Escalator etiquette.

How to ride an escalator is probably a more complex topic than many of us think.

img_1342661_0_bde514d38261aee9f51fd2b2a1e6f879.jpg

My reply was to somebody who questioned why people have to stop on the moving walkway, as if that is not allowed.
I understand it is allowed, I just don't get the reasoning behind it since when trying to get from point A to point B my instinct is to continue walking at a normal pace when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise why not occasionally stop and stand in place even when there is no moving walkway? Resume walking later, you'll get there eventually.

If everyone stopped on the escalator (or moving walkway) the maximum flow rate of people would be constrained by the velocity of the escalator or moving walkway. When people walk or climb on the escalator or walkway, they achieve a velocity equal to their walking speed plus the speed of the escalator. The net effect is to reduce the flow constraints and the chances of a backlog. It is often assumed that people who wish to walk could so so in the stairway or corridor, but often the alternative route (shunt) does not exist.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, but I have worked with flow problems.

I'm pretty sure the 'stand your ground' laws in some states will come into play here sooner or later...

Lately I have been avoiding elevators and moving walkways and trying to move myself more :). I did think they were designed to assist those who have trouble climbing stairs and walking long distances more than to help us move faster, which most of us use them for now.

I stand to the right as a courtesy to those who want to move faster than me. Rarely do these people have a time constraint, they just have a pace that is quicker than mine. Many times these people have an aura of stress about them which makes me feel sorry for them.

I stand with my back to the door and stare at everyone. Try that all the way to the top of the Sear's Tower some time. It's a hoot.

Escalators [-]/[/-] elevators

When there are both conventional stairs and escalators available, common in Chicago, escalator-walkers should take the conventional stairs and sprint up or down. Minimum time standards should be posted and those failing to meet the requirements should be placed in a training program until they can.

Last edited:
I use the escalator every day at lunchtime (no stairs there). It isn't really wide enough for two people to comfortably pass, so everyone just stands their ground and it works great! In my opinion escalators are dangerous enough that people really shouldn't be trying to shove through at max speed anyway, unless they are made double-wide. Airport moving walkways are a different matter, though. They're made for walking.

My beef is with those who enter an elevator, press the button for their floor, and then press the "Door Close" button. Or the guy who presses the "Door Close" button as soon as someone gets off the elevator without looking to see if anyone else is getting on. Every few weeks I get smacked on the shoulders by closing elevator doors because of one of those "can't wait or be bothered to look if anyone else is coming" jerks.

Scrinch

The proper thing to do is to shove those people out of the elevator if they are not moving fast enough . ;)

I understand it is allowed, I just don't get the reasoning behind it since when trying to get from point A to point B my instinct is to continue walking at a normal pace when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise why not occasionally stop and stand in place even when there is no moving walkway? Resume walking later, you'll get there eventually.

Apparently you have never experienced knee, hip, or heart surgery. Live and learn.

Here in the DC area, the locals all know the drill: to the right if you want to stand, to the left if you're walking. Tourists in the Metro are obvious in many ways, especially when they exhibit their lack of escalator etiquette. Usually a polite but firm "excuse me" will take care of the problem.

Dang right! First thing I learned riding the Metro was, you had better stay the heck out of the way on the right if you aren't walking on the escalator. Denver was more laid back :cool:, and no one cared...you just walked around the standees.

Apparently you have never experienced knee, hip, or heart surgery. Live and learn.

Airport moving walkways in particular were a godsend for my parents and DW's parents and her brother, but I'm sure they would stand to one side for the more abled to walk by.

Last edited:

I clearly stated I was wondering about healthy people who stand instead of walking, so I'm not sure what your assumptions of my experience with various ailments has to do with anything:

I don't even understand why healthy people stop on them at all

Back
Top Bottom