Elderhostel is now Exploritas

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
From time to time I receive email offers from Elderhostel. I have never attended one of their trips, but they sound inviting. Here is an email that I received today.

Welcome to Exploritas, the new name for the exciting learning adventures of Elderhostel. When you hear the name Exploritas, I hope it will convey the excitement of true exploration and the passion, sense of adventure, warmth and unique spirit that have become synonymous with the name "Elderhostel" for nearly 35 years.

In time, we hope the Exploritas name will open the doors to lifelong learning — not only to the over 4 million participants who have already explored the world with us — but also to those many millions of adults who have never joined our community of lifelong learners and experienced our educational adventures.

Rest assured, the name Elderhostel will continue to be the name of our organization, and everything you love about Elderhostel will remain unchanged. We will continue to create exciting learning adventures that challenge your mind and infuse your spirit, matching expert instructors and enthusiastic participants from diverse backgrounds and fostering dynamic interaction, engaging discourse and warm camaraderie.

Thank you for making Elderhostel the world's not-for-profit leader in lifelong learning and educational travel. If you have any thoughts you'd like to share, please feel free to send me an e-mail at comments@exploritas.org. We hope to see you on an Exploritas program soon!

From time to time I receive email offers from Elderhostel. I have never attended one of their trips, but they sound inviting. Here is an email that I received today.

I gotta ask.... if "excitement of true exploration... passion, sense of adventure, warmth and unique spirit" are "synonymous with the name 'Elderhostel' ", why are they changing it?

I gotta ask.... if "excitement of true exploration... passion, sense of adventure, warmth and unique spirit" are "synonymous with the name 'Elderhostel' ", why are they changing it?
Let me try to guess...

From a business standpoint, to point out the obvious, much smarter move. I always thought Elderhostel as a name sucked myself as I was picturing these old foggies with their walkers going around Europe...fun...not.

I read about the name change in either the WSJ or the NYT. Apparently Elderhostel was losing money catering just to the 55 and older crowd when coupled with the economic downturn. It is hoping to attract people 21 and older, hence the name change. I have never taken one of their trips although their offerings appeal to me greatly, and I see many things on their website that I would enjoy. I know a couple in their 70's(very active people who could run circles around me) who take at least one of their trips every year, something they have done for the last 20 years.

I read about the name change in either the WSJ or the NYT. Apparently Elderhostel was losing money catering just to the 55 and older crowd when coupled with the economic downturn. It is hoping to attract people 21 and older, hence the name change. I have never taken one of their trips although their offerings appeal to me greatly, and I see many things on their website that I would enjoy. I know a couple in their 70's(very active people who could run circles around me) who take at least one of their trips every year, something they have done for the last 20 years.

I didn't see anything in the above that the trips would now be open to under-55s as well. I guess that explains it. When I read the above about all the people who hadn't been on one of their outings yet I thought they just meant there were a lot of seniors who hadn't yet gone.

From a business standpoint, to point out the obvious, much smarter move. I always thought Elderhostel as a name sucked myself as I was picturing these old foggies with their walkers going around Europe...fun...not.

Yep...I think some people may get hostel and hostile confused...
sFun_oldguy.gif

Well, when I was 25 55 was elderly. I'm now 53 and 55 is pretty doggone young! They had to change the name to reflect the shifting nature of reality. :cool:

Exploritas sounds like a new Taco Bell offering. A flour tortilla wrapped around a surprise filling. Carnitas Gorditas Exploritas Bonitas.

I didn't know anything about this outfit except hearing the name and the focus on "elder." But looking at the site, whether Exploritas or Elderhostel, I see they have some very cool trips that weren't at all what I expected. So I might have to look into these!

Interesting statement. I don't think they'll be overrun with "too energetic" young people either. :)

Ha
What Ha said, because of the cost, and the content of their offerings.

Rita

Back
Top Bottom