Does your spouse annoy you in retirement?

Bamaman

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm sitting here listening to my wife talk to herself in the kitchen. She talks constantly--seldom shutting her mouth.

I used to talk some--until I retired--and now cannot get a word in edgewise. I just keep my mouth shut.

Are you kidding? And on a public forum? :LOL:

Nothing my DW does bothers me. She is good to me in every way. And if you don't believe me, ask her. Right, hon? :)

I'm sitting here listening to my wife talk to herself in the kitchen. She talks constantly--seldom shutting her mouth.

I used to talk some--until I retired--and now cannot get a word in edgewise. I just keep my mouth shut.

You need to go back to work! :)

Are you kidding? And on a public forum? :LOL:

Nothing my DW does bothers me. She is good to me in every way. And if you don't believe me, ask her. Right, hon? :)

Wise man!! :D Obviously you have your priorities straight.

I don't have a spouse, but live next door to my sweetie. He doesn't bother me at all because if either of us is annoyed (which probably never happens), we can just go home to our respective houses where we have our own space, privacy, and solitude.

Last edited:
DW has a friend like that... you can't get a word in edge-wise. Annoying... especially if you are stuck on a chairlift. I just tune out and say "Uh-huh" and nod my head every so often.

That is hilarious! You are a brave, brave man!

My dad just retired, and I think if he couldn't go outside during pretty much all daylight hours, he and my mother would definitely come to blows very quickly. I visited them last night, and left exhausted from the constant back and forth between them. Sometimes it is mind boggling that they've been married over 50 years and not killed each other yet!

And may I recommend some of the outstanding noise canceling headphones available these days.

You are going to have one loooong retirement. Every day will feel like a lifetime. :LOL:

I have an uncle who talks non-stop. It's a nervous tic. My DH talks a lot too, but I married him so that I didn't have to talk. It works fine for me, although if I were my aunt, i'd still be working outside of the house (and she is!)

My wife frequently talks to herself, usually when in a good mood. I could let it bother me, especially when segues into talking to me instead and gets on my case because "you haven't heard a word I said" - but instead I choose to hear it as music to my ears... :)

REW, spoken like a wise man with years in the trenches! :)

I prefer to talk in a low voice from several rooms away, preferably with the dishwasher running, and get annoyed when DH doesn't hear me. It is a surefire way drive him crazy! :)

Ahhhh, another joy of being single and living alone! I talk to myself all the time, and there is no one there to be annoyed! I suppose maybe the cats get annoyed, but they can't say so. :LOL: :2funny: :2funny:

Ahhhh, another joy of being single and living alone! I talk to myself all the time, and there is no one there to be annoyed! I suppose maybe the cats get annoyed, but they can't say so. :LOL: :2funny: :2funny:
Ha! - that's me too!

It has been about 20 years since I have lived with anyone full-time and at this point, I don't think I could share a living space with anyone, whether a romantic partner or otherwise. My hat is off to those of you who do it.

Ha! - that's me too!

It has been about 20 years since I have lived with anyone full-time and at this point, I don't think I could share a living space with anyone, whether a romantic partner or otherwise. My hat is off to those of you who do it.

There is NO way I could share my space. :D

And may I recommend some of the outstanding noise canceling headphones available these days.

These days you can buy these specifically made for husbands. While they block out external noise the filter lets through key phrases such as, "Are you listening to me?"

Sam Kinison had some sage advice regarding marriage...:LOL:

I'm with you except for the cats! :LOL:

My husband talks quite a bit when we are home together - thinking out loud mostly. But I'm just glad he cares enough to share his thoughts with me! If he stopped talking to me - then I would be worried. He doesn't talk much around other people, just me. :)

But he doesn't talk all the time. We have many quiet hours at the house, and he goes off (leaves the house) to do his own thing fairly often.

Last edited:
Don't even get me started. During retirement it is critical to spend just as much time away from one's spouse as when you were working. Trust me on this. I play golf, ride my motorcycle and find activities that take me out of the house. Love my wife with all my heart but not meant to be together 24/7.

It is a documented fact that women talk three times as much as men. My wife says it is because we have to tell you everything three times.

Sure my spouse annoys me sometimes. I'm sure I annoy him even more. But he's the guy I chose to marry, and I love him. If he's annoying me, I tend to find a different part of the house to be in, or a reason to be out of the house.

No, she's swell.

She's still working a few days per week from home. So we have ~6 hours 3-4 days/wk where we aren't "together" other than popping out to chat for a minute or having lunch.

When she's busy with work, I'm busy with activities where she's not required. Reading a book, having lunch with my friends, volunteering, killing bad guys in a video game, walking/hiking, watching tv shows she doesn't care for, etc.

So far it's working out pretty well. I'm sure once she quits work, we'll adjust to have his/hers/our time the same way. I hope. :)

My mother worried about that. But my father took up golf before ER. Problem solved.

Don't even get me started. During retirement it is critical to spend just as much time away from one's spouse as when you were working. Trust me on this. I play golf, ride my motorcycle and find activities that take me out of the house. Love my wife with all my heart but not meant to be together 24/7.

This is definitely a YMMV issue (or, at least I hope so!). One of the reasons that we are so looking forward to retirement is that we will finally be able to see each other for a meaningful amount of time every day--in fact, with the travel plans, we will be 24/7 for large chunks of the year. Many (most?) people do stuff with same-sex friends without their spouse, but we neither one have gotten into that.... Then again, retirement may make DW realize that she needs some gal friends to get some time away from me. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom