Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never found the area around Clear Lake nor NASA "walkable". Rice is next to the museum district (see map), so one can walk from Rice to museums + zoo and to the Village next to campus where there are hundreds of stores/restaurants. I'm sure Nords & family were there when they visited Rice.

Maybe some Houstonians can comment about places in/around Houston that could be worthy of being called "walkable". Maybe The Strand in Galveston, but certainly not the beaches. The Woodlands has a Riverwalk, but that's a bit pretentious for a muddy man-made bayou.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Maybe some Houstonians can comment about places in/around Houston that could be worthy of being called "walkable". Maybe The Strand in Galveston, but certainly not the beaches. The Woodlands has a Riverwalk, but that's a bit pretentious for a muddy man-made bayou.
As a former Houstonian, I would suggest that the Montrose area is fairly walkable. River Oaks isn't too bad either, but I suspect Montrose is better in that regard.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree w/ W2R that if she buys stuff she's not that into it will be wasted. You all are so well planned ahead w/ 11 months to go!

Other than that, she'll want to find what the locals are wearing as that can vary from region to region...DC would be dark grey or black wool coats, Northern CA would be north face gear etc etc...the stuff from home may not work and would just be wasted packing space anyway.

When my kid was a toddler we ventured to NYC in Feb and we didn't pester her to wear her gloves. We'd just roll the stroller outside, she'd feel the cold and stick her hands up in the air for us to put them on ...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As a former Houstonian, I would suggest that the Montrose area is fairly walkable. River Oaks isn't too bad either, but I suspect Montrose is better in that regard.
I used to rent a house near the corner of Montrose and Alabama. It would be rare to find a heterosexual couple in the laundromat.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I used to rent a house near the corner of Montrose and Alabama. It would be rare to find a heterosexual couple in the laundromat.
I said it was walkable, not that it was a good place for single heterosexuals to meet potential partners....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

After living in London and New York for short stints... and being in Chicago a few times... I know what 'walkable' means to me... Houston does not have it...

As an example... I did NOT need a car in either location where I lived... I walked to the grocery store... I walked to the movies, I walked to the subway to get to another location where I would walk to whatever...

Here in Houston, you drive to the store to buy your groceries, you drive to the mall to buy your other things, or you drive to Wally World or Target etc..

Yes, the village is 'walkable'... and there is a section along Alabama and Shephard that you might 'walk', but you normally have to drive to get there... the Galleria is walkable... but even then, most people go to the mall and walk inside... getting from there to one of the other places around there can be dangerous...

OHH, almost forgot downtown.... now that is walkable... either on the surface or in the tunnels...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OHH, almost forgot downtown.... now that is walkable... either on the surface or in the tunnels...
Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of where people actually live.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #48

SOrry, I'm still laughing about Houston being "cold."
Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
SOrry, I'm still laughing about Houston being "cold."
Enron!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #50

LOL!: Go down to Clear Lake some Friday or Saturday night and you'll see alot of folks just walking. Pretty safe down there.
Montrose? In the day, yes. At night, no way, Ray! I like to live.

I agree that the Rice area is pretty safe, and walking thru West University will be. But Houston is too spread apart with little public transportation to speak of, so it discourages walkability. People drive to where they want to go there instead of subway-ing it like in DC, Chicago, NYC, etc. Again, I disagree that Houston is a walkable city IMHO.

Here, this should settle it: Houston #26
http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/mo...ble-cities.php
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, but I was thinking more along the lines of where people actually live.
It is interesting that there are a lot of places being converted into condos.... so more and more people are starting to live there...
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
LOL!: Go down to Clear Lake some Friday or Saturday night and you'll see alot of folks just walking. Pretty safe down there.
Montrose? In the day, yes. At night, no way, Ray! I like to live.

I agree that the Rice area is pretty safe, and walking thru West University will be. But Houston is too spread apart with little public transportation to speak of, so it discourages walkability. People drive to where they want to go there instead of subway-ing it like in DC, Chicago, NYC, etc. Again, I disagree that Houston is a walkable city IMHO.

Here, this should settle it: Houston #26
Walkscore City Rankings

Nice link.... but just hit the button and you get THIS...

Downtown, Houston's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walk Score Neighborhood Rankings

It shows the different neighborhoods and at the top is the 'walk score' for each... not yet sure how the graph works... but it is something I can waste time on
Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Many neighborhoods are "walkable" in the sense that you stuff the baby in the stroller and walk around to meet neighbors. West U where I used to live is like that. It is on the edge of the Rice Village, but contains only homes, schools, a library, a police station and a couple of stores. It is not a "destination" to go walking around.

I wonder if being able to walk to Starbucks brings up the scores?
Probably not as plugging in my work address shows 2 Starbucks, a pizza shop and a wine bar as the top 4 closest places with a W score of just 46.