Easy money scam

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I got a message in my linkedin a couple weeks ago from a good friend . He told me he was doing this part time job as a store auditor and if was interested contact this email address . So me being the fool and trusting a friend contacted the email . Now it seems they need retail store auditors and pay 300.00 per job . So after a few emails they send me a certified check , tell me to deposit it go to the post office buy 3 money orders and a bunch of stamps and keep the 300.00 over the purchase .

I did not do it of course , I have tried calling my friend and contacting him via LinkedIn ..I do not have his personal email but somehow these people have hijacked linkedin . Oh well Easy Money !

Shame ruining a guys reputation. Maybe write him a letter, google him in the white pages. Tell him someone is masquerading as him. Maybe reach out to him on Facebook. I dont do Facebook but lots of folks are on it.

Probably similar to the way folks hijack facebook accounts with copycat profiles.

Tell us when your bank notifies you the certified check was a fake and bounced, so they withdrew the entire amount from your account.
Usually takes 2-3 weeks.

I think he fully understands the scam.

I got a message in my linkedin a couple weeks ago from a good friend . He told me he was doing this part time job as a store auditor and if was interested contact this email address .

Any time you hear from someone you know who offers something that seems "interesting", but directs you to another site - particularly an email address -for more information instead of contacting them directly, assume it is a scam. This has happened to me a couple of times, I have contact the friend and they either were not aware their account was being used like that, or let me know their account had been compromised and to ignore it.

why would I want to click on a link I know is dirty?

why would I want to click on a link I know is dirty?

:facepalm:

No, I didn't click through either; it seemed painfully obvious, at least to me. :)

I'm wondering how much more than $300 the check would have been?

Also, nobody seems to have mentioned flagging it to LinkedIn (or did I miss that above?). Not to mention that if it was going to involve mailing stamps or money orders, would the post office be interested in the attempt?

Not to mention that if it was going to involve mailing stamps or money orders, would the post office be interested in the attempt?

Not sure about now, but when I was working in the police department Fraud Section they would have been very interested. But I've been out for 14 years.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Back
Top Bottom