagine noticing the kind of shoes, glasses or handbag that a woman carries. Logical thinking, emotional stability - now those are attractive.

This is an interesting debate--it's almost worth a poll!

I think for some women, me included, putting on high-heel shoes, make up and a pair of earrings gives us confidence, therefore improves our self-esteem and possibly posture. So even if the guys don't notice it, it still makes us feel better.

What about glasses? Are they seen as nerdy, or just Tina Fey hot? Or doesn't matter (as CyclingInvestor stated)? I always feel less attractive when I wear glasses, even fashionable new ones.

I think it is a tragedy to have a young pretty wife or girlfriend and not give her the money to look as good as she can. Not everyone can, and eventually almost no-one can. It's like Buffett says-"Don't save sex for your old age."

That's exactly how I felt after watching "Sex & the City." I had the urge to go out and by 10 pairs of high-heel stilettos in every color. Then I remembered I was married & DH doesn't seem to notice what I wear anyway...So I checked my portfolio online instead, and seeing what I saw, completely relinquished the thought of spending more money. :duh:

I think for some women, me included, putting on high-heel shoes, make up and a pair of earrings gives us confidence, therefore improves our self-esteem and possibly posture. So even if the guys don't notice it, it still makes us feel better.

I asked my last girlfriend why she always felt like putting on makeup when I thought she looked better without it, and she told me this exact same thing. Well, without the high heels because she doesn't like to wear them.

Personally, I think a woman who always has to go out decked out like that wouldn't be inclined to do anything where she might get a little dirty or ruffled up since she put so much effort into looking good. That's a turn off.

On an attractive woman, I do tend to notice a lot of things. Starting with size of the diamond ring on the left hand (none is best), although I think expensive shoes are wasted on 90% of straight guys.

The $64,000 question is do guys notice the girls because all of the hair, make up, clothes, result in her being more attractive, or do naturally good look woman just pay more attention to these things??

I think in general dressing sexy impresses guys, and dressing elegant impresses woman.

I think some (a lot?) of guys notice a woman's tasteful use of makeup and jewelry, but don't realize it. They just think the woman looks especially pretty or sexy, and don't realize that she is even wearing makeup (much less jewelry) unless these are done to excess and tasteless. These are the guys who just aren't tuned into the details of what a woman does to look pretty, because they just don't care as long as she DOES look pretty.

Other guys do notice and either like makeup/jewelry or don't. It all depends on the guy, IMO.

Socially, I really don't much care what the majority of guys think on these issues. I am usually dressing for one guy in particular and his opinion is the only one that matters to me.

At formal business meetings most women scientists and engineers where I work do wear discreet makeup/jewelry just as a guy would wear a tie at similar meetings. Otherwise, not so much at my work except for the secretaries, who really dress up no matter what's going on for some reason.

As another person stated, I don't notice make-up or jewelry (with the exception of the ring on the left hand), unless they are overdone. What I notice first, that can be controlled by the person, is the development of the deltoid (shoulder) muscles, then any other exposed muscles second. It doesn't take a lot of money to have a high level of fitness and being thin does not equate to being fit. Applying the correct make-up/jewelry doesn't require the person to have a good fashion sense, only money.

Y...it all depends. Every barn is different, some don't need to be painted
This brings something about pigs and lipstick to mind. :D I think many men can and do notice when a woman dresses well. And we respond to a well done, light touch on makeup. But more is not better, and brands don't matter. 90% of men are not going to care about where a woman bought her clothes or how much they cost. Most of us notice the overall effect - this applies to everything from party dresses to jeans and it applies to women of all shapes and sizes - not just "hotties."

At formal business meetings most women scientists and engineers where I work do wear discreet makeup/jewelry just as a guy would wear a tie at similar meetings. Otherwise, not so much at my work except for the secretaries, who really dress up no matter what's going on for some reason.

Where I worked over the years how women lawyers dressed changed dramatically. At first, it was always a suit, but not a pants suit, a suit with a skirt and a floppy bow tie. Very 1980s. Not the most comfortable to spend long hours at work. The floppy bow tie could be ditched at 5:00pm, just like the guys ditched their ties.

I can't remember when, but at some point I bought a suit with pants and wore it to work. When I retired the other women lawyers honored me for being the first to wear pants. :)

By the 2000s, the women lawyers as a group tended to dress the least formally, with most men still wearing the traditional suit and tie. We often would wear decent pants with sweaters. When I was president of the firm, I upped the quality of my dress, and usually wore a pants suit. Not bright colors ala Hillary, but the basic blues, grays and blacks. When I went part time I rarely met with clients and often came very casual. Now when I visit my office (I still maintain an office there even though retired) I wear jeans.

The women lawyers rarely wore makeup and jewelry or very little of both. Most of the female staff wear makeup and jewelry. Often they are better dressed than the women lawyers. My secretary always wore a skirt, heels, was very well made up and hair done nicely. The women lawyers tended to just have their hair chopped off short for ease of care.

Last edited:

I notice if the makeup is too heavy. More is not better, but some lightly applied doesn't hurt, it shows an effort being made. Lots of baubles are a huge turn-off since that implies high maintenance and a focus on junk.

Women wax their eyebrows? Whatever for?:confused:

I've seen the sex and the city movie and the series . It puts way too much emphasis on expensive bags & shoes . No wonder we have the financial diaster going on. They should have a new show on single & savings to encourage young women to step away from the designer bag counter and towards their roth IRA .

I am usually dressing for one guy in particular and his opinion is the only one that matters to me.

Thanks - you're looking great this morning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom