Dog poop pickup poll

What would you do with poop in your yard from the neighbor's dog?

• Pick it up and not say anything

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Pick it up and put it in the neighbor's yard

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Have a chat with the neighbor

Votes: 75 51.4%
  • Move

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
Our next door neighbors got a new dog at the end of last year - a white lab. They're not the type of owners who keep their dog on a lease nor watch it when they let it out to do its business. None of their property is fenced. A couple of times it came running at me while I was mowing and we often see it running free through our yard.

We have a medium sized older dog (13) and a fenced backyard. Our dog only goes in the backyard when we let it out. We never let it out the front or to run free.

Lately I've found rather large piles of poop in our side yard where it's not fenced - next to the neighbor's house. It is definitely not our dog's poop and the volume fits that of a lab. At first I thought I would just pick it up and not say anything, which is what my DW wants. But on second thought, there is no way I am picking up someone else's dog's poop. So I picked it up with a shovel and put it in their yard.

What would you do?

My neighbor across the street used to let their dog poop in our side yard. I asked them to please stop, but they didn't.

When I saw what they were doing, I went out with a shovel each week, picked it up and piled it at the end of their driveway. Eventually, they saw me doing that and the poop in my yard stopped.

have you considered talking to them? You don't say if you are on friendly terms with these neighbors but I would walk over and explain the situation to them. They probably are unaware and hopefully will take steps to prevent it in the future.

Would not fling it back over unless (a) I had already tried to speak to my neighbor about it and (b) I *knew* (had proof) it was their dog's poo in my yard.

I checked "other" in the poll. First I'd start with a conversation about it. If nothing changed, we'd have another, firmer, conversation.

If still nothing changed, I'd pick up the the poop and put it on their front porch.

Would not fling it back over unless (a) I had already tried to speak to my neighbor about it and (b) I *knew* (had proof) it was their dog's poo in my yard.

This is the only dog that runs free and to date, I've found 4 piles in our side yard (next to their house) - all of them matching the ones I see in their yard in terms of volume/size. Also, I've seen their dog standing at our fence gate (located in the side yard) looking and sniffing for our dog.

Poop is a slippery slope. If you let their dog do it, then soon they will be pooping in your yard too.

A conversation to start
it is quite possible this is how they are used to be with dogs since childhood, so don't expect a conversation will necessarily help

My dog is a certified therapy animal visiting a hospice and a nursing home on a regular basis and is well behaved and responds to voice commands. But still, i only have her off leash when walking out to the mail box, putting out the trash and the like. never off leash and unsupervised. in your conversation, need to make it clear that they could be in for quite a lawsuit if say, the dog, even with friendly intentions, rushes up to a child or any frail individual, walking in the neighborhood.

In the residential area where I live there are poop trash cans that that the county where I live supplied on the main roads about every 100 yards for dog walkers to dispose their stuff daily. Good tax dollars put to good use. I would talk to the neighbor before putting poop in their yard. You never know how the neighbor may react.

Last edited:
Gross. If their dog gets sick, your dog will be exposed to it so I would definitely pick it up. And mowing services might charge extra if there’s poop they have to deal with (ours would). I would try to catch the dog in the act and then talk to the neighbors; and if talking to them failed, I would definitely pick it up and just dump it over the property line. They probably won’t even notice it. But ewww.

A webcam would be very handy in a situation like this, especially if it could store recorded segments.

Before dumping the offending matter in the neighbor’s front yard, it would help to observe the dog in your yard at least once.

I pick it up and don't worry about it. It's just poop. I'm continually picking up my own dog's poop, so what's one more. I've got poop bags at the ready. It doesn't bother me.

Poop is a slippery slope. If you let their dog do it, then soon they will be pooping in your yard too.

lol. I would have to draw the line there.

I didn’t answer because my answer if it happened once or twice would be very different than if it happened regularly. And it would start with a friendly discussion no matter what. I hope no one would go straight to putting it in the neighbors yard on the first infraction.

We find dog poops in our backyard from our neighbors occasionally, I am sure they pick it up if they see it happen.

It’s amazing how bent out of shape some folks can become over first world problems...

Last edited:
It’s amazing how bent out of shape some folks can become over first world problems...

It isn't so much that it is "getting bent out of shape" over a minor issue. It is getting bent out of shape over one neighbor saying in effect "you don't matter".

That's a major issue in any culture.

It isn't so much that it is "getting bent out of shape" over a minor issue. It is getting bent out of shape over one neighbor saying in effect "you don't matter".

That's a major issue in any culture.
Among millions of others, Syrian refugees and people living in poverty all over the world might be able to draw a distinction, for example.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pick up animal feces(a biohazard)and dump it on my neighbor's yard without prior conversations and visual proof of the pooping.

Many animals poop around my house, three deer pooped all over today. Who is going to pick that up? Maybe I could talk with their owner?

Have a nice chat with your neighbor, keeps them from squatting in your yard. [emoji111]

Poop is universal. Vast numbers have been killed off due to disease from uncontrolled poop. Poop is not only a problem next door, poop is a problem all over the world. Most scientists agree, we have a poop problem. Oh there are poop deniers. I think the OP is putting their foot down and doing their part. What are you doing to reduce your poop print?

I can see how this would become a problem/annoyance over time if it continues. But you write the dog is a new arrival.

How is your relationship with the neighbor? Sometimes a potential problem can be solved/avoided over a Sam Adams.

I wouldn't pick up animal feces(a biohazard)and dump it on my neighbor's yard without prior conversations and visual proof of the pooping.

Many animals poop around my house, three deer pooped all over today. Who is going to pick that up? Maybe I could talk with their owner?

Have a nice chat with your neighbor, keeps them from squatting in your yard. [emoji111]

The good lord might find that amusing.:D

start with a friendly chat.

I was in this situation years ago. A friendly chat did nothing and the dog was pooping in my front yard and I had little kids and no dog. I put it on their steps. That was the end of it although they stopped speaking to us. I was fine with that.

I voted: "Other". Who gives a sh!t? :D

As a responsible dog owner that sees after my own dogs, I would likely clean it up as I take care of my own. Unless you are a straight-up city-dweller, you can rest assured there are many other poo-piles in you yard whether you see them or not.

They don't want to mess with me as my big lab can match or exceed what most dogs expel. Ha. I would talk to owners of the animal first. Go from there.

In today’s world, unfortunately, what seems like a simple thing, discussing this with the neighbor, can turn into a nightmare. It’s amazing to me how obviously inconsiderate people can become so offended when called out, no matter how politely. Having said that, a conversation is in order and please don’t send them a letter. Things in writing really seem to upset inconsiderate people. So, for those who recommend a conversation, what would you recommend? I’m assuming that “hey a$$hole, get your effing dog under control” probably won’t work. It’s so disgusting that people can be so inconsiderate or even completely oblivious to what’s going on with their animal. Shame on them.

Personally, I’d probably just flick it into their yard. Let them come talk to me. Jerks.

Back
Top Bottom