Dodge and Chrysler Minivans

Another Reader

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have been looking at vans and similar products to carry cargo, animals and people. Most of the foreign minivans are great for carrying people but not much better than an SUV at other functions.

Someone I know bought a Grand Caravan for their rescue group. She researched the Japanese minivans, the Ford Transit, and the Nissan equivalent. By getting the seats that fold into the floor, she has more usable carrying capacity than any of the competition and easier loading and unloading.

I don't have a high opinion of American cars in general and of Chrysler products in particular. I know American cars have improved, but not having owned one since 1978, I'm not sure how much.

I did have a conversation with a grandmother getting new tires at Costco for one that was about three years old. She was on her second Chrysler van, and traded her previous model at 115k miles with no mechanical issues. They vacation with their grand kids in theirs and put a decent number of miles on every year. One of my neighbors has one, and they have not had any problems with it.

These vans are substantially cheaper than the foreign competition. Discounts from sticker on the Grand Caravan are around $8k, making the price around $20k. A Transit is in the same range, maybe a few dollars more.

Does anyone own one of the Chrysler/Dodge minivans of the current generation? What are the pluses and minuses? Any features you would recommend or avoid?

I strongly suggest you visit your local public library and look up the April 2018 issue of Consumer Reports. This issue is their annual auto issue and it includes detailed graphics of the reliability of hundreds of automobiles. The graphics break it down my electrical system, cooling, engine, accessories, etc. for each model year.

That's on my research list. I'm also interested in personal experiences and other products that might perform similar functions as well or nearly as well but are better quality that I might not have considered.

I don't have a great affinity towards Chrysler products myself. That doesn't preclude me from considering them when the time comes. My needs of a vehicle are a big part of my decision making process. I consider everything that fills those needs. I also consider reliability and ease of finding service. No one make or model ever checked all the boxes for me. Then the balancing act begins.

Chrysler invented the modern minivan and have been improving the capabilities over many decades. They do a very good job of matching features to customer needs. Do your due diligence. And definitely consider the CR ratings but temper them with other items on your list.

My last Chrysler product was from before the Fiat purchase. That PT Cruiser did a good job at meeting my needs and wants but had many issues to be fixed along the way. In 12 years that I owned it, it had transmission, charging, power steering, brake caliper and sway bar issues and the front K-frame rusted out. I'm sure I am missing something.

Sorry you have a bad opinion of domestic vehicles. You have missed out on some very competitive vehicles at preferred prices vs. "foreign cars."

Mini vans are fantastic vehicles, however the retail market is making a swing to big and small SUVs at the present time. Vans don't have much towing and weight carrying capabilities because they have to be built like tanks to keep from flexing and squeaking. Tanks are inherently heavy prior to adding 2.3 kids, the family dog, 2 parents and all their stuff.

FCA built minivans are really good vehicles in quality, and the Chrysler V6 engines are truly world class. If you can get one in the low $20s, jump on it. But make sure it has dual a/c and navigation. That sounds awfully cheap to me.

I have not ridden in any minivan in years, but the last Chrysler minivan I rented ride and drove like a Cadillac. And it was last generation. I have a fully dressed Explorer and it is every bit as good as our last Lexus RX.

Go for it if they are so much cheaper than the foreign competition.

Not to knock CR or anything, but I find their ratings to be "meh". I could ramble on and on, but I will save everyone the aggrevation. :)

True Delta is a very good website that compiles data from actual owners for specific cars. I have found that issues we have had (as minor as they may be) have been identified by others and I have found them on that website.

And a minivan? Can't help you there...don't think I will ever own one. :D

But make sure it has dual a/c and navigation. That sounds awfully cheap to me.

Navigation? I can't fathom spending several thousand dollars on a package that would include a map that will be outdated 10 minutes after you drive off the lot. Instead, I would use your phone or perhaps a dedicated, used tablet that you can get for $100. You are able to download Google maps for offline use, so you don't even have to use data while you are out and about.

I have been a full time mini-van driver since 1989. My choice is for 2 reasons. I'm a larger individual and mini-vans are just more comfortable. The primary reason is that I like to haul stuff around.

My first two mini-vans (1989, 1996) were Dodge Caravans. Each lasted about 130K before I started to have significant mechanical issues.

I decided to switch to the Honda Odyssey (2002, 2008) and I love them. 249K on the first one before issues. My current Oddy has 230K and going strong.

$/mile, the Odyssey is the hands down winner.

As for the cargo space, I wanted something that I could load a stack of 4x8 plywood. They Oddy is perfect for me.

DW is active in both training and showing dogs. We’re getting close to pulling the trigger on a new Pacifica. The difference in comfort, power, road noise, and resale between it and the Transit have been the determining factors. Several of her friends/acquaintances in that world love their older town and country’s and swear by them.

As others have said, do your research, drive both, and then decide. One tidbit, the hybrid’s batteries use the space for the stow and go seat functionality. Removing them did not appear to be a simple task. Also, towing anything will void the warranty. So, no hybrid for us.

Sorry you have a bad opinion of domestic vehicles. You have missed out on some very competitive vehicles at preferred prices vs. "foreign cars."

Mini vans are fantastic vehicles, however the retail market is making a swing to big and small SUVs at the present time. Vans don't have much towing and weight carrying capabilities because they have to be built like tanks to keep from flexing and squeaking. Tanks are inherently heavy prior to adding 2.3 kids, the family dog, 2 parents and all their stuff.

FCA built minivans are really good vehicles in quality, and the Chrysler V6 engines are truly world class. If you can get one in the low $20s, jump on it. But make sure it has dual a/c and navigation. That sounds awfully cheap to me.

I have not ridden in any minivan in years, but the last Chrysler minivan I rented ride and drove like a Cadillac. And it was last generation. I have a fully dressed Explorer and it is every bit as good as our last Lexus RX.

Go for it if they are so much cheaper than the foreign competition.

This is Silly Valley and the Bay Area. You see a lot of German and Japanese SUV's and the minivans from Toyota and Honda. Nobody would be caught dead in a Dodge or Chrysler product. Manufacturer cash allowance in California for the Grand Caravan is $4k, and the current dealer discount at the better priced dealers is the same. FCA does offend my sensibilities by offering large rebates to low credit score consumers to entice them into buying the products.

I'm on my fifth minivan since 1995. While the Honda and Toyota vans are definitely the highest rated, I've not owned one. they hold their resale value very well, but since I prefer to purchase 1-3 year old used, I've gotten way more bang for the buck by avoiding them. And I have the same reservations concerning Chrysler (now Fiat) products, heard too many horror stories through the years. And like the OP, I consider the van a utility vehicle. Use all mine to tow a camper trailer, haul firewood, six muddy soccer players, etc.

Four of my vans were Fords (1995,2001, two 2005s). Ford stopped building regular minivans in 2007. Current van is a 2011 Kia Sedona. Basically the price was right for a two year old van when purchased ($18K)

I've no issues with it, nothing has gone wrong in over 4 years and 40K miles of use.
If you'd call them complaints, is that the throttle is so sensitive that it is a bit more difficult than most to drive in snow/ice, way too easy to spin the front wheels (and the original Asian tires were absolutely terrible for snow). But on dry roads, it's fast, too bad the chassis is not up to the power the 3.5 liter delivers. Hopefully, the throttle has been recalibrated so this is may no longer be an issue. Kia did a major redesign of the van I think in 2015. If I needed to shop for a replacement, Kia would be at the top of my search right now.

Last edited:
My best friend only buys Chrysler mini vans. His latest one is three years old and has ~70K miles on it with no issues other than normal maintenance. He loves them and they have been quite reliable for his family. I ride in it frequently and it's quite nice.

Like Bamaman says, find one for around $20K + and you have a great deal.

The overpriced Honda Odyssey is nice, but you pay through the nose for not much more van than a Chrysler.

Navigation? I can't fathom spending several thousand dollars on a package that would include a map that will be outdated 10 minutes after you drive off the lot. Instead, I would use your phone or perhaps a dedicated, used tablet that you can get for $100. You are able to download Google maps for offline use, so you don't even have to use data while you are out and about.

+1
Buying navigation in a car, that could be wreaked next week to me, is not a good move.
Either do above,
or
spend a measly $300 and get a dedicated, GPS that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle and comes with unlimited map updates.

The Town and Country is a nicer vehicle than the Caravan. There may be better vehicles, but a good friend and my daughter have the Chrysler and are very happy with them. One thing my Chevy dealer said to me does make some sense. Chrysler invented the mini van and has continuously been making them ever since. It’s their best vehicle.

Don't know about the current product. I do know someone who had three of the Chrysler/Dodge minivans.

He then in his words 'bit the bullet' and bought the Honda Odyssey. His comment...it felt like a new vehicle at 80,000. His prior vans would be rattling and starting to cost money in mechanical repairs at that stage.

If you trade up on a regular basis and seldom put more than 80-100,000 miles you should be fine. If you plan to keep the vehicle for an extended period and have lots of mileage then Honda is probably the we would go. I think that it comes down to pay me now or pay me later.

Last edited:
I never owned a D/C minivan, but I had friends who did. They seemed to have a lot of problems. I've currently got a 2016 Honda Odyssey that is a great car. We use it to haul ourselves and the 3 dogs and two hedgehogs and a fair amount of crap back and forth snow birding. It has a ton of room. It also gets fairly decent mileage, considering what it is. It has the same towing capacity (3500 lbs) as my old Toyota Highlander, although that's not what we use it for mostly). It's got a lot of bells and whistles that I didn't really have any interest in, but have become highly dependent on. It wasn't cheap, but we keep our cars forever (the other two are 2002 and 2004) and this one seems like it's built to last. The only reason we might get rid of it eventually is because DD really wants us to give it to her. Lots of luck with that.

My wife's uncle owns a Chrysler T&C, he bought it used and now it has about 120K miles on it. They like it a lot, I've ridden in it and found it to be very comfortable.

I'd think the Caravan and T&C would depreciate faster than any Toyota or Honda, and so a used one would offer you the most payload per dollar (pooch per bitcoin?) at first. If I didn't plan to put a lot of miles on the vehicle, that would be a tempting choice. But if I were going to hold on to the vehicle for many years and put 150K+ miles on it, I might go with an Odyssey or Toyota (if the internal configuration/seats met my needs).

Other things to consider:
Honda Elements are "pupular" with folks moving dogs and various stuff. The inside is very utilitarian (i.e. it can virtually be hosed out). I found the ride to be a little stiff and the mileage isn't great considering its compact size, but it might be worth consideration. I'd bet it would last a LONG time.

Kia/Hyundai: They make some great, reliable vehicles, and are generally less expensive than Honda or Toyota. When you are perusing Consumer Reports, see what they have to say about the minivans from these companies.

The two reasons to consider the Dodge or Chrysler are price (two thirds of the lowest Honda price) and the cargo space. The Sienna and Odyssey are people movers. The Caravan moves cargo. 15 or 20 dog crates could easily fit in one. Probably 30 or 40 cat carriers.

I had a Kia minivan while my Highlander was being repaired in 2010, Not a product I would buy. Distinctly inferior to the Japanese product in every way. Maybe they have improved, but the cargo space is limited.

Honda Elements are "pupular" with folks moving dogs and various stuff. The inside is very utilitarian (i.e. it can virtually be hosed out). I found the ride to be a little stiff and the mileage isn't great considering its compact size, but it might be worth consideration. I'd bet it would last a LONG time.

Last year for the Element was 2011.

When our kids were at home, we had a Dodge Caravan for years and it was great for travel. When my daughter married and moved for her husband's residency, we gave it to them, because they were having our first grandchild. In total, it was used for 10 years and had 135 miles when it was sold. The only issue was some slight exterior paint peeling.

Yes, good point. But, a 7YO Honda is just getting warmed up!

One of my friends bought one new as he has a restaurant and bar and needed it to haul goods. They were a pretty spartan vehicle and noisy as heck inside. Plus, once they got older, they rattled a lot. Honda didn't sell many, and most were sold to kids and used as school/beach vehicles for those who could not afford Jeep.

They had a purpose, but it wasn't the best effort on Honda's part.

I was considering a Honda Element for a bit. Decided against it when I realized it only seats 4 people. Cool car though!

Another cool smaller vehicle is a Mazda 5 minivan, but it too won't handle 7 people, or 4x8 plywood.

But it handles more like a Mazda 3 than a minivan, and will hold up to 6 people. But with 6, there's little luggage room, so it's more like 4/5 people plus luggage/pets.

They were discontinued in 2015, but they always got great reviews.

Back
Top Bottom