Electronics Disposal

The platters can be mutilated by your favorite method.

• Angle grinders
  • Drills
  • Vise and hammer
  • Shears
  • Hacksaws
  • Bench grinders
  • Foot stomp
  • Torch
  • Magnet

Had fun with all of them. I never leave a platter intact.

I line the bottom of backyard firepit with platters. Eventually they become crumbled bits of metallic substance mixed in with ash.

Last edited:
We can drop off all e-waste at Goodwill. There is no fee. I've seen large TVs in their e-waste bin while I dropping off other items.

With computers, yeah I remove the HD and drill 4 holes through it right where the discs are then toss it back in the computer case and leave it on the sidewalk for pickup.

The power supply from a desktop makes a nice workshop test voltage source.

The power supply from a desktop makes a nice workshop test voltage source.

Interesting! Can anyone tell me, is it important to solder the ground/power on wires rather than use wire nuts? My only real experience with wiring is with household 120v wiring, so I mostly twist and tape or use a wire nut. I can see why you'd want to solder the connectors to the bunched yellow and black wires, but my first thought was to cut the green and black wires much shorter, then use a wire nut to connect them.

Interesting! Can anyone tell me, is it important to solder the ground/power on wires rather than use wire nuts? My only real experience with wiring is with household 120v wiring, so I mostly twist and tape or use a wire nut. I can see why you'd want to solder the connectors to the bunched yellow and black wires, but my first thought was to cut the green and black wires much shorter, then use a wire nut to connect them.
Wire nuts are fine. I'd add that there are lots of YouTube videos on this hack and for only a little more effort, you can get 3, 5 and 12 volt outputs. The 5 volt output makes a kick butt phone charger.

We had an old 27'" television that I wanted to get rid of.

My idea: unfold a tarp in the driveway, set said tv on it, fold flap of tarp over TV and smash it with the front end loader of my tractor. Fold up the mess and drop it into the dumpster.
Easy-peasy right.

DW was appalled. Take it to the county transfer station she says.

Okay so I load the old TV into the back of the pickup, securing with rope and countless granny knots and drive to the disposal site. After paying the $32 minimum disposal charge and being directed to back into bay #1, the transfer station associate sweeps the tv off the back of the truck exploding the tv tube followed by associate #2 who crushes it with the front end loader of a bobcat and sweeps into the pile of other detritus comprised of household and construction waste.

Learn learned: SSS (smashit, shovelit, shutup)

Last edited:

Unfortunately, electronics products can contain toxic substances, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium, which all must be disposed of carefully. How would that method handle those things? Just let it seep into the aquafer?

Unfortunately, electronics products can contain toxic substances, such as lead, mercury, and cadmium, which all must be disposed of carefully. How would that method handle those things? Just let it seep into the aquafer?

Indeed. Always comply with federal, state, county, city and/or township disposal ordinances as may apply.

......... After paying the $32 minimum disposal charge and being directed to back into bay #1, the transfer station associate sweeps the tv off the back of the truck exploding the tv tube followed by associate #2 who crushes it with the front end loader of a bobcat and sweeps into the pile of other detritus comprised of household and construction waste............
That was totally irresponsible of the transfer station employee and would not only get him fired at our local transfer station, but maybe jailed as well. There is nasty stuff inside a TV picture tube.

We had an old 27'" television that I wanted to get rid of.

My idea: unfold a tarp in the driveway, set said tv on it, fold flap of tarp over TV and smash it with the front end loader of my tractor. Fold up the mess and drop it into the dumpster.
Easy-peasy right.

DW was appalled. Take it to the county transfer station she says.

Okay so I load the old TV into the back of the pickup, securing with rope and countless granny knots and drive to the disposal site. After paying the $32 minimum disposal charge and being directed to back into bay #1, the transfer station associate sweeps the tv off the back of the truck exploding the tv tube followed by associate #2 who crushes it with the front end loader of a bobcat and sweeps into the pile of other detritus comprised of household and construction waste.

Zedd, around these parts, we just put it out on the curb at night and the next morning it is magically gone. :LOL:

How many millions of homes had TV's from the early 50's on.... ?
How many TV's?

Where did they all go?

Today, at least... where we live, before a "dump" is authorized, a layer of concrete insulation is laid in the depression. How much good it does is questionable, but most of US will live through it.

We've decided to not have any more kids.

Zedd, around these parts, we just put it out on the curb at night and the next morning it is magically gone. [emoji23]

I did exactly this a few nights ago. I had an old 40” LED TV that kinda worked, but had faint multi-color lines running throughout the screen. I replaced it with a new unit on Prime Day. After swapping out the TVs, the old one went to the curb. It was gone when I got up the next day. Problem solved.

I did consider putting the old unit in the box that the new one was packed in, and setting it out on my front porch to see if any porch pirates would take the bait. But, I finally decided that however much fun that might be, it probably was not a good idea.

Last edited:
That was totally irresponsible of the transfer station employee and would not only get him fired at our local transfer station, but maybe jailed as well. There is nasty stuff inside a TV picture tube.
State laws differ. It would be a criminal act in NC.

I tried to look up Montana's laws and all I saw was a bunch of "study" papers for their legislature. Not sure if any made it to law. Seem like they were pleading for the feds to do something. Also a lot of concern in the study about the fact people have to pay for disposal.

It costs us a few bucks on our tax bill, but I'm glad Wake County, NC has gone to free drop off for all this stuff. You just don't see dumping around here anymore. They take it all, no questions asked.

When I lived in Orange County,Ca they had an advertisement that came with the trash collection bill. It gave an address where one could drop off old electronic equipment and things of that nature.

I would think one could get on the city's website and see if such a thing exists for where one lives. If not, one could call the city hall and ask them what to do.

Back
Top Bottom