Another Cataract Surgery Thread

Good to hear it's working out for you.

Do you think you'd have had as good results if you did MF in both eyes?

Is the image from the non MF eye blurred compared to the eye with the MF?

Did you have issues with dry eyes?

i believe the results would have been just as good with MF in both eyes. truthfully, except for the near vision being better in the MF eye, i hardly notice a difference between the two. i am glad that i had the MF in my dominant eye. i have no issues with dry eyes.

I'm going in for a third visit next week to discuss cataract surgery again. I am very uneasy about having it done and I am extremely sensitive to anything getting near my eyes. Problems do on occasion occur and I have not had the best of luck with the past 8 orthopedic surgeries.

But things are not as clear and driving at night is getting to be more of a concern. With so many decisions on lens choices I am tending towards a basic lens that gives me clear vision for mid and distance and then use glasses for reading. I get confused with all the different choices and their drawbacks. Just on the fence as what to do. Don't care for the idea of different focal distance in each eye. If anything was to go wrong I would want to still have some normal vision in one eye.

Cheers!

I'm going in for a third visit next week to discuss cataract surgery again. I am very uneasy about having it done and I am extremely sensitive to anything getting near my eyes. Problems do on occasion occur and I have not had the best of luck with the past 8 orthopedic surgeries.

But things are not as clear and driving at night is getting to be more of a concern. With so many decisions on lens choices I am tending towards a basic lens that gives me clear vision for mid and distance and then use glasses for reading. I get confused with all the different choices and their drawbacks. Just on the fence as what to do. Don't care for the idea of different focal distance in each eye. If anything was to go wrong I would want to still have some normal vision in one eye.
Seven years ago I had cataract surgery. I got the basic lens and use reading glasses, as you are thinking of doing. This has been terrific for me and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I was terrified of that surgery since my grandfather was 100% blind due to botched cataract surgery back in 1947. Surgical techniques have improved radically since that time. Anyway, eventually my vision got much worse and it became clear to me that it would never get any better without the surgery, so I had no choice. I went into it pretty fearfully.

The surgery was very quick, less than 5 minutes per eye, and painless. Much to my surprise I was very pleased with the outcome and I am so glad I had it done! :D Good luck and I hope the surgery works out well for you, too.

Just had cataract surgery on my left eye yesterday. I was awake and in no pain! The surgeon had 19 cataract surgeries yesterday. Busy and popular surgeon.

Anyway, I had an allergic reaction to the eye drops. A few trickled down my cheek and intense tingling would not go away. I took .25 mg of Benedryl and that worked. I know how important those drops are and continued using them, carefully. Not sure if it was the steroid or antibiotic that caused the reaction.

And wow, the bright colors! Still, lots of blurriness and I see my surgeon today. I'm getting a patch to cover that eye until my right eye is done. My right eye is stronger for distance and reading. The blurred one just creates chaos until it's healed.

What kind of lens implant did you get, mono or multifocal?

I only have implant on my right eye and it's okay for distance, allows me to drive if I have to without glasses, though I do have glasses with light Rx for the right eye and more correction for the left.

But when I wear glasses, I can't read close objects like cell phone screen.

Without glasses, sometimes I get crosseyed vision because right has correction for distance and the left doesn't. I've adjusted to it but it's irritating.

So I'm thinking of possibly replacing the monofocal implant on the right with a multifocal one.

So I'm thinking of possibly replacing the monofocal implant on the right with a multifocal one.
Be very careful - the PA for ophthalmologist told me that no reputable ophthalmologist will even attempt to replace an implant. It is not removable in the same manner as your original lens.

I would get a couple of opinions first.

Oh I haven't even consulted with anyone.

I didn't know that was the case.

Hmm.

Be very careful - the PA for ophthalmologist told me that no reputable ophthalmologist will even attempt to replace an implant. It is not removable in the same manner as your original lens.

I would get a couple of opinions first.

Removing and replacing an IOL with a different one is certainly possible; I
have a friend who had it done successfully (both eyes). But it is far from common, and not at all trivial. A person should think long and hard in the beginning about exactly what kind of lens they want. Your surgeon should certainly be able to provide good guidance, but it's necessary to actually listen to it.

I have 2 monofocal lenses, but I have monovision...originally with LASIK, and later with cataract surgery. My right (dominant) eye is set for distance, and my left eye is set for reading. While it works well for me, you need to talk to your doctor to see if it will work for you. There are ways to try it out for a few weeks before surgery.

I have 2 monofocal lenses, but I have monovision...originally with LASIK, and later with cataract surgery. My right (dominant) eye is set for distance, and my left eye is set for reading. While it works well for me, you need to talk to your doctor to see if it will work for you. There are ways to try it out for a few weeks before surgery.
Just had eyes tested and got new prescription. They were happy to give me contacts for distance in dominant eye and reading in non-dominant. Haven't had any issues wearing them. Nice to have no glasses when I'm wearing them. Should be a good candidate for same set up when and if I eventually get cataract surgery. Looking forward to the day!

Just had eyes tested and got new prescription. They were happy to give me contacts for distance in dominant eye and reading in non-dominant. Haven't had any issues wearing them.

My surgeon (the best in the region) told me that if you have had a good experience with contacts that way, you should have no problem if you want to do the same when you get cataract surgery.

My surgeon (the best in the region) told me that if you have had a good experience with contacts that way, you should have no problem if you want to do the same when you get cataract surgery.
Yes that was my understanding and why I thought I would give it a try. So far, so good.

I opted for monovision when I had cataract surgery 9 years ago. Loved it. I had the most wonderful 7 years without glasses.

It's been a bit over 2 months since my mono cataract surgery. Very pleased with my vision. But this clinic uses a combo drop (2/day) and I've had a withdrawal effect from the steroids. So I've had to continue the drops and taper off. A bit problematic but so far it's working well. Been off the drops for a couple weeks now. But I find my eyes are very sensitive to glare and bright sunlight even wearing dark sunglasses. But I'm in Colorado now surrounded by bright white snow and bright sunlight.
Anyone else have problems with glare? Not talking about nighttime but daytime bright sunlight?

At my second-to-last optometrist appointment he noticed that I had the beginnings of a cataract in one eye. Nothing to be alarmed about, just giving me an FYI. We discussed UV protection, etc.

But of course I can't stop thinking about it, just because it's one of those things that puts me (theoretically) into the *old* category.

But this thread has been very informative, and I now look forward to my future cybertronic implants that will give me the eyesight of a 20-year-old and connect in to my Neuralink implant... :blink: :dance: :LOL:

The eye docs have been telling me for 10 years I have the beginning of cataracts. This year they were a little more forceful in that I'm ready and that it's better not to wait to long. Hmm... well that's new! They also changed my contact prescription from 4.5 right eye to 4.0 and 5.5 left eye to 4.0. That seems like a pretty big change but it seems good, I can read lettering at 12 ft on the TV and can read my computer monitor and my phone. So my mind isn't ready and I'm not sure if my eyes really are either.

Last edited:
What kind of lens implant did you get, mono or multifocal?

I only have implant on my right eye and it's okay for distance, allows me to drive if I have to without glasses, though I do have glasses with light Rx for the right eye and more correction for the left.

But when I wear glasses, I can't read close objects like cell phone screen.

Without glasses, sometimes I get crosseyed vision because right has correction for distance and the left doesn't. I've adjusted to it but it's irritating.

Monofocal. I hadn't considered one eye nearsighted and the other far-sighted. Right now, the left (which was really bad) is almost clear, a bit foggy. Never thought that was possible. My surgery for the right eye is Feb. 21. As the left eye gets more clear, I wonder if I should even have the right eye done. I can read as well as see distance now. Not completely there yet, but doc said my left will continue to improve.

Question after surgery: How long do you feel the grainy sensation after surgery? As I stated above, Feb. 21 was my 2nd cataract surgery. That eye, the right, does not feel right, as though a contact has been in my eye too long. Still grainy and pressured. Optomolegist ordered another round of prednisone. But I'm reading too much prednisone is not good either.

I had both eyes done a month apart about 9 months ago. I was not happy to have it done but it was getting to not really having a choice anymore if I wanted decent vision and to be able to drive at night. The surgeon was great and now my vision is so much better. That graininess was evident for a couple of months but got progressively better so that now it is no longer an issue. I only used eyedrops (Refresh) on a few occasions.

Cheers!

I haven't had an eye exam in years.

I don't know if it was fatigue but I notice more some softer vision at night.

Not as bad in bright sunlight. So I've been checking eye exam prices.

Wow they're crazy, the lowest one is $70 at Walmart but often they're much more, like over $200.

And those aren't even with ophthalmologists, just regular optometrists.

Oh well may have to do it anyways. My current glasses, including Rx sunglasses that I paid a lot for, are fine and it would cost a lot to replace them with new prescription again.

More of a BTD post, I guess.

Wow they're crazy, the lowest one is $70 at Walmart but often they're much more, like over $200.

Oh well may have to do it anyways. My current glasses, including Rx sunglasses that I paid a lot for, are fine and it would cost a lot to replace them with new prescription again.

Are you on Medicare? Medicare pays for most of my eye appointment. In addition to getting your vision checked you need to be checked for other things like glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, etc. You really should be having annual eye exams.

A regular optometrist can diagnose many eye conditions. He/she is just limited in treating many of them. That's when you get a referral.

For a few hundred dollars at most, you will risk your vision? If you have eye pressure issues you may not notice it for years as your peripheral vision slowly fades away. Then there all all sorts of fun things with your retina as you age like macular puckering, and tiny tairs as the vitreous fluid pulls away from your retina. Most are treatable and will cause you no life changing problems if caught early. My advice is find another way to save a few hundred dollars. Get the exam. If you pass with flying colors, be glad you aren't among those who need special treatments or even eye surgery.

You can get new glasses mail-order for a fraction of the price most optometrist offices charge. Costco is also significantly cheaper. What you can't get cheaply is new eyes.

Are you on Medicare? Medicare pays for most of my eye appointment. In addition to getting your vision checked you need to be checked for other things like glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration, etc. You really should be having annual eye exams.

A regular optometrist can diagnose many eye conditions. He/she is just limited in treating many of them. That's when you get a referral.

For a few hundred dollars at most, you will risk your vision? If you have eye pressure issues you may not notice it for years as your peripheral vision slowly fades away. Then there all all sorts of fun things with your retina as you age like macular puckering, and tiny tairs as the vitreous fluid pulls away from your retina. Most are treatable and will cause you no life changing problems if caught early. My advice is find another way to save a few hundred dollars. Get the exam. If you pass with flying colors, be glad you aren't among those who need special treatments or even eye surgery.

You can get new glasses mail-order for a fraction of the price most optometrist offices charge. Costco is also significantly cheaper. What you can't get cheaply is new eyes.

Well according to my Bronze plan insurer, I do have some kind of vision coverage, including exams and glasses.

So I found a list of in-network optometrists so I will check them out and see what happens.

I didn't think the ACA plans were required to have vision coverage.

It supposedly also has dental coverage as well and I've been paying for a separate dental plan.

Question after surgery: How long do you feel the grainy sensation after surgery? As I stated above, Feb. 21 was my 2nd cataract surgery. That eye, the right, does not feel right, as though a contact has been in my eye too long. Still grainy and pressured. Optomolegist ordered another round of prednisone. But I'm reading too much prednisone is not good either.
Rianne, I never felt grainy after cataract surgery. So it's been 6 weeks since your surgery, and it doesn't feel right? That's a long time. Do you have any other issues predating the surgery? Like Lasik, or dry eye, or allergy problems?

For my eye surgeries, all had Ofloxacin drops as antibiotic. 1st cataract had Durezol as steroidal drops, very $$$. 2nd cataract surgery 2 weeks later, I said no Durezol, give me Prednisolone Acetate drops instead. They were next on the list of steroids, and were generic! I had seen online that they were a common steroidal eye drops used after eye surgery. They worked fine for me. Please note the spelling of Prednisolone, it is different than what you spelled, making me wonder if you were getting something else, or the spelling was a mistake.

My last surgery, for a very large fast-growing eyeball cyst (yes, operation was pretty eww, and I had to be fully awake to hold my pupil in a far to a side position, with zero movement), used the Ofloxacin and Prednisolone Acetate eye drops again, no problems.
I bring this last one up because of something the surgical assistant told me in preparation for the surgery. I mentioned that I did not want Durezol due to the $$$, that Prednisolone Acetate worked fine for me before. She said they don't prescribe that much Durezol anymore due to the price. But she DID say that I was lucky that P.A. worked well for me, that for some people, it doesn't, and they get Durezol instead. I would have asked what issue those patients had with P.A., but it was time for a cluster of eyeball deadening shots for me.

A new "experience" after the surgery :eek:. After it was all done, and my eye was patched over, I felt so relieved! Then, as DW walked me across the lobby to leave, I started to shake a bit. Outside walking to the car, I started to shake a lot, all over. It was colder and windy, but that wasn't it. Had difficulty getting into the car. Shaking uncontrollably, couldn't buckle the seatbelt myself. Realized I'm probably going into shock. Never had this before. Had DW start engine and heater to high, that car heats very fast. The shake was lessening the hotter it got, and more time. I think DW was sweating profusely by halfway home, when I could turn down the heat some. Was OK after that.

Telly, that sounds like a reaction somewhat similar to what I had after weeks of PA (I spelled it wrong). Mine was less dramatic, but I felt agitated, irritable, and a bit shaky. The drops were dripping into my throat, I could taste it, probably going into my bloodstream. There's a trick by holding the part of your nose right next to the eye after inserting the drop to prevent that.

Steroid drops can cause strange reactions in some people, especially after weeks of use. Articles keep saying don't use long-term. I don't know what long-term is. My right eye still feels like there's a contact in there. Not painful, just annoying. Left eye feel normal.

Back
Top Bottom