Ethnicity Poll

What is your majority ethnicity?

• White/European

Votes: 91 82.7%
  • Black/of African Descent

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Hispanic (formerly Latin American)

• Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Thai/Indonesian/etc.)

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Arab/Kurd/Persian

• of the Subcontinent (Indian/Pakistani)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Pacific Islander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texan

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other (if you must!)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
I just read an article talking about the income/wealth/opportunity disparity between whites and others in North America, and I wanted to know what this board consisted of. Considering the politically incorrect comments that occasionally grace this board and the lack of flaming they recieve, I suspect we are 90% white, but wanted to check. There must be some people of different color that have the ER dream out there!

Is latin american the same as mexican?  It should be Hispanic. Latin American sounds like someone who is actually from Latin America versus ethnic descent. ie, I was born in North America from Italian and Mexican descent. 

cube_rat said:
Is latin american the same as mexican? It should be Hispanic. Latin American sounds like someone who is actually from Latin America versus ethnic descent. ie, I was born in North America from Italian and Mexican descent.

Didn't you say you were from El Paso? There is an option for that already! :)

splitting hairs: I think Phillipinos identify themselves as Pacific Islanders

sorry lol

REWahoo! said:
Didn't you say you were from El Paso?  There is an option for that already! :)

No, mom is from El Paso.  Her parents were from Juarez.  Same thing.

Was it you, REW, that added that "whole other country":confused:

CR, removed that distiction, hope the one asian vote wasn't from there.

This ought to be interesting. Thanks for the poll.

Am I only the person of mexican/hispanic descent here?? :confused:

I'm a wasp but my ER wife is Chinese. I voted anglo in the poll, though, since posting here isn't her thing.

Wow, this poll result looks like we ran it at the Kansas State Republican convention! :p

Laurence said:
Wow, this poll result looks like we ran it at the Kansas State Republican convention! :p

Yeah, definitely doesn't look like it was run at the Kansas State Prison. :D

Reminds me of the Burt Reynolds movie, The Longest Yard. He asks if anyone has played football, and this 6-4, 290 pound black guy steps forward and says, "I played some at Oklahoma State." Burt says, "Oklahoma State University?" The guy says, "No, Oklahoma State Prison."

I'm white, but I will be more vigilent with the flames in the future! :D

DH and I just did the National Geographic DNA heritage study. My results aren't ready yet, but DH's came in and it says basically that every non-african person is from one group that left Africa via the middle east. (They call him Eurasian Adam) It is an interesting study.

Well I guess I am the only black guy (I mean african decent) here. If you want to look at truely troubling stats look up the average net worth of black people in America. Not a comforting image at all. My family must be in the top .0000001% of the black population in terms of net worth.

shiny said:
I'm white, but I will be more vigilent with the flames in the future! :D

DH and I just did the National Geographic DNA heritage study. My results aren't ready yet, but DH's came in and it says basically that every non-african person is from one group that left Africa via the middle east. (They call him Eurasian Adam) It is an interesting study. DH's "clan" is from Poland via the Balkans.

Apparently, we're all descendants of eastern Africa. Very interesting stuff, indeed!!

Hmmm

I understand Laplander's now have lawyers and are called Sami people. I used to get mileage out of 'Norwegian Eskimo'.

Although - Minnesota refugee was popular in the PacNW.

heh heh heh heh - modern science and DNA takes all the fun out of it.

unclemick said:
Hmmm

I understand Laplander's now have lawyers and are called Sami people. I used to get mileage out of 'Norwegian Eskimo'.

Although - Minnesota refugee was popular in the PacNW.

heh heh heh heh - modern science and DNA takes all the fun out of it.

Sameland or Lappi?

I am .5 Sami too, the Norwegian version.

cube_rat said:
splitting hairs:  I think Phillipinos identify themselves as Pacific Islanders

cube,
I'm Filipino (but got US citizenship) and I put myself down as Asian.  I've never used Pacific Islander to classify myself.  

I don't know if the confusion stems from the fact that the Philippines was/were known as "the Philippine Islands" or "P.I." before it became an official independent nation.

It has been "the Republic of the Philippines" or "R.P." for a while now, maybe since 1946.

White - Eastern Bloc to be specific

Arif
If you want to look at truely troubling stats look up the average net worth of black people in America. Not a comforting image at all.

You are absolutely right.

Arif said:
Well I guess I am the only black guy (I mean african decent) here. If you want to look at truely troubling stats look up the average net worth of black people in America. Not a comforting image at all. My family must be in the top .0000001% of the black population in terms of net worth.

Heheh.. my guesses were wrong. I'd assumed for a while you were Jewish, and I had Andre1969 pegged as the black guy (life imitates south park imitating life: even here, there's apparently a "token"). I guess I should probably ignore people's names, with my track record at guessing based on that! (I discovered I was wrong on Andre when he mentioned watching Blazing Saddles with a black friend, who found it funnier than he did.)

I was trying to find average net worth, net income, and other stats for black people in America a while ago and I didn't have any luck -- do you have any handy references?

Back
Top Bottom