Ethnicity Poll

What is your majority ethnicity?

• White/European

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Black/of African Descent

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Hispanic (formerly Latin American)

• Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai/Indonesian/etc.)

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Arab/Kurd/Persian

• of the Subcontinent (Indian/Pakistani)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Pacific Islander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texan

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other (if you must!)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
Martha

1/4 Lappi(Finn) - my mother's mother side. And actually I've never been to Minnesota - my ancient ancestors - upper Michigan.

heh heh heh heh

Heheh.. my guesses were wrong. I'd assumed for a while you were Jewish, and I had Andre1969 pegged as the black guy (life imitates south park imitating life: even here, there's apparently a "token"). I guess I should probably ignore people's names, with my track record at guessing based on that! (I discovered I was wrong on Andre when he mentioned watching Blazing Saddles with a black friend, who found it funnier than he did.)

I was trying to find average net worth, net income, and other stats for black people in America a while ago and I didn't have any luck -- do you have any handy references?

Yeah not even close ;) Never considered myself a symbol (token) of black America.
With a name like Arif, I don't have to be too creative with screen names.

Here's an old article but the trends are pretty much the same:
http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/ib212

Just to clarify I didn't mean that you are or should be any kind of "respresentative" of anyone but yourself!

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.. 8)

cube_rat said:
splitting hairs:  I think Phillipinos identify themselves as Pacific Islanders
Those are two completely different things, at least in Hawaii.

Even the Pacific Islanders have their own discussions about Marshallese, Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, ...

My grandparents immigrated from Spain, along with their 6 children in 1917.

My father was a "Red-Neck" Logger.

So I am one half Spanish, and one half "Red-Neck". ;)

I personally think bull-fighting is o.k., but believe it should done with a chain-saw. :D

Good one Jarhead!

How THAT I would buy a ticket to go see.

heh heh heh

I can see it now:

Matador Jarhead turns to his mozo de espada, "Bubba", and says "Hold my beer and watch this." Buddinnn... Buddinnn.... Brrrrrraaaaaaaa!!!! :eek: :D

Hmmm

Also the family tree has a reasonible number of black sheep - from that evil land mentioned in PACE Picante ad's - the little country of Brooklyn in - you know - "NEW YORK CITY!"

Up until Katrina - I had a Brookyln Dodgers T shirt inherited from my Father.

Like all good Finn's - the black sheep are never mentioned.

heh heh heh heh

Jarhead* said:
My grandparents immigrated from Spain, along with their 6 children in 1917.

My father was a "Red-Neck" Logger.

So I am one half Spanish, and one half "Red-Neck". ;)

I personally think bull-fighting is o.k., but believe it should done with a chain-saw. :D

There's a wheat bread joke in here, I just know it....

Laurence - Thanks for the poll!

I used to think I was European - (Scot - 50%, Swede - 25%, Canadian(English, Irish, Port) -25%)
Do I say I'm Canadian-Portuguese, Portuguese or just Canadian ( since they settled there in early 1800's) :confused:

My cousin just reported to me that she did the Oprah DNA test and found that she isn't the 100% European she thought she was - 94%, the rest 3% Native American & 3% Asian. I assume this test is accurate, which leaves me wondering what I really am.

cube_rat said:
There's a wheat bread joke in here, I just know it....

Cubester: (You hot blooded Hispanic), there's no Wheat Bread Joke re: my family history.

However, since you mentioned it, I will make an observation.

I am the oldest of 8 children.

When we were married, we had two children in short order. A visit to Dr. "V" took care of that!

The properties in "Wheat Bread" was discovered by my ancestors, a long, long, time ago. :LOL:

Would be 100% Native American if some sorry Scottish dude had not hid in the wood pile.  :D

Descend from Chief Jacob Hagler last chief of the Cahaba Indians.

Scottish dude arrived in 1636 and settled in Sussex Co. VA, before that in 1554 in Berwick-upon-Tweed.

I don't do these things anymore, ethnicity or heritage. American roots for almost 400 years. Wouldn't surprise me if the roots here are deeper than they were in the prior places.

kate
North American

Kate,
You outrank me be a decade. First ancestor got here in 1620- Jamestown. He got 50 acres on the James River for every person he conned brought to America. Made a bunch of trips back and forth and was on the first census. 'Course news from that branch of the family got real quiet around 1776 -- they were all running for their lives from the patriots! Ended up as a bunch of poor farmers in west Georgia for the next couple hundred years. I guess payback will always get ya.

I am a strange mixture of  Irish, Scot and Chezk.  My husband says I'm cheap like a Scot, temper of an Irishman and well...the rest I won't comment on.

We found out about 10 years ago that my great great grandmother was a wealthy girl sent here to go to school from Chezkoslovakia, her sweetheart was in the Chezk Navy and deserted to come here to be with her.  My cousin told me all this once the last aunt had died, it was suppose to be a family secret until they were all gone.  Someday I'll have the time to do the research.

My husband is Slovak--Czechs rank on Slovaks. Poles rank on Slovaks. All Europeans rank on Slovaks, which is probably why there are more people of Slovak descent in the US/Canada than in Slovakia.

I'm a zillionth part Mohawk, so the kids are Slovak/Mohawk. An excellent combination. The rest doesn't matter.

DanTien said:
My cousin just reported to me that she did the Oprah DNA test and found that she isn't the 100% European she thought she was - 94%, the rest 3% Native American & 3% Asian. I assume this test is accurate, which leaves me wondering what I really am.

What is the Oprah DNA test? I am not familiar with it. I bet a lot of people would be surprised when they get the results.

dusk_to_dawn said:
What is the Oprah DNA test? I am not familiar with it. I bet a lot of people would be surprised when they get the results.
dusk - I call it the Oprah DNA because she and some other celebrities were on a PBS series back in Feb about discovering your roots through dna testing.
This test is used to trace specific markers in everyone’s DNA and matches them with known ethnic groups all over the world and can give an idea of what part of the world your ancestors came from. This goes beyond any conventional genealogy research known today and goes back thousands of years. The show revealed some surprises to the guests that they would have never known if it weren’t for the DNA test.

This a link to where my cousin did her test
www.ancestrybydna.com

OldAgePensioner said:
Would be 100% Native American if some sorry Scottish dude had not hid in the wood pile. :D

Descend from Chief Jacob Hagler last chief of the Cahaba Indians.

Scottish dude arrived in 1636 and settled in Sussex Co. VA, before that in 1554 in Berwick-upon-Tweed.
OAP - Chief Jacob Hagler :confused: Cahaba - is that a Germanic tribe ;)
Well anyway are you The Last Of The Cahabas?

Nords,

I don't want to know where I have been, I want to know where I am going. (Is this the difference between Europeans and Americans? It has to be one, at least.)

Ed

Nords said:
At $199 & up, clearly this answers the question "What are we saving it for?"
:confused: Its not clear to me what you mean.

Back
Top Bottom