Drone Pilot Medals !

Will there be an equivalent civilian award for people who are really good at "Call of Duty"?

Sorry, but to me this ranks up there with the various gedunk ribbons (given for happening to be enlisted while we're off having a war somewhere).

Will there be an equivalent civilian award for people who are really good at "Call of Duty"?

Sorry, but to me this ranks up there with the various gedunk ribbons (given for happening to be enlisted while we're off having a war somewhere).

Next up, a purple heart for carpel tunnel syndrome ?

Next up, a purple heart for carpel tunnel syndrome ?

Do you disapprove of medals for army doctors that invent new wound compresses or an Air Force meteorologist that comes up with a great new model for forecasting wing icing conditions on planes? If someone is a really good drone pilot and makes a real difference in the lives of others I would think that's worthy of some recognition.

When drone 'pilots' subject themselves to physical danger beyond paper cuts and hemorrhoids I'll support a decoration that ranks above the Good Conduct Medal.What a crock...

Do you disapprove of medals for army doctors that invent new wound compresses or an Air Force meteorologist that comes up with a great new model for forecasting wing icing conditions on planes? If someone is a really good drone pilot and makes a real difference in the lives of others I would think that's worthy of some recognition.
Absolutely worthy and deserving of recognition, but there are a handful of medals already on the books for this sort of service. Something ranking above the Bronze Star is totally inappropriate for anyone not demonstrating courage when faced with physical danger in the face of an enemy. The only danger these 'pilots' face is commuting too and from work every day.

Last edited:
Absolutely worthy and deserving of recognition, but there are a handful of medals already on the books for this sort of service. Something ranking above the Bronze Star is totally inappropriate for anyone not demonstrating courage when faced with physical danger in the face of an enemy. The only danger these 'pilots' face is commuting too and from work every day.

+1

dwh110126l.jpg

I got this while I had the Drone on full auto... pilot, and doing soduku.

I understand your point of view, but disagree.
The level of involvement these folks experience is far greater than most people realize.

The camera resolution on these RPVs is so high that the pilots develop a total immersion in the mission to an incredible degree. Their missions are actually quite similar to the old saw about "hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror."

When they spend many hours flying patrol, then get called in to support ground troops engaged in intense fighting, they are actually "there" in all senses except the obvious geographical one.

I have no problem at all with the new awards. And yes, I have my own Bronze Star, if that has any relevance to the discussion.

It looks like they are doing three versions of the Drone Medal, very much analogous to the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service medal, and given for the same reasons as the existing medals.

At least this is better than the 'I graduated from the school' medal that I initially thought it would be. I still don't see why they didn't stick with the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal, though. More fruit salad, anyone?

It looks like they are doing three versions of the Drone Medal, very much analogous to the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service medal, and given for the same reasons as the existing medals.

At least this is better than the 'I graduated from the school' medal that I initially thought it would be. I still don't see why they didn't stick with the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal, though. More fruit salad, anyone?
One of the new drone medals, the Distinguished Warfare Medal, ranks just below the Distinguished Flying cross and above the Bronze Star - and the Bronze Star ranks above both the Purple Heart and the Meritorious Service Medal. It's this medal that has drawn the most criticism:

It is not only the award itself, but its placement above, in order of prestige, the Bronze Star, that baffles and rankles some. The Bronze Star is awarded for extraordinary service to combatants in an actual war zone.
“The medal ranked below the Bronze would likely have caused general indifference,”
Pentagon uproar over Panetta's hero medals for drone operators, cyber sleuths - Washington Times

I thought being a REMF was its own reward.

My daughter saw my Air Force discharge papers. She called it my certificate of participation. So true.

I do not support medals ranking above the purple heart for people that have not been in harms way.

Also I am a private pilot. If your a** is not in the plane its not the same thing! Don't care about your prowess with simulators or remote control planes.

I have no medals myself. I was in during peace time.

I think new awards to recognize drone pilots make sense. Probably the guy who thought of it got an award for coming up with the idea.

A drone pilot wouldn't make a pimple on a real pilots ass.

When I was learning to fly 20 yrs ago, I found MS Flight Simulator harder than the real thing, albeit much less stresful.

Flying teaches your the meaning of comitment. The number of landings always equals the number of takeoffs, you don't have the option to disengage.:)

If your ass is on the line, you should get a medal. If your ass is in an easy chair half way around the world, you should get some type of proficieny award. No comparision between the two and two cents says the idiot that thought the drone pilot award should be higher than the bronze star with V device probably never saw a day of real combat in his life.

Long time lurker delurking.

Never mind how unjust these invasions are....Giving out medals for playing video games and assassinating innocent women and children is repulsive.

This also degrades those soldiers on the ground from Normandy and others who were truly deserving of reward.

Another token of the decline of America.

Back
Top Bottom