Do you remember? Nostalgia

Great stories!

Walking to school without being afraid.

New red leather shoes that I almost ruined when I broke a frozen mud puddle.

Spaghetti from scratch cooked all day in Mom's dutch oven - by Mom.

Playing kick the can, hide & go seek, and freeze tag. Running as fast as I could!

Galloping to school, pretending to be a horse.

Skating to the grocery store for candy.

Finding a huge pile of comic books one summer that kept my siblings & I busy...Donald Duck, Richie Rich, Uncle Scrooge, Archie, Superman, plus....

Nancy Drew

Summer days at the park

Blackberry pickin'...and selling them to the neighbors to earn money for swimming at the town pool.

I'd say, the 50's and 60's were pretty much a golden age for America.

I remember my HS chemistry professor showing us how to make "polish cannons" witjh Pringles cans and tennis balls and gas from the Bunsen burner..........:)

My brother and I built one with baby carriage wheels and won the neighborhood soap box race. Our greatest joy was beating out the doctor's kid who's dad bought expensive components and assembled his cart for him. We never had Estes rockets but we did make rockets from CO2 cartridges filled with match heads (the cardboard ones, not self lighting). Anybody else pull that stupid stunt?

Another interesting pass-time was walking a couple of miles to the swamps along the railroad tracks. We would walk around in the shin deep muck and catch tadpoles which we kept in jars. Snakes too occasionally. This was in the city on the south side Chicago, not in Walden Pond. Nature rules. Oh, yeah, and riding bikes 10 miles west to Maple Lake with another kid on the handlebars -- must be why I still like cycling.

Ah, the rr tracks on the southside of Chicago - knew them well. Nabisco hill area swamps were great for a bike trip (took a bagged lunch with us). Under the rock/logs in the swamps would catch crayfish (or something resembling).

Fishing/picnics at Maple Lake was excellent! Remember one 4th of July when I was probably 12 yrs old along with my brother who was 8 and a friend who was 11 when our parents took us to the foresrt preserve to blow off crackers. Alll of a sudden, a cook county sheriff squad car comes by and us kids run into forest (our parents stayed put on a bench). When we thought the coast was clear, we scurried back to the car only to have the sheriffs intercept us. They took our crackers and told us to be on our way.

Made our own baseball/football field at the rr property at 55th/St. Louis. Had black bits of charcoal under our skin for years!

Fishing at Marquette park and later golfing there as well! Fond memories.

Back
Top Bottom