Medigap Shopping: Closing the Book & Rate Increases

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
You're 64 and you've decided that Traditional Medicare plus a Medicare Supplement plan is the way to go. Now you need to find a medigap plan.

The first step is to go to Medicare.gov "Find a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy" and get a list of companies that offer plans in your zip code.

Regardless of your health status, you now know what the prices are, but since you're probably going to be stuck with this insurance coverage until your last breath, you want to know the pricing for all years, not just this year. Of course this is impossible to know, but what you can know is what each of these insurance companies have done in the past (as an indication of what they will do in the future). Two things you want to know:

• Does this insurance company have a history of "Closing the Book"
  • What is this insurance company's rate increase history look like?
These two questions can be answered by brokers that are really looking out for your interests, but brokers are basically commission driven sales people, so you might find one that's looking out for you, but you might also find that they're looking for the fat commission check. Actually, you probably won't ever know unless they flagrantly push some option you don't want.

These two questions can also be answered if you want to spend many hours researching it yourself on the SERFF site [ https://www.serff.com/serff_filing_access.htm ]. Getting specifics out of that site is beyond the scope of this post, but it's the source of the data attached. The heavy lifting was done by they guy at this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GiardiniMedicare and on that channel, you can also find guidance to finding what you need on the SERFF site.

The reason for this post is to show some examples of rate increases by policy issuer. Notice I didn't say rate increases by "company", because one company might open a policy issuing entity and maybe closes the book on that entity or maybe doesn't close the book on it. That information tends to be critical for not getting stuck in a "sick duck pool".

Briefly, what can happen if you buy a medigap policy from one of these companies known to "close the book", is that as the population who are paying premiums for the policy age, they tend toward higher utilization (spend more medical dollars) and so the rates start to go up. Then, and this is the critical part, the healthy people, not liking the rate increases and knowing they can pass underwriting, shop for a cheaper policy, which they can easily find. When they do, they "fly away" from the pool, leaving a higher proportion of sicker people, resulting in the "sick duck pool" with rates that spiral higher and higher. If you're healthy and can pass underwriting, you'll fly too! But every one of us is one scan, one polyp, one blood test away from not being able to pass underwriting.

So although the following slides came from companies offering plans in Michigan, many of the "companies" do business in other states, and probably do business in a similar manner.

The graphics below were collected from a pretty long video on Giardini's YouTube channel. Note that "IAS" is a company that manages the interface between an insurance company and both the customers and the state regulators. So an insurance company doesn't need expertise or staff that's steeped in the rules and regulations of Medicare Supplement law...they outsource the whole works.

One thing you can take-away from these graphs is that the sampled IAS administered plans usually last 3 years before they close the book, and the annual percentage increases go up quite a bit.

I encourage you to find the "Hidden Truth..." video and watch it to get a better idea of what's in these graphs.

Best luck in your Medicare Supplement Plan shopping analysis!

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 153
Seng, thank you for all this--but I can't really understand it. All I know is that in North Carolina Mutual of Omaha closed the book on my husband and me, I was able to change to AARP/UHC. DH could not pass underwriting to change so is stuck with MofO. DH and I are the same age and both have a G plan. Right now his premium is triple what my premium is.

Can you give us a list of companies that do not play the close the book game?

Seng, thank you for all this--but I can't really understand it. All I know is that in North Carolina Mutual of Omaha closed the book on my husband and me, I was able to change to AARP/UHC. DH could not pass underwriting to change so is stuck with MofO. DH and I are the same age and both have a G plan. Right now his premium is triple what my premium is.

Harlee, closing the book is not a game. Insurers do not have endless wealth. They have to stay financially stable or they will lose all their customers, and their ability to sell insurance in the states where they operate.

When rates go up and customers leave a plan the insurer has two choices:
*keep it open knowing they are not competitive and bleeding $, or,
*close it to new policy holders to limit the bleeding $

And having said all of this. The very same thing is also true of Medicare Advantage Plans. Auto Insurance. Home Insurance. Boat Insurance. . .

Harlee, closing the book is not a game....The very same thing is also true of Medicare Advantage Plans. Auto Insurance. Home Insurance. Boat Insurance. . .

OK, I won't call it a game. Maybe it's just a nasty practice, brought on by the whole concept of private, for-profit health insurance. I won't go there.

But health care is fundamentally very different from home, auto or boat insurance. There are things I can do to dramatically minimize losses on those policies.

Admittedly, there are things I can do to increase my health-related losses, but the simple reality is that all of us face the same risk of large medical bills as we age.

Insurance is defined as pooling risk. Pooling our risk only within our own age group is going to become almost impossible if we're fortunate enough to live longer than average. At some age we'd be the only one left in the pool!

It seems grossly unethical to allow pools to become overburdened with the most unhealthy people. The only alternative (beyond single-payer, government health care) would be to spread the pool out among all ages, essentially charging young, healthy people more, so that they too can pay less when they inevitably age and become less heathy.

One major difference between closing the book for health insurance and the situation where other types of insurance increases prices is that for other insurance you are not closed out of the market--you can find another insurer for auto, homeowner insurance but many people cannot find another health insurer. So I call what Mutual of Omaha is doing in NC a cruel game.

Call it a "game" or a "business practice", or whatever you want. What's for certain is that they're taking advantage of people. Here we are as consumers, and the information that's laid out for us includes the price, a customer service "start rating". The plan letter lets us know that we're comparing apples-to-apples. But that's NOT enough information! What they should have, right there on the Medicare site, are the historical price increases for ALL of the separate plans that have been issued by these sneaky companies.

I have not compiled a list of the shady companies that use the closed-book business practice.

The best I can offer is to filter through the list of companies offering plans in your zip code. First strike off any that use IAS to service their customers. That's a generalization based on what that guy from Michigan discovered. You will likely still have a pretty big list. For each insurer remaining, you can find out what the source company is that initiated this insurer (for example, is this just something that was spawned from Mutual of Omaha and named something else?).

Perhaps finding the SHIIP (Senior Health Insurance Information Program) in your state can give you information instead of you digging it out yourself. What you're looking for is which companies keep starting new books every 3 years or so. Obviously those would be the ones to avoid.

Another source of information might be your state's Department of Insurance. It's possible they have a list of all policies that are active in the state, regardless of whether they're still open. If that list had the "mother ship" that created the bunch of closed books, it would be wise to avoid any policy coming from that mother ship.

And finally, there's that SERFF site. If you have just one or two companies to investigate, you can find out the nitty gritty of historical rate increases there. Any more than just a few companies would make searching there very labor intensive.

Last edited:
You're 64 and you've decided that Traditional Medicare plus a Medicare Supplement plan is the way to go. Now you need to find a medigap plan.

The first step is to go to Medicare.gov "Find a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy" and get a list of companies that offer plans in your zip code.

Regardless of your health status, you now know what the prices are, but since you're probably going to be stuck with this insurance coverage until your last breath, you want to know the pricing for all years, not just this year. Of course this is impossible to know, but what you can know is what each of these insurance companies have done in the past (as an indication of what they will do in the future). Two things you want to know:

• Does this insurance company have a history of "Closing the Book"
  • What is this insurance company's rate increase history look like?
These two questions can be answered by brokers that are really looking out for your interests, but brokers are basically commission driven sales people, so you might find one that's looking out for you, but you might also find that they're looking for the fat commission check. Actually, you probably won't ever know unless they flagrantly push some option you don't want.

These two questions can also be answered if you want to spend many hours researching it yourself on the SERFF site [ https://www.serff.com/serff_filing_access.htm ]. Getting specifics out of that site is beyond the scope of this post, but it's the source of the data attached. The heavy lifting was done by they guy at this YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@GiardiniMedicare and on that channel, you can also find guidance to finding what you need on the SERFF site.

The reason for this post is to show some examples of rate increases by policy issuer. Notice I didn't say rate increases by "company", because one company might open a policy issuing entity and maybe closes the book on that entity or maybe doesn't close the book on it. That information tends to be critical for not getting stuck in a "sick duck pool".

Briefly, what can happen if you buy a medigap policy from one of these companies known to "close the book", is that as the population who are paying premiums for the policy age, they tend toward higher utilization (spend more medical dollars) and so the rates start to go up. Then, and this is the critical part, the healthy people, not liking the rate increases and knowing they can pass underwriting, shop for a cheaper policy, which they can easily find. When they do, they "fly away" from the pool, leaving a higher proportion of sicker people, resulting in the "sick duck pool" with rates that spiral higher and higher. If you're healthy and can pass underwriting, you'll fly too! But every one of us is one scan, one polyp, one blood test away from not being able to pass underwriting.

So although the following slides came from companies offering plans in Michigan, many of the "companies" do business in other states, and probably do business in a similar manner.

The graphics below were collected from a pretty long video on Giardini's YouTube channel. Note that "IAS" is a company that manages the interface between an insurance company and both the customers and the state regulators. So an insurance company doesn't need expertise or staff that's steeped in the rules and regulations of Medicare Supplement law...they outsource the whole works.

One thing you can take-away from these graphs is that the sampled IAS administered plans usually last 3 years before they close the book, and the annual percentage increases go up quite a bit.

I encourage you to find the "Hidden Truth..." video and watch it to get a better idea of what's in these graphs.

Best luck in your Medicare Supplement Plan shopping analysis!

What happens when a company “closes the book”? If I understand it, it means they no longer offer the plan? So what happens if you have that plan? Is it cancelled? Does it enable you to find another one with guaranteed issue? How exactly does it work?

What happens when a company “closes the book”? If I understand it, it means they no longer offer the plan? So what happens if you have that plan? Is it cancelled? Does it enable you to find another one with guaranteed issue? How exactly does it work?

You still have your plan and are covered. But no new younger folks are being added to it once it is closed. They are offered instead a newer plan under a slightly different company name, usually much cheaper. The trend on closed book is for fees to increase more rapidly since younger folks are no longer being added. This can cause even more problems because healthier folks may switch to different plans if they can pass underwriting and the remaining folks who can’t pass underwriting because they aren’t currently healthy enough are stuck with a more expensive plan. Often referred to as a sick duck pool. Vicious circle.

If you are healthy enough to leave the closed book, you escape. If you're not, you get stuck with expensive premiums.

Does it still make sense to pay the premiums versus just paying the 20% not covered by Medicare out of pocket? At some point, it might make financial sense to just pay out of pocket.

Does it still make sense to pay the premiums versus just paying the 20% not covered by Medicare out of pocket? At some point, it might make financial sense to just pay out of pocket.

It would make a lot more sense to use your Medicare Advantage Trial Right. Enroll in Advantage for a hot minute and then you get open enrollment rights because the plan you were in before is no longer sold. If I'm incorrect about my understanding of that, it could make sense to relocate your residency somewhere with open enrollment for a year and then move back....

It would make a lot more sense to use your Medicare Advantage Trial Right. Enroll in Advantage for a hot minute and then you get open enrollment rights because the [Medigap] plan you were in before is no longer sold. If I'm incorrect about my understanding of that...

100% correct, with the understanding that the "trial right" is only available to first-time MA enrollees. Here is a Youtube video on using trial rights to get a guaranteed issue Medigap plan at the preferred rate without underwriting. This specific scenario starts at 4:06, where you can't get your old Medigap plan back because it's a closed book.

https://youtu.be/7MGVfU-B3Vw?si=RZHRaO6pEwQkXr3v

The Giardini video guy posted on the Medicare sub-Reddit as JGRUSSELL65 "...UHC has historically been one of the most, if not the most, stable/lowest increasing of all carriers. Every Medigap plan is going to increase as people age."

Regarding being "stuck" when book is closed-
Reminder that's not everywhere -the following states allow you to change your plan annually without underwriting:

California, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington

I ended up with Humana (MI). The rate was better than AARP/UHC at 65 and at 80.

OK, I won't call it a game. Maybe it's just a nasty practice, brought on by the whole concept of private, for-profit health insurance. I won't go there.

But health care is fundamentally very different from home, auto or boat insurance. There are things I can do to dramatically minimize losses on those policies.

Admittedly, there are things I can do to increase my health-related losses, but the simple reality is that all of us face the same risk of large medical bills as we age.

Insurance is defined as pooling risk. Pooling our risk only within our own age group is going to become almost impossible if we're fortunate enough to live longer than average. At some age we'd be the only one left in the pool!

It seems grossly unethical to allow pools to become overburdened with the most unhealthy people. The only alternative (beyond single-payer, government health care) would be to spread the pool out among all ages, essentially charging young, healthy people more, so that they too can pay less when they inevitably age and become less heathy.
A somewhat balanced summary but health insurance is a for profit business in our country, so we can’t be surprised if they behave as such - “nasty” doesn’t apply. They are not the source of the problem, they’re looking out for their shareholders in the system “we” established. Demeaning insurers and arguing about it here will change nothing. That said, making an effort to choose insurers who don't close the book (yet) if our only defense, DW and I plan to change from MoA to UHC this year for that reason.

…I can understand why younger, healthier participants don’t want to pay for millions of older participants who don’t take care of themselves. I am not saying that applies to all older folks, but there are millions of people who don’t make any effort to take care of their health - I’ll bet we all know many of them, I sure do. Active seniors are the minority.

National health care like every other developed country would help. We pay more than any other country by far, we’ve been over this hundreds of times. But I assume I’ll never live to see it thanks to special interests $$$$…

Last edited:
Reminder that's not everywhere -the following states allow you to change your plan annually without underwriting:

California, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island and Washington

Related to the new states that implemented the birthday rule.
How much of an increase in yearly premiums for birthday rule states as compared to similar states that have no birthday rule?

Maryland also has a birthday rule now.

A birthday rule for Medicare Supplement policies went into effect in Maryland on July 1, 2023. The following has a good explanation for how it works:

https://insurance.maryland.gov/Cons...t-Period-for-Medicare-Supplement-Policies.pdf

Some of those states require you to stay with the same company or otherwise restrict your options when changing per the annual rules. Be sure you understand them.

What a great thread, thanks seng!

I learned more about the subject of closing the book in 34 minutes just watching this video (first link below) than I have reading all the various threads on ER.org before this - I never would have found it with the OP. The charts in post #1 on this thread will make more sense if you watch the YT video (I didn't understand them before watching).

There is no list of health insurance companies that don't close the books, because almost all of them do - they have no real choice. If they didn't, they would never attract new customers, healthy plan participants who could pass underwriting would move on as rates increased, and they'd be stuck with nothing but 'sick duck pools.' Kinda what I expected when this discussion first began months ago, now I know.

The video does show a company that has had a Medigap since 1992 without closing the book, but it isn't cheap - surprise.

While Mutual of Omaha has been vilified in several threads here, they are really no different than others...just so happens a vocal member here got stung by MoO.

Health care insurance (age attained, which is all most people buy) is going to increase significantly as we all age, no way around it, so you'd better plan accordingly.

The only way we could avoid all this is if state insurance commisions outlaw closing books, that won't happen. Presumably the other solution would be national health insurance, but I'm not hopeful that will happen in my lifetime either.

Last edited:
Some of those states require you to stay with the same company or otherwise restrict your options when changing per the annual rules. Be sure you understand them.

Usually you're also stuck switching to a plan "of equal or lesser value."

Which means someone on Plan G can downgrade to Plan N or Plan G-HD.

But not the reverse.

Usually you're also stuck switching to a plan "of equal or lesser value."

Which means someone on Plan G can downgrade to Plan N or Plan G-HD.

But not the reverse.

Yes, that is common across many states. But a recent poster from Illinois I believe said they were required to stay with the same company so it was essentially useless.

Back
Top Bottom