Don't move to Florida?

We commonly had the house at 58 -60 degrees in MD in January, when nighttime temps are below - sometimes well below - freezing. We used an electric blanket on the bed at night. Kind of got away from space heaters, which tend to heat one spot too much.

In FL 55 is the outdoors temperature at night during winter. The house rarely gets below 65, which is comfortable. If it goes lower, we just put a blanket on the bed.:LOL:

Is the 55F the indoor or outdoor temperature?

We keep our AC in the house at 80*F most times and use our ceiling fans, this keeps the house at about 78-79*F for the most part.

When we host gatherings we turn it down to 76*F, but for the 2 of us 80*F works.

All you guys need to move somewhere with moderate weather, like coastal Connecticut. In my town, the highest average daily high is 82 F in mid July and lowest average daily high is 37 F in late January. The lowest average overnight low is 24 F in late January and highest average overnight low is 68 F in mid July. Our USDA Hardiness Zone is 7a and our average growing season is 212 days long. Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter. Just right for me.

Last edited:
We keep our AC in the house at 80*F most times and use our ceiling fans, this keeps the house at about 78-79*F for the most part.

When we host gatherings we turn it down to 76*F, but for the 2 of us 80*F works.

That’s what we do on the other side of the country, in SW Riverside County, CA.

All you guys need to move somewhere with moderate weather, like coastal Connecticut. In my town, the highest average daily high is 82 F in mid July and lowest average daily high is 37 F in late January. The lowest average overnight low is 24 F in late January and highest average overnight low is 68 F in mid July. Our USDA Hardiness Zone is 7a and our average growing season is 212 days long. Not too hot in summer, not too cold in winter. Just right for me.

We lived in Connecticut when I was a yute, and drove there regularly when we lived in NY. It’s is a lovely state with a high quality of life.

Living in the Pacific Northwest is the best for weather. Summer average temp is around 75. We usually have a couple of weeks of 80+ weather. Summers are dry. Nighttime temps in the summer are in the 50's. Occasionally we get over 90 degrees. Winter highs are around 38 to 45 and lows are around 33 or so. Can't complain about the weather here.

I grew up in Ga. and after we lived in the Pacific Northwest for 3 months we went back to Ga for a visit and I thought I would just die from the heat and humidity in July. Funny how we became adjusted to the Northwest weather after living in Ga. for over 27 years. We now go visit the south in October.

Living in the Pacific Northwest is the best for weather. Summer average temp is around 75. We usually have a couple of weeks of 80+ weather. Summers are dry. Nighttime temps in the summer are in the 50's. Occasionally we get over 90 degrees. Winter highs are around 38 to 45 and lows are around 33 or so. Can't complain about the weather here.
If New England didn't exist, I would move to the Puget Sound area. We lived in Bremerton for a time while I was in the Navy and we really enjoyed it there.

If New England didn't exist, I would move to the Puget Sound area. We lived in Bremerton for a time while I was in the Navy and we really enjoyed it there.

+1

In 2012 we spent a month in Friday Harbour on San Juan Island. We absolutely loved it. That was in the summer, brilliant weather, so I can’t comment on winter but the lifestyle was great.

Still do whatever I wish in Florida in the summer. Just jump into the pool afterwards.

We spent 3.5 months in Memphis when we were 21. Moving to KC after that was easy. I worked outside in KC for 6 years it didn't seem bad then. Today we walked in 80° and that seemed hot, a storm went through and it's 72° now. I'll take cooler.

I grew up in Ga. and after we lived in the Pacific Northwest for 3 months we went back to Ga for a visit and I thought I would just die from the heat and humidity in July. Funny how we became adjusted to the Northwest weather after living in Ga. for over 27 years. We now go visit the south in October.

My medical advisors tell me that it takes 6 weeks for the body to adjust to different weather situations such as humidity. So, if you go back to GA stay for at least two months. By then your body will have learned that sweating more won't do much good and it will stop. Then you will be more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom