downloading free mp3 books - safe?

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I have heard that you can download free mp3 books for on your ipod. Anyone know if this is safe? Any sites you would recommend? I would only want to go to legal sites where the author is offering the book for free to build readership, etc.

Try your public libary. I have downloaded MP3 audiobooks through our local public library. If your library has a website, it might link you (the way ours does) to the outfit that administers the program. Here is the place we can download audiobooks from: eMediaLibrary

I haven't downloaded one for a few years--they were hard to listen to because they weren't broken down into chapters, and I kept going all the way back to the beginning. In fact I don't think I ever finished one :) But maybe now they're broken down into small files like a CD audiobook is.

There are a number of sites where you can download free books in mp3 format. They are legit and excellent resources. The limitation is that the books have to be in the public domain, so don't be looking for the latest Stephen King novel. Librivox.org is the one I've used the most. As Bestwifeever said, try your library system. Booksshouldbefree.com is another decent site. I used to read a lot from Gutenberg.org, and I think they have audio books available now.

Oh yeah, one more caveat. Make sure the book is human read. They were at one time using computer generated reading software. It sux big time.

Try your public libary. I have downloaded MP3 audiobooks through our local public library. If your library has a website, it might link you (the way ours does) to the outfit that administers the program. Here is the place we can download audiobooks from: eMediaLibrary

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately our library does not offer this service.:(

There are a number of sites where you can download free books in mp3 format. They are legit and excellent resources. The limitation is that the books have to be in the public domain, so don't be looking for the latest Stephen King novel. Librivox.org is the one I've used the most. As Bestwifeever said, try your library system. Booksshouldbefree.com is another decent site. I used to read a lot from Gutenberg.org, and I think they have audio books available now.

Oh yeah, one more caveat. Make sure the book is human read. They were at one time using computer generated reading software. It sux big time.

Thank you for the feedback and links!

I second Librivox.org that's great stuff there.

...<snip>...........I haven't downloaded one for a few years--they were hard to listen to because they weren't broken down into chapters, and I kept going all the way back to the beginning. In fact I don't think I ever finished one :) But maybe now they're broken down into small files like a CD audiobook is.

Make sure your MP3 player starts back where you paused it or shut it off. Without this feature it is a PITA to listen to whole books.

Try Netlibary - many libraries offer access to this and they "loan" you audiobooks for three weeks - there are two formats: radio and cd-quality.

Back
Top Bottom