Do You Love Your City?

How Do You Feel About Your City?

• I love my city passionately. There is no place I would rather be.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I am pretty happy here, but if this were a human relationship it would be a tweener.

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • No big deal or strong feelings either way.

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • There are lots of places where I would rather be, but it is not getting to me.

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • I detest being here; I can hardly wait to get a chance to move.

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I realize not everyone lives in a city, and if it is possible to have feelings of love for a town or suburb, that counts too. Also, I would count as your city one that is close enough that you might easily go for a night on the town without needing to stay over, or drive home at 3AM.

I do love my city, Seattle. I don't just like it, I love it. Sometimes when I am walking down the hill and I see the Bay and the gray sky and all the people I feel a rush.

My love has built slowly over the years. When I first came here from California I loved the outdoors here, but thought the city was not much. Now I can't imagine myself anywhere else.

I also loved the LA beach city where I lived, and San Francisco too. That's all- Boston had a lot to do, and was very interesting historically. Also the downtown was pretty, but for me it had the wrong vibe and I couldn't wait to point my car west.

How do you feel about your city?

I love my little town: Moscow, Idaho. Outdoor recreation heaven.

No, I don't love my little town. Got friends here so that makes it OK. After dear old Mom is gone, not sure if I will stay here or not. I will probably travel more at that point, so I might use it as my home base.:-\ I can't see myself living in a big city.

Well, to be honest, I love New Orleans passionately. Even more, I am under its overwhelming spell. I love the architecture, the language, the culture, the street names, the music, the cemetaries, the art, the history, the spiritual vibrance, and most of all the people. I am not just in the city, by now I am of the city.

OK! Whew. Got that out, at the risk that nobody will understand why I am planning to move away. :LOL:

One can love a place and still have to go. There are so many reasons, and unlike the reasons to stay, these are more rational than emotional. One of the saddest things about Hurricane Katrina was how drastically it shortened the lifespan of elderly survivors. And then only pieces remain of the city that I love. The crime here is almost unliveable and getting worse every day if possible, and again this is hard on the elderly. Finally there is the fact that my dearest friend is determined to move, and I am determined to follow him.

New Orleans isn't the only city I have loved, but it is a wonderful city. I am pretty happy wherever I have lived in the past.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about where I live now .It's just okay . Venice fl. which has a smaller town feel fit me better . I really like small quaint towns with cute down towns and walk ability .

I like my current city very much, but there is not much to love about it. Looking back, I only loved passionately one city, Lyon, in southeastern France.

I don't love my city, not in a passionate, love to wander about, get involved, photograph, how lucky I am to live here sort of way. My relationship with it is transactional. It's where my j*b is.

But I am moving in 2011, and my answer might be different next year!

:cool:

I love people (well some) and my kitties. I don't love my city, but I like it and don't plan to move any time soon.

I do miss St. Louis even though the winters can be harsh there. Most of my close friends live in the St. Louis area and I miss them dearly.

Nope. I've never found anywhere I love. I hated the DC metro area. I liked Richmond when I lived there. I like Ocean City between Labor Day and Memorial Day (when the tourists are gone), but I don't love it. I can't really picture anyplace I would love. I don't think I've got it in me. DW, family, dogs, my life, yes. A place? No.

I really like Louisville in that it is a fairly large city that has somehow kept the feel of a much smaller city. Wish downtown were more vibrant but that seems to finally be changing for the better.

I both love and hate the city of my birth (NYC). But mostly, I do not think I fit it any more and am ready to move on. Frankly, I am increasingly less than wild about the idea of living in any city. My current abode is a town of about 9,000. Its home and I know it very well, but I do not love it.

But do you love ice cream? :)
Hmmmm...maybe....
smiley-ashamed005.gif
.....as long as it's chocolate! :D

I'm not sure you guys would call my home town a city. Anyway, on the plus side, it contains 90% of my friends, is only 5 hours (by air) from PVR and you can't beat 19 hours of daylight with temps between 60 & 95. Close to the great outdoors, fishing, hiking, canoeing, mosquito killing and other natural activities.

I only [-]hate the weather[/-] freeze 8 months of the year, the rest is great.

I do love it and have lived here longer than anywhere I've lived in the past. Have moved around a fair amount and also enjoyed SF, LA beach town and some great towns in the Southwest.

I really do love it here but I could be happy elsewhere. New Orleans puts a smile on my face but I'm not sure about a long term stay. Hawaii is also one of those places that makes me content. I may be stating the obvious here.

We have moved back to Portland. I love this city, not only because I have grandchildren here but because it has a strong sense of community.

There is no heaven on earth but this is as close as it gets for us.

If you haven't noticed it before, those of us who live in the Pacific NW are a contented lot.

Meadbh said:
I don't love my city, not in a passionate, love to wander about, get involved, photograph, how lucky I am to live here sort of way. My relationship with it is transactional. It's where my j*b is.

Oh? Are congratulations in order?

We love many cities.

I would be happy to live in Copenhagen again. Seattle. Kirkland. Portland. Ashland. There are a few cities in Japan I could get very attached to. NOLA, of course! Red Stick. Sarnia. Calgary. Pensacola. Oh, yeah--Bellingham. (How could I forget?)

My father told me once there were only two kinds of people in the world: those who stayed home and those who didn't. We didn't. The world is full of wonderful places. There are several on my list to see.

ol' Ed

One of the concepts I picked up from the military is that the two best places on earth are: The one you just departed and the one you are going to after the one you are currently at.
That said, San Antonio was great, the Ozarks are OK, but wait til you see what is next!!:blush:

I love where I live now. A lovely but rather busy suburb of Washington DC. The cost of living is too high to ER where I live now. I also love a beach town in North Carolina where I bought a beachfront condo back in 2003 with the plan to live there when I retire in 2014. That beach town is on a island only 2 miles long. Completely quiet in the off-season. Even on the 4th of July weekend, the sandy beach in front of my condo had a "crowd" of 7 persons! Yet this island is only a 10 minute drive from a larger town which offers a lot of history, vibrant night life, awesome restaurants, universities, boutiques, cafes, great bookstores, running, walking, and kayaking clubs, etc. So when I want to see people I drive for 10 minutes, when I want solitude I just return to my home at the beach. I am perfectly content when I am there.

:cool:
Pick a better place, North of 49 will probably suit you. South disappoint the rest.

Back
Top Bottom