Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The daughter in OP's article and her parents should be raising hell if the food is that bad, or going to another facility.
I haven't read the article, but it might be a case of the daughter using her judgment of what's great food and using her own standards to evaluate her parents' dining hall food. Although maybe that's the kind of food her parents like. Pure speculation, but I can certainly say there's a difference in what my grandma calls delicious and what I call delicious.

Some of what we eat makes her say "ewww" and vice versa is true, too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Good point--there isn't a link to an article so who knows--maybe the parents really don't mind the food but the daughter just needed something to write about for some publication

Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I love good food too but if I am buying something that includes meals, I am either picking a place that offers good if simple food, or I am picking a place that has a price that does not include meals. No way am I paying twice. The daughter in OP's article and her parents should be raising hell if the food is that bad, or going to another facility.
Agreed. I can't imagine moving to a place where meals are included and having no idea of the menus or buffet/salad bar options.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I read an essay, probably in The New Yorker, by a woman whose elderly parents moved into a CCRC where daily communal dinner was included in the price. Even though they had their own kitchen, shopped for groceries, were physically able to cook for themselves, didn't enjoy communal dining - and above all, didn't like the bland, buttery food that was served - they dutifully ate it night after night because they were paying for it. The author attributed this to her parents being lifelong thrifty New Englanders.

I just wondered if anyone here would eat food they didn't particularly care for, even if other options existed, simply because the food was free or "paid for."

Amethyst
As a veteran of this board, you know that someone would for sure, but not me. That equates to turning your body into a dispose-all. There is someone somewhere who if he had a gun and a cartridge, he would shoot himself so the bullet cartridge would not go to waste.

Ha
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. Breakfast included at a hotel would be good example for us, it's unlikely we'd pass and pay for another breakfast somewhere else. But if something I've paid for tastes awful, whether included in some package or even at a restaurant, I won't eat it.
Between the normally over-crowded hotel breakfast rooms and the typically mediocre food offered there, we will gladly head out to a restaurant for a good, relaxing, non-crowded breakfast. In fact we did just that a little over a week ago while on a trip. The hotel breakfast area was noisy, crowded, and since we'd eaten there before, we knew that the food was just so-so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
?...I know I sound picky but I love good food (defined as good quality basic ingredients with little processing). I eat the other stuff only if I'm starving.

So no, I wouldn't eat food "just because it's paid for" and if the food at a retirement community were that bad I'd make sure everything else was exactly what I wanted or go elsewhere. I avoid buffets, too. They're either cheap with greasy, starchy food or so high-priced that they make a huge profit on me because i'm not an overeater.
+1

I love good (great) tasting food, prepared with good quality, healthy ingredients. I'm not picky, I just don't settle for mediocre, and I prefer not to eat unhealthy crap. And as for buffets, someone else can have my parking space and seat! Most of them are over-priced, unappetizing, and in my opinion, just plain nasty!

I prefer to do my own food prep and cooking, and would prefer to continue doing that if I lived in an assisted living community or similar place, even if the meals that they provided were included in the overall price.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good point--there isn't a link to an article so who knows--maybe the parents really don't mind the food but the daughter just needed something to write about for some publication
If she wrote for The Onion:

Quote:
That food was barely fit to eat. Sushi was totally absent from the menu. No vegan options, and hardly anything was organic or locally sourced. No almond milk, no soy milk, nothing. Just 1%, 2%, whole and skim regular milk... from a cow of all creatures! Eggs from a chicken that wasn't free range. And corn fed beef at every meal.

Like the headline says, the food there was barely fit for human consumption but my parents ate it anyway because it was free. They never liked those juicy high fat ribs, or the fresh non-organic apple pies. The non-artisanal french baguettes had GMO wheat (wheat!) flour in them. Ewww. But because it was all paid for, they ate it anyway.

They feel guilty when they come visit me and rarely allow me to treat them to a meal at my favorite Mexican Indian Italian vegan fushion cuisine restaurant. Who doesn't love Mexican Naan Pizza? I can't hardly get them to go to any good restaurants with me. They always say they want to wait and eat back at their mess hall. It's called a "mess" hall for a reason. Gross. Who could eat that stuff. Just because it's free.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #27

Quote:
I read an essay, probably in The New Yorker, by a woman whose elderly parents moved into a CCRC where daily communal dinner was included in the price. Even though they had their own kitchen, shopped for groceries, were physically able to cook for themselves, didn't enjoy communal dining - and above all, didn't like the bland, buttery food that was served - they dutifully ate it night after night because they were paying for it. The author attributed this to her parents being lifelong thrifty New Englanders.

I just wondered if anyone here would eat food they didn't particularly care for, even if other options existed, simply because the food was free or "paid for."

Amethyst
The OP asked if you would eat food you didn't particularly care for; not about the people in the article.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #28

I avoid places that have food included, or negotiate it out - even when I like it!

You can usually do that at hotels when bargaining. Their breakfasts are very low value for money anyway (and thus highly profitable). In case it is good value, I pay for it separately. Keeping options open and such.

In case I have no other option, I'll go for the already paid food unless I find myself facing food I would never buy for myself. I'll probably make a complaint about it then though since I am a rather flexible eater to begin with.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:41 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Between the normally over-crowded hotel breakfast rooms and the typically mediocre food offered there, we will gladly head out to a restaurant for a good, relaxing, non-crowded breakfast. In fact we did just that a little over a week ago while on a trip. The hotel breakfast area was noisy, crowded, and since we'd eaten there before, we knew that the food was just so-so.
I could understand if you didn't know what their breakfast service was like, but why would you knowingly reserve a room at a hotel that includes a paid breakfast you don't want? I'd book a hotel with an acceptable breakfast or one without breakfast first.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I had a male bonding experience at Fogo de Chao this weekend with my son and two friends. We all way overdid it.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Amethyst

Amethyst, I get the New Yorker but somehow missed this essay.
Would you mind posting the date of the issue in which it appeared?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We don't eat food that we don't care for, whether it's paid for or not.

If we have time for a nice breakfast we definitely go out rather than make do with the marginal food at some "free" hotel breakfast buffets.

I put free in parentheses because eating that food does have a cost - it's often not good for you, and we don't eat refined food producs at home.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmmm....think Thanksgiving with sisters-in-law who can't cook worth a darn---"turkey's still frozen on the inside, but let's eat it anyway!"
Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Hmmmm....think Thanksgiving with sisters-in-law who can't cook worth a darn---"turkey's still frozen on the inside, but let's eat it anyway!"
We had microwaved turkey at my mom's house a few years back. It wasn't half bad if you cover it very very very liberally in lots and lots and lots of gravy. DW still laughs about that one (almost as funny as the time mom cooked spaghetti casserole without any sauce - yes, it was a bit dry).

Apparently mom didn't know that a turkey won't cook in 2 hours at 225 degrees like her online instructions said.

We now embrace any non-turkey dish at her house for thanksgiving. Ham, lasagna, pulled pork bbq, PBJ sandwiches, whatever.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I had a male bonding experience at Fogo de Chao this weekend with my son and two friends. We all way overdid it.
I would definitely put that in the high-price, high-quality category of all-you-can-eat. DH and I went to a similar place when we visited Brazil in 2000. Well worth it.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Tandem - if I knew where to find the article, I would post a link; but unfortunately, I don't recall for sure what periodical it was in.

The article focused on the ways of certain older New England Yankees who have money, yet practice weird and unnecessary thrift. The parents went into a CCRC because they felt they could no longer keep up the big family house. But the author, knowing her parents as she did, suspected they "traded" the house for a CCRC just to keep the children from getting it.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemlovers View Post
Amethyst, I get the New Yorker but somehow missed this essay.
Would you mind posting the date of the issue in which it appeared?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I could understand if you didn't know what their breakfast service was like, but why would you knowingly reserve a room at a hotel that includes a paid breakfast you don't want? I'd book a hotel with an acceptable breakfast or one without breakfast first.
Breakfast food served at a hotel is probably about the lowest thing on my list of criteria when booking a hotel. Granted, it's great when you can have your cake and eat it too. However, I normally base my hotel choices on cleanliness, comfort, safety, convenience, accessibility, location, and service by the staff. That's one reason that I always look for nearby Drury Inns and Suite first when we travel, plus they have a very nice breakfast selection as well as an evening menu included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We don't eat food that we don't care for, whether it's paid for or not.

If we have time for a nice breakfast we definitely go out rather than make do with the marginal food at some "free" hotel breakfast buffets.

I put free in parentheses because eating that food does have a cost - it's often not good for you, and we don't eat refined food producs at home.
+1
I never eat 'marginal' food at home, and I choose not to eat it when traveling either, "free" or not.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #38

Eating Food Just Because "It's Paid For"

I had a flight to Chicago cancelled out of Raleigh. I put up for the night at a Doubletree near the airport and spared no expense, including breakfast. It was great, and the waiter even sang "Nothing Could Be Finer Than To Be In Carolina" to me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #39

I routinely eat off the kids plates after dinner .... got fifths disease a few years ago from one of them (as it circulated thru the school system). Was laid up for 3 days.

But that didn't stop me from picking the salmon off their plates last night.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #40

Eating Food Just Because "It's Paid For"

Quote:

Amethyst

Probably would on occasion, if only for the convenience. Most likely, if they served food I didn't like, I work for a change - especially in the reduction of butter. I could but my own seasoning and add it to the food. If I'm paying for it, the can d*&$ well accommodate me to a small degree,mor find out what a PIA I could be lol. Give me my uncooked portion and I'll prepare it myself, in my home.

Tags
ccrc, food, frugal, thrifty