Driving a 20' U-Haul

I drove a bit smaller U-Haul truck the same distance and it was fine. Did it over three days, with wife somewhere along the route in her SUV. Other than the advice to pack well (we hired pros), and to watch out for idiots (as you would on any drive, even to the post office), the biggest surprise was how noisy it was. Not sure you would want her to plug her ears with anything, but it does take some getting used to. Also, the damage waiver is really very inexpensive, so buy that as brewer12345 advises (although I wouldn't advise playing bumper cars with your stuff in the back).

We just moved 120 miles and used a 26' UHaul. One Sunday was our stuff. The next Sunday was mom's stuff. Hubby did the driving but it really isn't too tough. Always keep your exit plan in mind as you enter any situation (food stop, gas stop, etc.)

Biggest issue was a breakdown on the second trip. I asked the UHaul Roadside Assistance people what Plan B was if the dispatched mechanic couldn't get the truck running. She said they would put it on a flat bed truck and drive it to the house, about 75 miles from the rest stop where he broke down.

A seriously crusty mechanic showed up in less than an hour and had the truck on the road pretty quickly. The mechanic could see immediately where the chewing gum and baling wire was located from the same item being previously repaired. The truck had about 125,000 miles on it. Don't know if that is a little or a lot of miles for a UHaul truck.

We packed the boxes but we had pros load the truck. $300 + $50 tip (2 x $25) for three hours work (including DH and I working nonstop), 2nd floor, some large pieces. $200 + $50 tip for two hours for mom's apartment which was on the first floor and no large pieces. Money well spent!

For anyone who has done it, how hard would you say it is, for someone who has no experience, to drive a 20' U-Haul moving truck 1300 miles?

I've driven moving vans across town a few times and would be totally confidant driving any vehicle, but my recovery from back surgery has not gone well at all so far, so I'm not sure I will be able to make the drive. DW is a retired police officer just like I am and very capable of handling herself, but I'm hesitant about her driving the truck and looking for possible plan B.

Do you have a choice? If so, maybe you could delay the move until your recovery is more complete. Then you would have more confidence in being able to make the drive yourself.

Maybe you could move your things in PODs. Basically, you fill the PODS (containers) and they transport them across the country to your new location. They also provide storage of the filled containers if desired, before delivering. From what I understand, they do not cost much more than a U-Haul. There are other companies that provide similar services too.

You or your wife can drive it. As others said, just watch the height and turns are wider - watch the rear tires as they make shorter radius. It may seem large at first, but you will quickly get used to it. Side mirrors will be your friend since no rearview mirror. Check tire pressure, low inflation will cause tires to get hot and potential blowout. Just drive with the big trucks in the right lane at 65-70 mph where most of them settle in. City driving is the hardest part with more traffic and turns, highway is easy.

Or the suggestion for the trucking company moving services, check ABF as they do either the trailer dropoff (you pay how many feet you use, no weight issues), or they also have the pod-like boxes. The trailer works real easy, you load it and then they drive to your destination and you unload. Get mover guys to help with the loading and unloading, money well spent as suggested.

Chuckling at the three moving/transportation option advertisements this thread has apparently generated just by reading it. One in the header and two in the sidebar.

I was about to warn of the rear overhang of these trucks. On the 1st trip on my RV, I scraped a rear corner of my class C against a post at a gas station because I made the turn too tight.

Then, I just look at a Web photo of the 20' and 26' UHaul trucks. They have a longer wheelbase than class C motorhomes of the same length, hence a shorter rear overhang.

My 25' class C has a ridiculous overhang of more than 10'. The shorter wheelbase makes for very tight turns for something of that length, and that causes the rear to swing even more with that overhang. The UHaul trucks will not be as bad.

Last edited:
I checked out PODS a while ago. It was something like $2500 compared to about $1000 plus $350 in gas for the U-Haul. That's a pretty big difference, plus they POD shows up several days later than driving the truck so we would be at the new house for at least 3-4 days with none of our stuff.

We have no choice about moving. We close on the sale of our house tomorrow and we leased it back for 30 days so we have to be out on July 4th. The doc said I would be healed up well before that but I'm having some complications and have no confidence right now that I will be able to sit in a truck for 20ish hrs over 3 days by then.

Plan A is to heal on time
Plan B will be for her to drive solo. I feel better about that option now. I could fly our 16 year old son back from Florida to ride with her, but no way I would want him driving at all. He just got his license about a month ago.
Plan C will be find a friend to help with the driving.

Yea, you get used to it fast....

My problem was when I first jumped in I was making a U turn out the driveway.... the turning radius is MUCH larger than a car.... drove up into the medium.... hit the gas and kept going :dance:

I still remember renting a 26' UHaul to move just across town almost 30 years ago. I could drive stick shift, so accepted a truck with manual transmission. At a stop sign, I fumbled around when the light turned green, got it in reverse, and scared the hell out of the motorist behind me who immediately leaned on his horn.

I made only two trips of perhaps 100 miles total, but was shocked when I refilled the truck before returning it. I just kept pumping and pumping. I forget what the mpg was, but I had never driven anything so thirsty. I think it was a lot worse than my motorhome now.

The UHaul truck had a pull-out ramp, so it was nice for loading/unloading. I once rented a Penske truck for moving our small company office. It had a lift gate that made it super nice for moving heavy desks. They charged dearly for it though. If my memory serves, it was around $200/day for just a local move 15 years ago.

Last edited:
When we moved from OH to CT in 1989, I drove the largest available U-Haul. I think it was about 36 feet. It was not too difficult actually maneuvering it, but one thing you will notice while driving it is how incredibly stupid some car drivers can be. You wouldn't believe the number of people who zipped in front of me as if I could stop on a dime. Ever since, I have been very considerate of truck drivers on the highway. They have a very tough job.

+1

Now that I have driven my motorhome quite a bit, I appreciate how truck drivers have to constantly watch out for cars merging into their lane, and would move over to the left lane if there is room. They do not want to run into merging cars, or have to brake and lose their momentum.

About the largest UHaul, I believe it's only 26'. However, that is the size of the cargo box, to which we add the length of the cab and engine which is perhaps another 7'. In contrast, RVs are measured bumper to bumper.

My brother and I drove a 26' from California to Chicago. Gas stations and hotels along the highway are built for larger vehicles so getting in and out was not difficult. The truck had a speed limiting device around 70 mph which kept us in the right lane. The drive was much easier than I anticipated, and I had the same experience as Gumby, the biggest challenge was unsafe drivers.

When you compare prices with the Pod don't forget to include fuel, hotel, meals etc. A second person in the truck makes such a difference, it makes the drive easier and safer.

As a lady the same age as your wife, I'd say she will be fine. I don't regularly drive big stuff, but I can manage our 28' motorhome and the 23' short bus pretty well. I also used to drive a box truck for work in a pinch when I worked for Habitat.

What might be a good idea, since you have a month, is to rent the same sized truck for a day from the local uhaul and have her so some practicing around town. That would give her confidence and you could go over the stickiest points: getting in and out of parking lots, gas stations, and the distances you need to keep from the rest of traffic. Biggest thing is what's been said: people pulling out in front of you. That's totally a thing.

If she's confident, she will be fine, and by the end of the first day she will feel like a pro!

I'm struggling with this, too, as I'm planning on moving across country next year. Right now my plan is to use ABF / U-Pack and have them drop a trailer which I will have loaded, ABF will deliver and I will have it unloaded. Prices seem reasonable compared to a UHaul rental, given the added convenience.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-trailer.asp

My wife who had never even pulled a trailer before in 36 years of marriage took a driving course and then would drive our 45' motorhome pulling a full-size truck. It can be done.
Don't get in a hurry, just watch the traffic go by you. Driving 60-65 in the right lane will put most people passing you so you should seldom have to get in the left lane. It's real easy to get stuck in the left lane with other drivers zooming around the right side of you. In cities it's best to be in the middle lane if possible and if you're comfortable. At on ramps with merging traffic don't feel that you have to move into the left lane to let them merge. It's their duty to safely merge but do be aware there are some idiots that fully expect someone to get out of their way for them to merge and will pull in front of you going slower then speed up and you could get stuck in the left lane holding up traffic if you do move over.
These things don't get good mileage but keeping your speed to 60-65 will help.
Put a sticky note on the steering wheel with your height so when you pull in to get fuel you won't hit a canopy.
When stopping for lunch or at a hotel if possible try to back into a spot or pull through so you can pull out. Remember you will have a big blind spot behind you.
Good luck.

I followed my BIL while he drove a big Uhaul across Illinois. Not a big deal at all on the interstates. He got gas at a truck stop with a high canopy, so that was no problem.

I drove a 22' from Baton Rouge to DFW area a few years ago. Not bad if you can put up with the pounding on bad roads and a continuous droning sound from engine/transmission.

Truck stops are the way to go for gas , food, and joyful parking.
They generally have websites and some with apps.
For example, one of our favorites shows locations and other info here.
Love's Locate Us

I'm struggling with this, too, as I'm planning on moving across country next year. Right now my plan is to use ABF / U-Pack and have them drop a trailer which I will have loaded, ABF will deliver and I will have it unloaded. Prices seem reasonable compared to a UHaul rental, given the added convenience.

http://www.upack.com/moving-services/moving-trailer.asp

U-Pack is $3662 for a 17'. Not sure about a 20' but obviously more money.

17' U-Haul is $946 plus about $350 in gas so $1296 total. The 20' truck is $140 more but I'm guessing the 20' U-Pack is more than $140 extra.

If we use U-Pack, we don't need 2 nights in a hotel at about $200 total but we need a one way plane ticket which is about $140 for a $60 savings. Food doesn't really cost more. DW doesn't like to eat out much. She will either eat food she packed in a cooler during the driving trip or eat similar foods during that same time frame at the new destination while waiting for the shipment to arrive.

So in total the U-Pack would cost about $2350 extra. That's a significant difference in money. The moving part would be more convenient but the being in Florida without our belongings will be less convenient. We will have to either stay with family or get a hotel which cancels out the hotel savings from the U-Pack option and puts us up to $2550 extra.

We would pay the extra money if we needed to, but after reading this thread I don't see the need to. A big thing for me is that I'm old fashioned I guess, and driving cross country is the man's job. Having my wife do it while I sit back and relax in an airplane doesn't sit well with me. We tend to have traditional roles and we both like it that way, but she is also totally fine with stepping up and tackling any job when need be. She's awesome.

I was about to warn of the rear overhang of these trucks. On the 1st trip on my RV, I scraped a rear corner of my class C against a post at a gas station because I made the turn too tight.

This is easy to do.

I was helping my brother move a couple of years ago. He was driving a large-ish U-Haul and he did this - broke the post off completely. It was especially fun since it was around midnight in a slightly dicey neighborhood just off the interstate. Killed a couple of hours dealing with it. Such fun.

What is your plan to get things loaded in and out of the U-haul?

Hopefully you can start healing up soon and take a little stress off the situation. Moving is stressful anyway and throwing in some health issues is really tough.

What is your plan to get things loaded in and out of the U-haul?

Hopefully you can start healing up soon and take a little stress off the situation. Moving is stressful anyway and throwing in some health issues is really tough.

We have about 8 people coming to help, 4 of which are strong guys. We actually don't have very much heavy stuff. We are getting rid of a lot of our furniture that's 20 yrs old and buying new stuff once we get to Florida.

The only heavy things are fridge, washer, dryer and sectional couch. We are bringing one king sized mattress and box spring set but not any other bedroom furniture at all even though we have a 4 bedroom house.

The 20' truck is probably too big but I didnt want to take any chances. The biggest problem packing may be securing the load when its not packed all the way to the door.

A big thing for me is that I'm old fashioned I guess, and driving cross country is the man's job.

As a woman who has independently completed many long distance moves, two of them international, including one cross country drive alone (albeit with a passenger vehicle) I find that a bit patronizing.

the biggest challenge was unsafe drivers

Curiously, I had a different experience with this. Driving a 20+ foot truck with UHaul painted all over it clearly marked me as a amateur with a large vehicle. Although there were the usual aggressive drivers darting in front of me, there was also a strong incentive for anyone driving around me to give wide berth when I tried to maneuver. If I signaled and moved slowly, I could merge left or right in any traffic and any other driver who wasn't suicidally inattentive would quickly get out of my way.

As a woman who has independently completed many long distance moves, two of them international, including one cross country drive alone (albeit with a passenger vehicle) I find that a bit patronizing.

So Utrecht should self censor to avoid offense? This is his marriage and his life. He acknowledged that his wife is perfectly capable of doing the move, but still worries for her safety/well-being. This is offensive to you?

So Utrecht should self censor to avoid offense? This is his marriage and his life. He acknowledged that his wife is perfectly capable of doing the move, but still worries for her safety/well-being. This is offensive to you?

He already mentioned his wife is a former police officer. More likely then not his worry is a result of his not feeling well, feeling stress about the move and feeling that he won't be able to do his part. The way he expresses it is not a slam on women. That's my take on it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom