Electronics Disposal

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
What you did.
When you did it.
How does it work where you are?
How much does/did it cost?

... or, like me, do you still have that 27" vacuum tube TV, 14 inch monster monitor and 25 lb. floor mount computer.

I know there have been threads on this, but need an update.

My county has regular hazardous waste disposal days. One very close to me annually. I drop my electronic waste on those days. I’ve pretty much gotten rid of all my old electronics and hazardous waste at this point so I may skip a year. I told everyone in the family years ago to get rid of all old CRT monitors. For awhile they stopped taking them. I think now they charge a small fee.

Most Staples stores will take them. No charge, just drop them off.

My county has regular hazardous waste disposal days. One very close to me annually. I drop my electronic waste on those days. I’ve pretty much gotten rid of all my old electronics and hazardous waste at this point so I may skip a year. I told everyone in the family years ago to get rid of all old CRT monitors. For awhile they stopped taking them. I think now they charge a small fee.

Oh... yeah... Now I remember writing on this not too long ago... We have this too, but it doesn't work that easy. first of all. limit 1 Monitor or TV ($27) plus one other item... second... only once every two or three months.... third... only from 10 AM, to 2 PM.... fourth.. (from experience)...

Got in line at 10 AM... line was two miles+ long. Got to the dropoff point at almost 2 PM and was three cars away, when they closed it down. :(

braumeister?

Could i have the address of the Staple store that takes this stuff? I could turn it into a long distance trip for jeanie and me... ours doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Best buy will take most things too. Free except for monitors/ tvs I think. You can bring as many cords etc and there is a place by the entry. Everything else goes to the customer service desk. There is a limit of 2-3 things a day I asked nicely when I had 4 things and they accepted them.

Usually just go to our county "convenience center." We pay for it on our tax bills. They accept pretty much everything except radioactive waste. Tires, appliances, electronics, chemicals, paint, bulbs, etc.

I have on occasion gone to the local metal recycler. They will take circuit boards. No old TVs, but just about any other electronic intact. It is usually worth a few dollars, but the process is a culture shock. Also requires an ID. For high value theft items (copper coils, cat converters), they'll require a fingerprint too.

Our city dump has a special dumpster reserved for televisions--free.

In fact, the whole dump is free. And if you're nice, they will help you unload your truck. I probably average a pickup truck full of something every week like trees and yard waste.

We have city sponsored ewaste events quarterly and a big private one annually at home depot.

But best is a private co that comes door to door every other month and picks up the stuff off your driveway.

Got in line at 10 AM... line was two miles+ long. Got to the dropoff point at almost 2 PM and was three cars away, when they closed it down. :(

braumeister?

Could i have the address of the Staple store that takes this stuff? I could turn it into a long distance trip for jeanie and me... ours doesn't do that.

Yes, I skip the 'events', those can have long lines. I found the places where you can take stuff during regular business hours. I think they do charge for big old tube TVs now, but we got rid of ours before the fees started.

Like others mentioned, Best Buy when I have a smaller amount of stuff.

-ERD50

I took a couple of old TVs to Best Buy back when it was free. Since then, I've just stuck them in a nook in the crawl space where they can stay forever.

If you have any not-too-ancient tech to get rid of, check the Amazon trade-in program. In addition to the 5-yr old Kindle I traded in for $25 on Prime Day, I also sent back an iPhone 5C and an iPhone 4S for a total of $17.

They were not interested in my original model iPad or an old Garmin GPS though, so those went to Best Buy along with a pile of old cables.

When I was a kid, I loved to get broken electronics to salvage parts. Each capacitor, resistor, vacuum tube and transistor, transformer were tenderly dismounted or unsoldered, and lovingly added to my part bins.

Modern electronics are now mostly a bunch of specialized and complex ICs that are not possible to reuse. Nothing to do but to chuck them. In a way, that's sad.

We have a free municipal recycle/dump/yard/hazardous waste place 10 minutes away. Or if works I put it at curb - usually gone in 30 minutes.

Thanks for the tip about Best Buy. Given that I'm down to just a few things from time to time, I'll use them instead of waiting in line at the annual event. That will be a lot better.

I use our county dump, it's free to residents, and they separate and recycle most things (monitors/tvs/computers, motor oil, household chemicals, or large appliances for example). I also cut the opening on a milk jug a little wider and use it to save up small stuff, like batteries, for my next trip. Which reminds me, I do have a TV I need to drop off this weekend, I might as well bring the milk jug, it's probably about half full!

If you look at the Staples website you can see this page that outlines it. Since they specifically list your local Staples, I'm surprised that you have a problem.

I normally just walk in with my old stuff, place it on the counter, say "Recycling" and walk out again. I usually get a "Thank you" for my trouble.

Our county (City & County of Honolulu) offers periodic free e-waste events, mostly at downtown businesses, and at public schools. I drop off small lithium batteries at Best Buy, and lead acid batteries at my local battery store or COSTCO. Sometimes, I just leave stuff with my IT department...but not for long!

Have you tried googling your township/county + electronics recycling? You may be surprised.

Be sure you use something like wipe disk on any computer hard drive or simply remove the drive from the computer and physically destroy it with a hammer...

Be sure you use something like wipe disk on any computer hard drive or simply remove the drive from the computer and physically destroy it with a hammer...

I use DBAN, because I'm usually re-using the drive or giving it away, but you can also physically destroy it. I find the easiest way is to open the drive and drill a lot of holes in the platter. Whether you use a hammer or a drill, it's pretty satisfying. :)

I’ve kept every hard drive I’ve ever had. I guess I should save some space and destroy them.

I've found that the older cases made of aluminum make nice incense holders once disassembled. I removed everything except for head and armature. This has small holes along the arm that can hold the end of stick incense.
I usually send the stack of parts to recycling. The platters can be mutilated by your favorite method.

Back
Top Bottom