Do you have "luxuries" you treat yourself to?

The steaks I have done have quite a bit of variability despite my effort to do the same thing every time. It's more than I like to see.

I could have written down what and where I bought the meat, but I do not know if that helps. Different cows? Exactly where of the rib the cut was from? It's unknown to me.

Ah, while talking about eating, I remember that I bought several pounds of veal ossobuco recently when I spotted them at a local market. Never had that before, so I have been looking forward to doing a dish with that. Have enough there for a family dinner with my children too.

And then, I have 4 racks of lamb in the freezer that I also bought recently. Only my son-in-law enjoys lamb with me, so that is for just the 2 of us, and good for 2 meals.

Life is good. Why eat steak all the time?

PS. Here's what I have in mind for the veal (photo from the Web).

Veal-Osso-Bucco-with-Parmesan-Risotto.jpg

That's risotto as the base. How about polenta, which is easier to make? My mouth is watering already.

DSC_0094.JPG

Last edited:
Luxury is.

Morel mushrooms. Finding my own is best, if I see someone selling them almost as good.

I was gifted some at w*rk by a woman who said nothing good happened when she gifted morels to others.
I didn't come in that day so the gal gave them to someone else. He took them home before dinner his house was totally destroyed by a tornado! I didn't ask again.

Last edited:
Yes!! I love handbags. I proudly admit that I have my eye on a TOD's wave bag for 2500 bucks.

I have a daily coffee house black coffee since I am still working and need the treat: $2.41/day. Right now I'm paying off the kitchen remodel from last summer (will be done in April) and living frugally on everything else. It is all about trade offs.

Ah, while talking about eating, I remember that I bought several pounds of veal ossobuco recently when I spotted them at a local market. Never had that before, so I have been looking forward to doing a dish with that. Have enough there for a family dinner with my children too.

And then, I have 4 racks of lamb in the freezer that I also bought recently. Only my son-in-law enjoys lamb with me, so that is for just the 2 of us, and good for 2 meals.

Life is good. Why eat steak all the time?

PS. Here's what I have in mind for the veal (photo from the Web).

Veal-Osso-Bucco-with-Parmesan-Risotto.jpg

That's risotto as the base. How about polenta, which is easier to make? My mouth is watering already.

DSC_0094.JPG
One of my favorite dishes, actually, even though veal shanks are so expensive. I rarely see them, so when I do I splurge.

I usually serve with Arborio rice cooked in diluted chicken stock and a big pinch of saffron, with frozen peas thrown in, in the rice cooker. No need to do something as elaborate as risotto. This fragrant yellow rice goes great with oso bucco.

I'm going to buy a new high-DEF camera for storm chasing next spring/summer.

I am not usually a purse person but I bought myself and my daughter Coach bags .Of course they were on sale . We both love them.

I refuse to spend too much time on chasing monetary scraps and loose ends: rectifying clerical errors, getting the most possible cash back, and so on. If it doesn't pay at least $50 per hour of effort, I'm not doing it. Yes, this means that people and companies are able to chisel me out of a few bucks now and then with my knowledge, because they make it too hard to get the money back. But life is too short, now.

We feed ourselves extraordinarily well and only buy high quality booze. I'll live in a van down by the river before I compromise that. {And to the OP, I too add water to the shampoo bottle... and stick that sliver of soap to the next, new bar.....}

I refuse to spend too much time on chasing monetary scraps and loose ends: rectifying clerical errors, getting the most possible cash back, and so on. If it doesn't pay at least $50 per hour of effort, I'm not doing it. Yes, this means that people and companies are able to chisel me out of a few bucks now and then with my knowledge, because they make it too hard to get the money back. But life is too short, now.
Hear, hear!!!

Ah, but there is the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy taking back money from chiseling companies and consider it a public service. My cable company started charging a dollar a month for "other TV services". I don't have cable TV, just internet service, so they then admitted it was for a paper bill. A month later, they are still charging me, even though I went with electronic billing. Do that to a million customers and it is real money.

Whenever an interesting craft beer is on sale, as in half price, I'll buy a case and if I like it I'll stock up with about 10 cases, for future reference.

A nice bottle of Malbec or Carmenere. Simple pleasure. In the comfort of our own home, in front of the fire, listening to Vivaldi. As we are doing this very moment!

And coming in a few weeks...drinking them in the regions where they are made. That is a luxury.

Last edited:
A nice bottle of Malbec or Carmenere. Simple pleasure. In the comfort of our own home, in front of the fire, listening to Vivaldi. As we are doing this very moment!

And coming in a few weeks...drinking them in the regions where they are made. That is a luxury.
Early next summer, I will be in the town of Cognac. Have always wanted to visit the place, but have not had the occasion despite having been to France more than once. I call it a pilgrimage, not a luxury. ;)

Last edited:
I pull an entire sheet of paper towel off (instead of a half-sheet of 'select a size'). :LOL:

Better, softer toilet paper. :D

Also, like someone else mentioned, we tend now to stay at nicer hotels when we travel... nothing extravagant, but nicer and newer property.

I pull an entire sheet of paper towel off (instead of a half-sheet of 'select a size'). :LOL:

Those cost more. Been buying the whole sheets and cutting them in half sometimes thirds.;)

I buy high quality (generally British) shaving cream/soap. Feel a ton better using that over the grocery store brand with my de razor.

Back
Top Bottom