Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Feel About Your City?
I love my city passionately. There is no place I would rather be. 21 18.26%
I am pretty happy here, but if this were a human relationship it would be a tweener. 41 35.65%
No big deal or strong feelings either way. 23 20.00%
There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me. 23 20.00%
I detest being here; I can hardly wait to get a chance to move. 7 6.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I could almost live with the tax increase but...

Quote:
Not only are they raising taxes to avoid budget cuts, they're including a provision to let their spending continue to rise
— year after year.

Goodbye, jobs - chicagotribune.com
The other bad thing about this is they are raising corporate rates too. It's easy to say that does not affect me, but in the long run it is going to be very bad for Illinois. Fewer jobs means fewer people and businesses paying taxes.

Downward spiral. Damn it.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lived several places, but the two I like best, at least in this country, are Seattle, where I grew up, and San Diego, where I live now, retired. It seems that my tastes in this regard are similar to the OP's.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Pretty happy where I am now, but give me more time to really answer that one.
Hated Houston with a passion generally-speaking; DC was neither hot for nor hated; and did love big, 'ole dirty Chicago but the taxes are killing and the crime is too high.
and vice-versa.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I live in Wisconsin. .... The city I actually live in has very little to do but there's a bigger city <15 miles away that has plenty of nightlife and other things that appeal to me....
Local option?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey, wow. We stopped in Moscow, Idaho on a recent trip, and were very impressed. We said "What's a neat, sophisticated little town like this doing here in the middle of nowhere?"

We had coffee and used the Internet in a coffee shop that had a lot of big couches and several rooms -- I'm sure you know it.

No pictures, just this one about 30 miles south of Moscow:

Nice picture of the Lewiston Grade, T-Al. I love the look on peoples faces the first time they see the grade. It's a 3000' drop that comes out of nowhere! I drive it twice a week to go to work.

The presence of two large universities in the area has a LOT to do with that sophisticated vibe you noted. Makes the town a lot of fun.

I strongly suspect you had coffee at One World Cafe. That is about a 5 minute walk from my house. What brought you to the area? Bike trip on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes, perhaps?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey, wow. We stopped in Moscow, Idaho on a recent trip, and were very impressed. We said "What's a neat, sophisticated little town like this doing here in the middle of nowhere?"
I had similar experiences; in Fort Benton, Montana last Spring (This was, among other things, the end of the line for Steamships going up the Missouri River from St. Louis.) And the year before in Silver City, New Mexico. It is a wonderful experience to go into a town and feel like you have come "home."

In those first moments, in those two towns, if asked, I would have moved there without second thoughts.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #67

I grew up in Havre, near Fort Benton. It was a nice little town then. I hear it is even nicer now. They spruced it up for the Lewis and Clark bicentennial. So much history there.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #68

My wife and I are quite happy here in Waimanalo (means "good water"), a sleepy little village on the east shore of Oahu whose residents mostly work in Honolulu, I suppose, if they are not retired like us, or involved in the nursery trade or horse stables here locally.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
My wife and I are quite happy here in Waimanalo (means "good water"), a sleepy little village on the east shore of Oahu whose residents mostly work in Honolulu, I suppose, if they are not retired like us, or involved in the nursery trade or horse stables here locally.
I've never met anyone who is unhappy is the great state of Hawaii. Better keep this to youself - it's not such a big place. If we all pile in there you'll run out of room pronto
Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I love where I live now. A lovely but rather busy suburb of Washington DC. The cost of living is too high to ER where I live now. I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc. So when I want to see people I drive for 10 minutes, when I want solitude I just return to my home at the beach. I am perfectly content when I am there.
The beach town sounds perfect - that's what I miss in the midwest...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #71

I moved to the midwest from the northeast. I didn't realize how different the culture would be. I've been here 24 years and still don't feel bonded to it.

The main thing I miss is the ability to easily go to the beach, or mountains - I mean for the day, not after a 10 hour drive. Especially, I miss the ocean. I don't know what I was thinking... Just that Boston had gotten too intense for me.

I also find people are way too polite here - they don't say what they think, they say what they think they should say. It's weird for me. I got used to it - like, when people asked me how I was doing, I was supposed to say "great, how about you?". Even if I was recovering from bronchitis or cancer... the answer is that you're great, or fine, or whatever. It's not supposed to be the real answer.

OTOH it's much cheaper to live here, and the salaries were not that much lower. So I was able to retire. But I miss my friends and family - on both coasts, mostly - and the ocean. I was unprepared for that.

I can't leave now - SO's mother is our responsibility and she's here.

I think for me and for many others, where our roots and families are have a lot to do with it. I grew up in a (cold) beach culture. I had no idea.

I've travelled extensively and found places I thought I'd like to live in, but really have only lived in 3 cities. Strange.

Sorry if this is a rant!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I moved to the midwest from the northeast. I didn't realize how different the culture would be. I've been here 24 years and still don't feel bonded to it.

The main thing I miss is the ability to easily go to the beach, or mountains - I mean for the day, not after a 10 hour drive. Especially, I miss the ocean. I don't know what I was thinking... Just that Boston had gotten too intense for me.

I also find people are way too polite here - they don't say what they think, they say what they think they should say. It's weird for me. I got used to it - like, when people asked me how I was doing, I was supposed to say "great, how about you?". Even if I was recovering from bronchitis or cancer... the answer is that you're great, or fine, or whatever. It's not supposed to be the real answer.

OTOH it's much cheaper to live here, and the salaries were not that much lower. So I was able to retire. But I miss my friends and family - on both coasts, mostly - and the ocean. I was unprepared for that.

I can't leave now - SO's mother is our responsibility and she's here.

I think for me and for many others, where our roots and families are have a lot to do with it. I grew up in a (cold) beach culture. I had no idea.

I've travelled extensively and found places I thought I'd like to live in, but really have only lived in 3 cities. Strange.

Sorry if this is a rant!
Don´t apologize. Being unhappy about where you live, and not being able to leave it due to family responsabilities is not a sin. And I am sure you are not the only one in that situation.
But you´ve mentioned having lived there 24 years......You can´t have been unhappy all those many years....

Well, maybe "unhappy" is too strong a word, but you get my drift....

Couldn´t you have moved out earlier?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Don´t apologize. Being unhappy about where you live, and not being able to leave it due to family responsabilities is not a sin. And I am sure you are not the only one in that situation.
But you´ve mentioned having lived there 24 years......You can´t have been unhappy all those many years....

Well, maybe "unhappy" is too strong a word, but you get my drift....

Couldn´t you have moved out earlier?
Thanks!

The problem was, I owned a house, and had a SO - while I could have sold the house, I couldn't move the SO.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #74
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I've never met anyone who is unhappy is the great state of Hawaii. Better keep this to youself - it's not such a big place. If we all pile in there you'll run out of room pronto
Plus it may sink with all those extra people on it! ...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #75

Thinker, my DH had a few opportunities early in his career (unlike me, he's always worked in corporate cultures) to move for a promotion. We know that once you turn those down, you don't get any more. And we were okay with that.

I'm glad that it worked out for us to live where we wanted and just let the jobs be whatever they were, but I made it clear to him when we were dating those first 4 years that I'd never leave Charleston permanently. Born in the sight of water and all that.

When I worked for Habitat, there were some retired "big guns" on our board who lived on Kiawah, which is the fancy resort for retired Yankee executives near here, and was shocked by their stories of moving 8-10 times during the course of their career (one lady said that they moved 21 times) to accept promotions within their corporations.

I hope when SO's mom passes that you can move closer to the ocean. Or that she will let you move her with you.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
and vice-versa.
Good one, Westernskies, by the way! +1

My son still lives on the Illinois-Iowa border, and I am getting weekly texts about the raising of the taxes in Illinois. I think Illinois is trying to "borrow" something like $6 billion dollars (someone from lllinois correct me). That State is in a heap of trouble now...and they can thank Chicago's powers that be for that.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #77

It's been almost 20 years since I've been back to SIU Carbondale. Several of my friends want a reunion there, but it's just too far now since I live in MN. I'm hinting at Chicago.

Class of 89 CTC program, 90 AJ program, and Army ROTC for the first 2 years.

I hear you on the state income tax.... alot of upset people in IL right now. But it could be worse, move to MN for DW's family and welcome to state income tax of about 7.85% from IL 3% in 2004 =(

Hang in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Well, the climate is nicer. However Carbondale residents also woke up today to find that the lame duck legislature had voted in the largest income tax increase in state history.

So no
Old 01-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thinker, my DH had a few opportunities early in his career (unlike me, he's always worked in corporate cultures) to move for a promotion. We know that once you turn those down, you don't get any more. And we were okay with that.

I'm glad that it worked out for us to live where we wanted and just let the jobs be whatever they were, but I made it clear to him when we were dating those first 4 years that I'd never leave Charleston permanently. Born in the sight of water and all that.

When I worked for Habitat, there were some retired "big guns" on our board who lived on Kiawah, which is the fancy resort for retired Yankee executives near here, and was shocked by their stories of moving 8-10 times during the course of their career (one lady said that they moved 21 times) to accept promotions within their corporations.

I hope when SO's mom passes that you can move closer to the ocean. Or that she will let you move her with you.
Unfortunately she will never move except within this metro area. And never live with us. She'd drive us mad.

Unfortunately with the amount of stuff my SO has for his work - it dwarfs mine! - I don't know whether we could move. I have a bad feeling that I'm stuck here.

I had lived here for 6 years when we met - he has entertained the notion of moving, but when it comes to actually doing it, he won't. He's never lived anywhere else. And I don't think he'd like the cost of living on the coast...

I plan to manage with lots of trips. We've been together 18 years and I've come to realize it's just not going to happen.

How's the cost of living in SC? The climate sure beats southern New England, where I'm from.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Good one, Westernskies, by the way! +1

My son still lives on the Illinois-Iowa border, and I am getting weekly texts about the raising of the taxes in Illinois. I think Illinois is trying to "borrow" something like $6 billion dollars (someone from lllinois correct me). That State is in a heap of trouble now...and they can thank Chicago's powers that be for that.
I've read that the state thinks that they can raise about $6b with the tax increase and they want to borrow anywhere from $12-15b (depending on the news source).

The depressing part to me is not the tax increase - its the state's reluctance to realize that they have a financial problem and need to cut spending. They have no intention of cutting spending. The State debt will only increase once they have spent the proceeds of the tax increase without paying down the debt.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmmm...maybe.........as long as it's chocolate!

Make mine Bluebell Rocky Road, please!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote