Here we go again, it’s Daylight Saving Time

To bad you all have to go through this again. Here in Arizona we use Mountain Standard Time all year long (with the exception of the Navajo reservation that does observe Daylight Time).,

To bad you all have to go through this again. Here in Arizona we use Mountain Standard Time all year long (with the exception of the Navajo reservation that does observe Daylight Time).,

So when New Mexico is in DST, is there a time change crossing into AZ?

Hmmm looks like right now they are the same like you said MST. Tomorrow AZ will be 1 hour behind NM, so you gain an hour crossing into AZ from NM.

Last edited:
So when New Mexico is in DST, is there a time change crossing into AZ?

Hmmm looks like right now they are the same like you said MST. Tomorrow AZ will be 1 hour behind NM, so you gain an hour crossing into AZ from NM.

Yes, like you said, come tomorrow NM will be an hour later than AZ. Tomorrow AZ will be on California time.

Even though we don't change our time, there are still adjustments to be made because everyone else is an hour later relative to us. The stock market will open an hour earlier here and texts from my bank indicating any direct deposits will show up an hour earlier. Some TV shows on those old movie/old sitcom networks will be an hour earlier.

Yes, like you said, come tomorrow NM will be an hour later than AZ. Tomorrow AZ will be on California time.

Even though we don't change our time, there are still adjustments to be made because everyone else is an hour later relative to us. The stock market will open an hour earlier here and texts from my bank indicating any direct deposits will show up an hour earlier. Some TV shows on those old movie/old sitcom networks will be an hour earlier.

I have a road trip west coming up next month so been curious.

Of course the built in Apple World Clock app is an easy way to track current time everywhere.

I do lots of cross country road trips and I've always been interested to see how the car's clock deals with crossing a state/time zone border. Some cars depend on where the nearest cell phone tower is located, and that can be quite a few miles past the border, while others go by the actual GPS coordinates. Same for my phone, which makes sense.

As for DST, I've never really cared and don't understand why some folks get worked up about it. When I visit Newfoundland I can even adjust immediately to the extra half hour!

Hey, be grateful that you don't own a clock shop. A guy I worked with did that as a hobby/retirement gig for a few years and he hated the switch either way. He was a bit anal about all the clocks being correct (who will buy a clock that doesn't keep correct time?) and he went a bit nutso about the change. I thought it was more like self-abuse.

It is a lot easier to deal with these days, now that so many devices that keep time either pull it from the network (either the internet or a NTP server on the home network) or have it built-in. The days of running around changing lots of clocks and devices in the house, especially the alarm clock, are long gone :).

(raises hand, sheepishly) But it's the one in the car. I can never remember the unintuitive set of button presses required, and don't feel like pulling out the manual. And doing it takes longer than the longest stoplight.

Same thing with me in the car, but finally changed it last year.

It is a lot easier to deal with these days, now that so many devices that keep time either pull it from the network (either the internet or a NTP server on the home network) or have it built-in. The days of running around changing lots of clocks and devices in the house, especially the alarm clock, are long gone :).
I still have several I have to change. Microwave, digital thermostat, HDTV, car, and 2 wall clocks. I think one or more of my cameras needs this adjusted as well, which I don't necessarily bother with. My bedroom alarms clocks, cellphones, streaming devices, and computers adjust automatically. Oh, I have a VCR & temperature sensor that I'm not using, but they need adjusted manually also. My new security camera probably doesn't need to be adjusted.

Oh, and don't forget to change your smoke alarm batteries if you do it based on time changes.

I would rather set the clocks twice per year than always stay on standard time. But go full time DST! lol

Last edited:
Who’s willing to admit they have a clock they never changed back in the falll? So now it will be right again.

My bicycle speedometer has a clock built-in that I never change. Here in MN the bike doesn't get used in the non-DST months so it's never a problem for me!

BrianB

My motorcycle clock will no longer be an hour ahead tomorrow.

Decided to skip the hiking club meet tomorrow. I would have to leave at 7:30 AM but it would feel like 6:30, and I would have to set an alarm and get up early. No grazi.

First preference: Revert back to when we adjust our clocks. Last Sunday in October and first Sunday in April.

Second preference: Stay with standard time or daylight savings time all year long.

Last edited:
I’d much prefer to stay on standard time. Otherwise, too many kids are going to school in the dark, cold days of Winter

The only part that used to bug me was changing the clock in the car. Every car had a different method and I could never remember exactly what to do without either spending ten minutes fiddling with it or looking it up in the manual.

I'm so glad that the last couple of cars have been connected to the cloud and take care of it themselves.

I just dislike the change and actual wish they would leave it one way. I prefer it ahead because it gives us people in the north a longer day going into darkness during winter months.

Up earlier than normal my body is already feeling the change.

the whole DST thing used to matter more to me back when I put a value on the amount of daylight there was between getting out of school/the office, and when the sun set. But these days, with working from home and a much more flexible work schedule, it's more about the total amount of daylight hours.

I imagine once I'm retired, DST will matter even less to me.

The only part that used to bug me was changing the clock in the car. Every car had a different method and I could never remember exactly what to do without either spending ten minutes fiddling with it or looking it up in the manual.

I'm so glad that the last couple of cars have been connected to the cloud and take care of it themselves.

DW and I were in my truck one day last month and she pointed out that my clock in it was wrong. I told her just wait till March and it will be right again!:LOL: I'm going to remind her today!
;)

For everyone with digital clocks, remember when you wake up tomorrow morning you didn’t get as much sleep as the clock would indicate, at that explains why you’ll be so groggy and grouchy all day.

That makes no sense unless you're still working. Unless I have something scheduled early I wake up when I wake up, and if the clock is ahead an hour upon waking it makes no difference.

I woke up when the sunlight said morning. Early morning and the clock was there. I don't care about those letters anymore.

That makes no sense unless you're still working. Unless I have something scheduled early I wake up when I wake up, and if the clock is ahead an hour upon waking it makes no difference.

I have my phone alarm arranged to awaken me at 9 AM, for my morning insulin injection. It did that, I did that, and then (predictably) fell asleep again.

Frank usually brings me breakfast and coffee at around 9:45 AM. Did I mention that he is amazing and such an angel? :D Anyway this morning at 10 AM he called to tell me he overslept. Of course I was sound asleep, but I didn't tell him. He'll be here soon. :ROFLMAO:

Based on someone's post yesterday, I decided to keep track of which clocks auto-adjust and which clocks needed to be manually adjusted.

Auto-adjust: PCs, laptop, tablets, smartphones, smart TVs, Rokus, HVAC thermostats

Manual: Both vehicles (each with a physical dial clock and a system digital clock), microwave, oven, water softener, irrigation timer, two nightstand clocks, wall clock, my watch (for those rare occasions I don't carry my smartphone)

I have the bad habit of sleeping with the tv on. Normally I wake up around 5am, whether I need to or not. Well, this morning I woke up to "Father Knows Best", which comes on at 5am, but the digital clock on the stereo speaker, which needs a manual reset, said 4.

I don't know what made me wake up earlier than normal today. And right now I feel a bit off. It's 12:07 here, but my body feels like it's 11:07. But normally I would have been up around 6 hours by now, but I've actually been out around 7 hours. So, my body clock does feel a bit mixed up.

As for the clocks in cars, I think my 2023 Charger updates automatically. At least, I bought it in September of last year, and don't remember changing it when we went off of DST. My 2012 Dodge Ram needs a reset. I left it on DST this last time, because I had forgotten how to change it and didn't feel like looking it up. But then, about a month ago I remembered it for some reason, and changed it. And now, I get to change it back!

With the Buicks I've had, it was really simple. There are two small buttons, for "HR" and "MIN" on the head unit of the radio. Just press and hold until it gets to the time you want. On my '79 5th Ave, which had a digital clock in the fake goodgrain above the dash, you open the glovebox, and there's a rocker switch. Press the left side and the hour changes, press the right side and minutes change.

Last edited:
This morning at least I woke up at a few minutes before six instead of a few minutes before five!

Clearly my body already switched weeks ago.

I just need to get to bed earlier.

Back
Top Bottom