Dumb PC question

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a loaner laptop PC. While I was using it, it asked me if I wanted to update some software. I told it to remind me later (in 1 hr). Before that time I finished using it but left it on, thinking it might update itsef later.
Some hrs. later I went back to it and found the screen dark and light surrounding the on/off button flashing yellow/orange. If I touch any key, the screen remains dark. What does the flashing light mean? Is it updating itself and doesn't want to turn the screen on? or that it is now fully charged?
(had been sitting in it's carrying case, but now is plugged in to charger/power supply). or something else?

I have a loaner laptop PC. While I was using it, it asked me if I wanted to update some software. I told it to remind me later (in 1 hr). Before that time I finished using it but left it on, thinking it might update itsef later.
Some hrs. later I went back to it and found the screen dark and light surrounding the on/off button flashing yellow/orange. If I touch any key, the screen remains dark. What does the flashing light mean? Is it updating itself and doesn't want to turn the screen on? or that it is now fully charged?
(had been sitting in it's carrying case, but now is plugged in to charger/power supply). or something else?

Try just holding the on/off button down, until it shuts down completely. Then re-boot. I think this is just a hibernation phenomenon.

I agree it sounds like hibernation. Try quickly pressing the power button to see if it will wake up. That might save a complete reboot time.

Thanks, W2R & Animorph...........yes, seems like it was hibernating.......and touching the power button brought up that same want to update software now question so I updated at that point. Never seen the Mac do that so I was confused. Thanks for the helpful tip.

now that you mention it.......a few times the Mac screen has gone dark and I could not wake it up and had to turn it off completely so maybe that was just a deeper state.

Back
Top Bottom