Driving

Over the past five years I have developed some sort of highway anxiety - my hands sweat and cramp up and in my head I am going to crash. I am fine on city streets and generally up to about 50mph. I hate it but am not sure what to do about it.
I'm exactly the opposite... I'm at home and very comfortable at highway speeds (and more) but tense up in city traffic.

You should automatically be using your turn signal in advance.

+2.

Here is what I don't understand about turn signal usage in general (not particularly in response to The Wizard's situation): why not just ALWAYS use them. Why do people even think about whether or not to use them? Just lighten the cognitive load: If you are turning, use the signals!

As a person who walks for most of my chores, I am particularly sensitive to this. You wouldn't believe how many people don't use turn signals when it is "only" for a pedestrian. HEY! I may be on foot, but I would also like to know where your car is going!

Of course, the flip side of this is that I sometimes use my signals when there really *is* no need. I laughed at myself the other day for putting on my turn signals while pulling out of my own driveway. :D:facepalm:

Over the past five years I have developed some sort of highway anxiety - my hands sweat and cramp up and in my head I am going to crash. I am fine on city streets and generally up to about 50mph. I hate it but am not sure what to do about it.

That exactly describes one of DW's best friends. She has gradually learned to get wherever she is going by using secondary roads and completely avoiding the interstates. It started about ten years ago and has gradually gotten more severe. Hardly a problem, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you routinely need to use a highway.

Of course, the flip side of this is that I sometimes use my signals when there really *is* no need. I laughed at myself the other day for putting on my turn signals while pulling out of my own driveway. :D:facepalm:

I had an employee that was observed using her turn signal in the parking structure. Even funnier when you realize it was a one way helix design. You had to go to the top to get back down. You could only go one way and you kept making left turns until you could exit.

I had an employee that was observed using her turn signal in the parking structure. Even funnier when you realize it was a one way helix design. You had to go to the top to get back down. You could only go one way and you kept making left turns until you could exit.

I understand what you are saying but there is a time to use your signal in a parking garage. I use mine most times I go in a parking garage. I use it when i'm about to pull into a parking spot and there is someone behind me. If I don't put it on they won't know i'm about to slow to nearly a stop and could hit me from behind. Brakes lights are not good enough to indicate you are pulling into a parking spot.

That's nothing, I've been known to keep my turn signal on for miles and miles on the road. :) Eventually I'll notice it when I am really ready to make a turn or, if I run out of blinker fluid...:2funny:

Last edited:
Maybe this should go in pet peeve thread but I hate it when people ride the brake. They are driving down the road with the brake lights on for miles clearly with no intention to stop or slow down yet they have their foot on the brake. That is not the right way to drive and is dangerous.

That's nothing, I've been known to keep my turn signal on for miles and miles on the road. :) Eventually I'll notice it when I am really ready to make a turn or, if I run out of blinker fluid...:2funny:

It's recommended to check the blinker fluid level every time you change the air in your tires.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 1.05.13 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 1.05.13 PM.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 13
And don't forget, you need to use a metric Crescent wrench to remove the blinker fluid filler cap. :)

e76d70dd-6a24-4d3d-aa4f-6df57346e5c6.2d5bad2bc1d930b52289a7a6d946f650.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting read, I avoid driving at night period. Last time I did realized one of my headlights were out.

On turn signals I activate lane assist so I get a ding from the car if I don't use my turn signal changing lanes. Which isn't as bad as the stink eye I get from Ms G.

I allow 15 minutes extra time to get anywhere and generally do the speed limit, but not the speed recommendations.

Active cruise control on the interstates with a 75 mph speed limit, I set the cruise at 80 and just let it be. My speed will in a range that I like except with trucks in the mountains.

Of course a trip to WalMart is 50 miles one way, with one stop sign. Most of the vehicle traffic is Border Patrol and cowboys.

If you ever watch Russell Crow in "Unhinged", you will permanently disconnect your horn.

Just watched a trailer for "Unhinged" on YouTube. Yikes!

Yep, gona stick with my practice of not honking at, flipping off, yelling at, etc. strangers even if I think I'm right. Just not worth it.

Folks that think that just because they're in their car, they're somehow safe from the wrath of a (rightly or wrongly) offended person must be nuts. Don't honk at or flip off another driver anymore than you would do the same to a big, mean lookin' dude who let his shopping cart bump into yours at Kroger. Assume you'll be face-to-face with the person whether you're standing next to them or in your car behind them.

edit: Just for entertainment, I just Googled "Chicago road rage shootings" and got pages of relatively recent incidents. I'm stickin' with my "no honkin' or flipping off" policy!

Last edited:
It's recommended to check the blinker fluid level every time you change the air in your tires.

I prefer the synthetic blinker fluid, as it flows better in colder temperatures. I swear the blinkers blink a little quicker with the synthetic fluid, so that proves it's better.

It costs a little more, but nothing's too good for my rides!

I live in North Carolina, and do all my driving in state.

No way am I ever going to honk at, flip off, or otherwise antagonize another driver. I just stay out of their way. The fact that they are already driving unsafely, or like idiots, is all the more reason to avoid them.

There are plenty of guns in this state, and way too many people who are way too ready to pull them out.

My policy is working so far. I always arrive home in the same condition that I left home, even if it takes me a few more minutes.

Just watched a trailer for "Unhinged" on YouTube. Yikes!

Yep, gona stick with my practice of not honking at, flipping off, yelling at, etc. strangers even if I think I'm right. Just not worth it.

Folks that think that just because they're in their car, they're somehow safe from the wrath of a (rightly or wrongly) offended person must be nuts. Don't honk at or flip off another driver anymore than you would do the same to a big, mean lookin' dude who let his shopping cart bump into yours at Kroger. Assume you'll be face-to-face with the person whether you're standing next to them or in your car behind them.

edit: Just for entertainment, I just Googled "Chicago road rage shootings" and got pages of relatively recent incidents. I'm stickin' with my "no honkin' or flipping off" policy!

Here in Texas, many folks carry a gun in their car, including me and all my close friends and the two next door 75 year old widows. It's just common here. Be careful honking at someone at a traffic light (or anyplace else, for that matter!) :LOL:

^^^^^
But just to set the record straight, we (Texans) don't all wear cowboy hats and boots (well not all the time anyways) we all don't ride horses (usually), and we don't all pull our guns just because someone pi**es us off on the road. IMO, anyone who "pulls" a gun in a road rage incident should be arrested, jailed for more than a few days and never allowed to carry a gun again. But that's me.

Last edited:
^^^^^
But just to set the record straight, we (Texans) don't all wear cowboy hats and boots (well not all the time anyways) we all don't ride horses (usually), and we don't all pull our guns just because someone pi**es us off on the road. IMO, anyone who "pulls" a gun in a road rage incident should be arrested, jailed for more than a few days and never allowed to carry a gun again. But that's me.

Glad you settled down my post. I was getting a little carried away. That comes with age, I guess.:)

But the neighbor ladies got their concealed carry permits for when they go to the store or gas station in case they get "bothered".

Glad you settled down my post. I was getting a little carried away. That comes with age, I guess.:)

But the neighbor ladies got their concealed carry permits for when they go to the store or gas station in case they get "bothered".

I'd just hope they didn't bother me, and just not meet their eye. Big city like.

Here in Paradise, we "drive with Aloha" (for the most part.) If someone signals they want to change lanes, most drivers let them in. The exception here seems to be tourists and military. They have not yet become accustomed to our aloha ways. Other places I've driven, you don't dare signal a lane change as folks will close up the space to keep one more car from getting in front of them.

Now, as far as using signals at a turn: Most locals signal AS they turn rather than before - if they signal at all. DW and I place bets on who/how many of a string of cars will actually signal as they form up in the left lane of our street. It's tricky, because if someone turns left (signal or not) we can pass them on the right just in time to make a left into our Condo. If they go straight from the left lane, we may get shut out and have to find a place to turn around and come back to turn right into our Condo. If there are more than three non-signaling cars in the left lane, I always take the right lane. At least ONE (if not all three) will turn left at that particular intersection. You just have to learn the "rules" in any particular driving location so YMMV.

In the small town nearby no need for turn signals. Everbody knows where I am going. When in Pittsburgh, does not matter, still get blocked off at times. Then there is also the locally famous and friendly Pittsbugh left.

Last edited:
Nice. What color? I'm in the process of ordering a B5 Blue 2023 Challenger R/T Scat Pack but not sure if the factory will build special orders at this point.

Indigo Blue metallic. Dodge will discontinue the color this year. It's kind of cool color that changes with different light sources. Dark blue to light blue to almost dark purple.

I had a choice of Gunmetal Grey and they look cool but I liked the Indigo Blue better:cool:

While I do like certain colors, they are secondary to me...

1st option (requirement) is pictured below and this is probably the last year they will be made.

th

Last edited:
Too many distractions in and out of the vehicle these days. I've avoided some accidents being an excellent defensive driver. I had a road rage incident where a fella passed me on a side-street after I got ahead of him to try and put him behind me. Stopped his car at an angle like he was ready to lock n load right in front of my truck... so I brought the fight to his door and he sped off. He had a nice audience by that point and I am almost certain someone had a cell phone recording.

Back
Top Bottom