ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread

Brew, the only time Dad got us to eat squirrel as kids, I bit into a bit of shot. I think I'd have been okay with it, otherwise. We did eat a lot of quail and dove as kids, though.

Limb Chicken Pot Pie

Simmer 3 free range, organic limb chickens until tender. I tossed mine in a crock pot in the morning and by afternoon they were ready. Shred the meat off the bone. Cook a 12 oz. package of peas and carrots (frozen) according to package directions and drain. Mix 1 cup of your limb chicken broth with 1.5 T of flour, 1 tsp of the seasoning of your choice (I used Penzey's "Forward!" blend) and 1tsp salt. Mix broth, meat and veggies together and dump into a pie pan lined with crust (I use store bought crusts). Top with another crust and make a few holes for steam to escape. Bake at 350F for 45 min to an hour (looking for a nicely browned crust). Serve with beer (bluegrass music optional).

If you are not priveleged to spend the occasional day in the field pursuing one of the more fun varieties of game, or don't know a limb chicken hunter willing to share, this recipe would work with store bought chicken (maybe a 2.5 to 3# fryer) or rabbit.

It would be nice to have a thread discussing basic recipes for those like me who can't cook :)
You sound like a perfect candidate for a crockpot, aka slow cooker.

1. Buy meat of your choice. Place meat in crockpot.
2a. Add simple spices like salt and pepper, garlic, parsley. Throw in a chopped small onion, if you like. Add approx 1/4 cup of water.
OR
2b. Add can of low salt soup, diluted half strength.
3. Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. Taste and add more slices to taste.
4. Make some rice or egg noodles or microwave a potato for the side dish. Or microwave some frozen vegetables if you want to go low carb.
5. Serve crockpot contents over the side dish, or in a bowl with veggies on the side. Or mix it all together.
6. Freeze any leftovers in single serving size containers.

These sites may be useful
http://www.50plusfriends.com/serve.php?lg=en&dn=50plusfriends.com&ps=ee6c7665dc204d8a9b3d52da840e1e50&le=2013012119000056990&aq=Crockpot%20Recipes&tk=AG06ipA8ZdalJNDFmA4Wwc3h_X0475ovOQoTCIjigKPa-rQCFS8oNAodq20AgRACGAAgADg1UJWOogFQmY6iAVDt-I4IUNPvsw5Qt_2YD1Chpc4PUNC73A9Qkav2D1D6gPcPUO3krhBQg7q1EVDsurURUKXl6RJQsKCmE1C0oKYTUJ35uxNQmuuEG1DVhY0dUMLZkSFQg5ytKVDTsa0pUPugrylQy6__Q1C5j5OPAVDy6PuTAVCbrPeVAVDFpp2XAVDlvKqnAVDCyoLHAlDwismdA1CppcCGBmiVjqIBaJmOogFx9H0_4TmIPR-CARMIp6CBo9r6tAIVCS80Ch0sYABIkQHIgBTTPEPADA

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/main-dish/slow-cooker/

Last edited:
Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. The Limb Chicken pot pie was a hit with my 6YO:

Attachments

• 224580_4601918319965_1245474489_n.jpg
    224580_4601918319965_1245474489_n.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 16
--

Not much into cooking, but wanted to share my experience with food at the supermarket. In front of God and many shoppers, I picked up a bottle of salad dressing and too loudly asked DW what "og fat" was.

Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. The Limb Chicken pot pie was a hit with my 6YO:
The pie looks tasty and that cute little girl looks like she's enjoying it.

Yep. One needs to introduce youngsters to the culinary art early. I have read that American kids are fed too much processed food, compared to European kids who know to enjoy really better food.

Those things made up a large portion of the protein in my father's family when he was a kid (rural Illinois). He used to have contests with his brother to see who could bring home the most, and my dad always claimed he could shoot the eye out of any squirrel at 25 yards.

When they got married, the first dinner my mom ever ate at her new in-laws' house featured limb chicken. She commented that it was the best chicken she had ever tasted (she was from NYC) and the whole extended family just about split a gut laughing. I heard that story a lot when I was growing up. :LOL:

How about a great pancake recipe?

Scooterdog Pancakes
from Scooterdog

I'm not sure where this came from but it is our household staple. Have tried many recipes but this one gets lots of approval from the little ones (especially enhanced with chocolate chips or fruit).

1 c flour 1 T sugar 1 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
salt 1/8 tsp nutmeg 1/2 c milk 1/2 c plain yogurt 1 egg 2 T Oil

Mix and fry. Makes 8 ~4-inch pancakes.

Really Good and Easy Buttermilk Cornbread

Melt 1 stick of butter. Remove from heat; stir in 2/3 c white sugar
Whisk in 2 eggs
Stir in 1 c buttermilk and 1/2 tsp baking soda
Stir in 1 c each of flour and cornmeal. Add 1/2 tsp salt
Bake 375 @ 25 minutes in a buttered 8 or 9 inch pan.

Presbyterian Cocktail

I'm posting mainly just to remind people that this great thread exists, but was motivated by being able to fire up the grill today for the first time this year (what is that? Spring weather?).

A few years ago, I was in a small town outside of Indianapolis and ran across this cozy-looking Irish pub. It was pretty chilly (late October), and they were featuring this drink, which I'd never had. It's called a Presbyterian, and I love them.

• 1-1/2 oz. Irish whiskey (they used Red Breast, which is great but kind of pricey)
  • Club soda
  • Ginger ale

Put a few ice cubes in a highball glass, pour the whiskey over the ice, fill most of the remaining space with club soda, and finish with a splash of ginger ale.

Some people apparently like to mix the club soda and ginger ale equally, but that's too sweet for me.

That sounds good, steely. And I'd drink it if I hadn't ruined my taste for Irish whisky with a VERY ill-advised evening of too many Irish car bombs. Now I'm unable to even smell the three components: Irish whisky, Guinness, and Irish creme without some vivid recollections.

But I'll share it with DH, who didn't share my poor judgment that night. :)

That sounds good, steely. And I'd drink it if I hadn't ruined my taste for Irish whisky with a VERY ill-advised evening of too many Irish car bombs. Now I'm unable to even smell the three components: Irish whisky, Guinness, and Irish creme without some vivid recollections.

But I'll share it with DH, who didn't share my poor judgment that night. :)

You're nuts. I bet you listen to pedal steel guitar!

For those with a sweet tooth I tried this somewhat healthy (made with avacado) chocolate mousse receipe yesterday and it came out really good.

1 ripe avacado, 1-2 ripe bananas, 2 teaspoons almond butter (I used regular peanut butter since it was all I had), 2 heaping teaspoons cocoa, 4 tablespoons water, 6 pitted marjool dates

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until everything is smooth, best if refrigerated first.

Strawberry syrup

I am being flooded with strawberries (harvesting about 4 cups a day!) and I just made a big batch of syrup from them. It's really good on ice cream and waffles.

In a saucepan large enough for vigorous bubbling: 2 C chopped strawberries, 1 scant C sugar, 2 Tbsp good balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer/very low boil and cook for 20 minutes.

Tomato/Cucumber & Avocado Salad

Cut tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados into bite sized pieces. Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with juice of 1/2 lime. Add a little sea salt and generous amount of pepper to the vinaigrette, then toss it all together.

With fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, this is so good!

Last edited:
Too many cherry tomatoes?

If you don't follow the Smitten Kitchen blog, I highly recommend it. I actually follow her on Facebook, so her updates just appear in my feed, but if you're not a FBer, do check out her blog. The photography alone is worth a peek.

She posted this One pan farro with tomatoes in July, and I really can't get enough of it. I'd never even heard of farro (it's a grain) but what she says at the end of the recipe is so very true:

Drizzle farro lightly with additional olive oil, scatter with basil and parmesan. Eat immediately. Repeat tomorrow.

You will.....

Here's a very simple recipe for a really healthy dinner that I made last night:

Ingredients:
3 jumbo scallops
1 tsp butter
Sprig of rosemary
4 cloves of garlic with the green stems removed, crushed
6 medium sized mushrooms, cut up
Broccoli (as much as you like)

Lemon sauce:
3/4 cup of milk
juice of 1/2 a lemon
4 tsp of flour
1 tbs of butter
2 or 3 chopped shallots

Start with the lemon sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and stir. Then add the milk, chopped shallots and lemon juice. Reserve.

Boil some water prior to steaming the broccoli for no more than 3-4 minutes.

In a saute pan, melt the butter and toss in the crushed garlic and rosemary. When it's all smelling wonderful, toss in the mushrooms. Finally, place the scallops in the pan for 2 1/2 minutes till lightly browned, then turn them over and do the other side. Don't overcook, or they will be rubbery.

Put everything on a plate and pour the lemon sauce over the scallops. Enjoy! There will be some lemon sauce left over.

Yum. :)

Squirrel and dumplins:

Squirrel is also referred to as "chicken of the tree," so if you are not fortunate to have some organic, free range, sustainable squirrels in your fridge, you will have to make do with store bought chicken.

Simmer 2 squirrels with seasonings of your choice (I used Penzey's "Ozark" seasoning and a large red dried NM chile) until tender. Shred meat off the bone and set aside. Strain broth. Make up dumplins with 2 cups flour and 1 tsp salt mixed together. Cut in 3 T butter or shortening and then add 3/4 cup brith to make the dough. Roll out to 1/4" thick on a floured surface. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the dough into 1/2" with by 1 to 1.5" strips. Bring broth to a rolling boil and drop in the dumplins. Simmer 10 minutes and then add the reserved meat. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste (I found it needed salt, pepper and thyme).

Squirrel and dumplins: Squirrel is also referred to as "chicken of the tree," so if you are not fortunate to have some organic, free range, sustainable squirrels in your fridge, you will have to make do with store bought chicken.

You never fail to make me smile. I have a bottle of wine to share over some limb chickens.

You never fail to make me smile. I have a bottle of wine to share over some limb chickens.

Sounds like fun.

I made this dish tonight with squirrels that seemed to be feeding exclusively on black walnuts and it was really good. The Colorado season starts October 1 and I am really, really looking forward to it.

Back
Top Bottom