Eating Food Just Because "It's Paid For"

Good point--there isn't a link to an article so who knows--maybe the parents really don't mind the food but the daughter just needed something to write about for some publication :LOL:

If she wrote for The Onion:

That food was barely fit to eat. Sushi was totally absent from the menu. No vegan options, and hardly anything was organic or locally sourced. No almond milk, no soy milk, nothing. Just 1%, 2%, whole and skim regular milk... from a cow of all creatures! Eggs from a chicken that wasn't free range. And corn fed beef at every meal.

Like the headline says, the food there was barely fit for human consumption but my parents ate it anyway because it was free. They never liked those juicy high fat ribs, or the fresh non-organic apple pies. The non-artisanal french baguettes had GMO wheat (wheat!) flour in them. Ewww. But because it was all paid for, they ate it anyway.

They feel guilty when they come visit me and rarely allow me to treat them to a meal at my favorite Mexican Indian Italian vegan fushion cuisine restaurant. Who doesn't love Mexican Naan Pizza? I can't hardly get them to go to any good restaurants with me. They always say they want to wait and eat back at their mess hall. It's called a "mess" hall for a reason. Gross. Who could eat that stuff. Just because it's free.

I read an essay, probably in The New Yorker, by a woman whose elderly parents moved into a CCRC where daily communal dinner was included in the price. Even though they had their own kitchen, shopped for groceries, were physically able to cook for themselves, didn't enjoy communal dining - and above all, didn't like the bland, buttery food that was served - they dutifully ate it night after night because they were paying for it. The author attributed this to her parents being lifelong thrifty New Englanders.

I just wondered if anyone here would eat food they didn't particularly care for, even if other options existed, simply because the food was free or "paid for."

Amethyst

:greetings10:The OP asked if you would eat food you didn't particularly care for; not about the people in the article.

I avoid places that have food included, or negotiate it out - even when I like it!

You can usually do that at hotels when bargaining. Their breakfasts are very low value for money anyway (and thus highly profitable). In case it is good value, I pay for it separately. Keeping options open and such.

In case I have no other option, I'll go for the already paid food unless I find myself facing food I would never buy for myself. I'll probably make a complaint about it then though since I am a rather flexible eater to begin with.

Between the normally over-crowded hotel breakfast rooms and the typically mediocre food offered there, we will gladly head out to a restaurant for a good, relaxing, non-crowded breakfast. In fact we did just that a little over a week ago while on a trip. The hotel breakfast area was noisy, crowded, and since we'd eaten there before, we knew that the food was just so-so.
I could understand if you didn't know what their breakfast service was like, but why would you knowingly reserve a room at a hotel that includes a paid breakfast you don't want? I'd book a hotel with an acceptable breakfast or one without breakfast first.

I read an essay, probably in The New Yorker, by a woman whose elderly parents moved into a CCRC where daily communal dinner was included in the price. Even though they had their own kitchen, shopped for groceries, were physically able to cook for themselves, didn't enjoy communal dining - and above all, didn't like the bland, buttery food that was served - they dutifully ate it night after night because they were paying for it. The author attributed this to her parents being lifelong thrifty New Englanders.

I just wondered if anyone here would eat food they didn't particularly care for, even if other options existed, simply because the food was free or "paid for."

Amethyst

Amethyst, I get the New Yorker but somehow missed this essay.
Would you mind posting the date of the issue in which it appeared?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We don't eat food that we don't care for, whether it's paid for or not.

If we have time for a nice breakfast we definitely go out rather than make do with the marginal food at some "free" hotel breakfast buffets.

I put free in parentheses because eating that food does have a cost - it's often not good for you, and we don't eat refined food producs at home.

Hmmmm....think Thanksgiving with sisters-in-law who can't cook worth a darn---"turkey's still frozen on the inside, but let's eat it anyway!"

Hmmmm....think Thanksgiving with sisters-in-law who can't cook worth a darn---"turkey's still frozen on the inside, but let's eat it anyway!"

We had microwaved turkey at my mom's house a few years back. It wasn't half bad if you cover it very very very liberally in lots and lots and lots of gravy. DW still laughs about that one (almost as funny as the time mom cooked spaghetti casserole without any sauce - yes, it was a bit dry).

Apparently mom didn't know that a turkey won't cook in 2 hours at 225 degrees like her online instructions said. :D

We now embrace any non-turkey dish at her house for thanksgiving. Ham, lasagna, pulled pork bbq, PBJ sandwiches, whatever.

I had a male bonding experience at Fogo de Chao this weekend with my son and two friends. We all way overdid it.

I would definitely put that in the high-price, high-quality category of all-you-can-eat. DH and I went to a similar place when we visited Brazil in 2000. Well worth it.

Tandem - if I knew where to find the article, I would post a link; but unfortunately, I don't recall for sure what periodical it was in.

The article focused on the ways of certain older New England Yankees who have money, yet practice weird and unnecessary thrift. The parents went into a CCRC because they felt they could no longer keep up the big family house. But the author, knowing her parents as she did, suspected they "traded" the house for a CCRC just to keep the children from getting it.

Amethyst

Amethyst, I get the New Yorker but somehow missed this essay.
Would you mind posting the date of the issue in which it appeared?

I could understand if you didn't know what their breakfast service was like, but why would you knowingly reserve a room at a hotel that includes a paid breakfast you don't want? I'd book a hotel with an acceptable breakfast or one without breakfast first.
Breakfast food served at a hotel is probably about the lowest thing on my list of criteria when booking a hotel. Granted, it's great when you can have your cake and eat it too. However, I normally base my hotel choices on cleanliness, comfort, safety, convenience, accessibility, location, and service by the staff. That's one reason that I always look for nearby Drury Inns and Suite first when we travel, plus they have a very nice breakfast selection as well as an evening menu included.

We don't eat food that we don't care for, whether it's paid for or not.

If we have time for a nice breakfast we definitely go out rather than make do with the marginal food at some "free" hotel breakfast buffets.

I put free in parentheses because eating that food does have a cost - it's often not good for you, and we don't eat refined food producs at home.
+1
I never eat 'marginal' food at home, and I choose not to eat it when traveling either, "free" or not.

I had a flight to Chicago cancelled out of Raleigh. I put up for the night at a Doubletree near the airport and spared no expense, including breakfast. It was great, and the waiter even sang "Nothing Could Be Finer Than To Be In Carolina" to me.

Last edited:
I routinely eat off the kids plates after dinner .... got fifths disease a few years ago from one of them (as it circulated thru the school system). Was laid up for 3 days.

But that didn't stop me from picking the salmon off their plates last night. ;)

Amethyst

Probably would on occasion, if only for the convenience. Most likely, if they served food I didn't like, I work for a change - especially in the reduction of butter. I could but my own seasoning and add it to the food. If I'm paying for it, the can d*&$ well accommodate me to a small degree,mor find out what a PIA I could be lol. Give me my uncooked portion and I'll prepare it myself, in my home.

Last edited:
That is the spirit! :dance: I want you as my CCRC buddy/ally.

Amethyst

Most likely, if they served food I didn't like, I work for a change - especially in the reduction of butter. I could but my own seasoning and add it to the food. If I'm paying for it, the can d*&$ well accommodate me to a small degree,mor find out what a PIA I could be lol.

I'm not big on free food, because I associate it with low quality or mass consumption (EDIT - I know not all free food is low quality, but in the back of my head, it's just how I perceive it)

The IT company I'm at has a catering service that delivers free buffet-style lunches once a week, and by the crowds of workers who flock to it, you'd think it was manna from heaven.

But I won't touch it. One, because I don't think it tastes that great, and second, because I like to get away from the office during lunch.

I've never been the type to bring my own lunch, or hang around the office at lunch, free food or not. I'd rather get out, go somewhere, sit down, and have a decent lunch and clear my head.

As a side note, I'm not big on leftovers either. Once I'm done with a meal, I'm done with it.

I only time I get to eat crap, is away from home.

thrashers.jpg

Hmmm - college dorm food, free hotel stuff, company cafferteria, seminar buffet. I think there is a mental aspect hidden here somewhere.

heh heh heh - now the ole logging camp of memory - beef, butter, potatoes, high sugar pies, etc, etc. Yum! Now I eat lean and take pills while my heart lusts for a cheeseburger with grilled onions, chili cheese fries and a Green River.

OK. I just finished writing my Thanksgiving sermon--about how we need to be grateful for the "bounty" that we have to chooose from. We sure can overlook those around us who don't have the chance to "not eat free food."

OK, sermon finished. Now pass the cornbread!

I'll eat most things once, but wouldn't eat an overall diet that was bad for me, regardless of whether it was "free" or not.

Free pizza once in a while? Definitely. Several times a week? Maybe not.

More than once in the service I had the opportunity to eat C-rations, K-rations, and MRE's, FREE! I can absolutely guarantee you that when given the chance I would eat just about anything else I could find at McDonalds, well if you could find a McDonalds. But the German bakery was a big hit!

OMG, that's Thrasher's French fries, isn't it?? They are the best. Only place I'll eat fries is Thrasher and this little food stand on the Macungie fair grounds (not fairground but forget right name).

I had not been to "The Shore" for years living here in Arizona. This was the one good reason to go to Rehoboth Beach. By the way I know the Allentown Fairgrounds well after living in Fogelsville for a bunch of years we always get the pizza kits.

Did somebody just say all you can eat buffet? :)

Those a fighting words ! :)

The allure of free food is hard to resist in an evolutionary sense. I believe the ingrained cost benefit analysis is overwhelmed by the offer. Reminds me of college, sure draw.

Now seriously, if the food was ok I would eat it once in a while even if it wasn't the greatest, just to try different dishes. Or maybe eat some items there and prepare others at home. Hard to believe they could be that bad with everything they served, every day, and for nothing to change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom