Dont forget...

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Now that we're back on standard time, you'll be wanting to go to bed an hour earlier tonight and as a result you'll be waking up an hour earlier tomorrow, which will leave you with additional time to do stuff before you have to go to wor.....errr....

Nevermind. ;)

Can you explain this concept to my dogs, please?

wab said:
Can you explain this concept to my dogs, please?

Oh Wab I have the same problem, he (the dog) just doesn't understand, it was even worse when I had horses they DEMAND to be fed on time!!

Cj

Daylight Savings Time may be man's dumbest invention.  Typical of humans -- can't even decide on one standard time.  Now the government can't even decide to have one standard set of dates at which we change between our two times.

Twice a year we each have to change about 20 clocks, TV's, car clocks, microwave clocks, oven clocks, telephone clocks -- all of which have a different interface for changing time, and many of which require you to click forward 23 hours. About 2.5 billion clocks have to be adjusted twice a year in this country (figuring 10 per person). 2.5 billion with a b.

Oh, and the fire department thinks that's not enough busy work.  We also have to get the ladder out and replace the battery in our smoke alarms.

Dogs are no problem.

Try dealing with the baby that has his own clock and wants to go to bed an hour earlier...

() can't be any worse than a cranky dh that hates change to his routine.

TromboneAl said:
Daylight Savings Time may be man's dumbest invention.  Typical of humans -- can't even decide on one standard time.  Now the government can't even decide to have one standard set of dates at which we change between our two times.

Twice a year we each have to change about 20 clocks, TV's, car clocks, microwave clocks, oven clocks, telephone clocks -- all of which have a different interface for changing time, and many of which require you to click forward 23 hours.  About 2.5 billion clocks have to be adjusted twice a year in this country (figuring 10 per person).  2.5 billion with a b.

Oh, and the fire department thinks that's not enough busy work.  We also have to get the ladder out and replace the battery in our smoke alarms.
I thought DST was invented to allow farmers to make better use of daylight. I wonder how the rest of the world handles it.

Actually, Al, I have a different problem. Some of our older VCR clocks are automatically set to shift between DST & ST, so when you guys change times I have to go around the house REsetting them.

I think there are places in Arizona & Illinois where you could escape the DST problem too.

Nords said:
I thought DST was invented to allow farmers to make better use of daylight. I wonder how the rest of the world handles it.

It wasn't for farmers. Farmers have always disliked DST.

The rationale was for energy savings and I believe it started in wartime. I think Europe had DST in WWI. The US may not have had DST until WWII, but it is possible we did have it for a short time during the first world war.

Martha you're right. We have a historian on staff here and his answer was it started sometime around WWI to conserve energy. The farmers hated it and it was later repealed. Sometime later it was reinstated in spite of the farmers objections. Now they keep it because they don't want kids walking to school in the dark.

When ever I talk to this man I get that glazed over look as he spouts dates and times, I just gave my short version of what he said LOL.

Cj

humm do kids really walk to school anymore?

Outtahere said:
humm do kids really walk to school anymore?
Our kid walked/biked from kindergarten through fifth grade. Now you should hear the whining about having to walk a quarter-mile to the middle-school bus stop...

Back
Top Bottom