Do you think Social Security will be there?

What age groups should collect at age 66 or 67

• over 60

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 55 to 60

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 50 to 55

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • 40 to 50

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • under 40

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
What age groups are most likely to collect Social Security benefits when they are age 66.

What do you think about Medicare?

"We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we
cannot guarantee their purchasing power"

-Greenspan

I believe it.

Marshac said:
"We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we
cannot guarantee their purchasing power"

-Greenspan

I believe it.
Exactly. It would be political suicide for a politician to eliminate SS benefits -- but eliminating realistic COLA, taxing more of the benefits, . . . they can probably get away with. :)

There is no talk about Medicare because you'd then have to talk about healthcare costs.

: What age groups should collect at age 66 or 67
You may only select up to 5 options.

I dont understand what you're asking here GTM. What age groups should collect?? umm, those 62 or older?

Yep, GTM,
DW and I are 62 years young, and we're both collecting. 

I think anybody working right now will collect something. May not be much, but it'll be something. And they may raise the amount you pay into SS. But as a 25 year old, I'm pretty sure I'll get something. Don't know how much. It doesn't factor in to my ER plans much though.

There will be something there, but not what we have now and not what some people expect.

I dont and wont be factoring SS into any of my ER calculations or expectations. If its there, whatever it is, we'll use it for splurge money.

Is this a "raise the retirement age question" or a "who should be cut out" question?

Tadpole said:
Is this a "raise the retirement age question" or a "who should be cut out" question?

I have an answer to that. Cut off anyone under 60 on Jan1, 2006. Then double triple the benfits for those between 60 and 65.  Leave the rest alone.

JMHO.

Ha

HaHa said:
I have an answer to that. Cut off anyone under 60 on Jan1, 2006. Then double triple the benfits for those between 60 and 65.  Leave the rest alone.

JMHO.

Ha
I'm onboard. Do it. Generation warfare and all that. :)

If we throw in one last clause, that anyone under 60 who shoots anyone over 60 gets their benefits, then i'm onboard completely ;)

() said:
If we throw in one last clause, that anyone under 60 who shoots anyone over 60 gets their benefits, then i'm onboard completely ;)

sign me up for this plan. How much does the huntin' license cost? And how many can we shoot per season?

Scratch that - I just realized that SS is only valid for the life of the recipient. Once you shoot the 60 year old, the SS payments end, which means you get nothing. They aren't worth the bullets.. ;)

Well thats the beauty of the plan. For starters, the law would change to allow their benefits to flow to the shooter, then after the population of people over 60 is reduced, there will be plenty of residual money left in the social security program to pay the benefits to the folks under 60 when they retire.

But they better be quick and know good places to hide out once they finish eatin' that birthday cake.

You see? Innovative and simple solutions to complex problems DO exist.

I don't know, smells a little fishy. Or is that the smell of genocide? (Geriatricide?)

() said:
You see, theres always some malcontent that wants to put a bad name on a good plan...;)
Is it possible to invoke Godwin's Law when a thread has only two posts?!?

Nords said:
Is it possible to invoke Godwin's Law when a thread has only two posts?!?

Hey, stop being so narrow minded. There are plenty of maniacal genocidal killers in recent history besides Hitler - Pol Pot for one.

Genocide just sounds terrible. How about we call it 'culling', or 'putting them to sleep'...hey i've got it, they're all going to "go live on a farm"! :LOL:

How about "facilitation of wealth transfer". Supposed to be good for societies in limited doses, right?

justin said:
There are plenty of maniacal genocidal killers in recent history besides Hitler - Pol Pot for one.
I think you've just created Justin's Corollary to Godwin's Law!

justin said:
How about "facilitation of wealth transfer".
Nah, we already call that "Social Security" or "inheritance tax".

I guess Pol Pot needs a marketing campaign. He must be pissed that everytime someone wants to invoke a madman they throw out hitler without even considering other options.

justin said:
Hey, stop being so narrow minded.  There are plenty of maniacal genocidal killers in recent history besides Hitler - Pol Pot for one. 

Don't forget about Stalin; he managed to kill tens of millions of his own people too.

As for the topic at hand.. yes I believe that SS will be there at least for the next 30 years. I might not be but I believe SS will still be around in one form or another.

This discussion has gone bad. I guess I have to withdraw my original modest proposal.  :)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom