Even Congress is laughing.................

C

Cut-Throat

bush_white_supremacy.jpg

mickeyd said:
I wonder how many folks will be outraged at Mr. Rangel's racest comments. Don't look for the NYT to feature any articles or opinions about it.

It was not a racist comment. Far from it. He did not say that whites were inferior. He said that 'white supremacy was a myth'. IOW - white's were not superior race.

If you believe otherwise, then you would be the racist.

It was not a racist comment. Far from it. He did not say that whites were inferior. He said that 'white supremacy was a myth'. IOW - white's were not superior race.

If you believe otherwise, then you would be the racist.

No, it is racist. What it does is cast White People as racists by referring to an old stereotype of White People held by non-whites, of Whites fancying themselves as superior based soley on race.

It'll slide because it's comes off with a funny little twist in that Archie Bunker/Fred Sanford kind o' way we've gotten sued to over the years

But it is racist. Altho individual exceptions only prove the rule and reinforce the stereotype. The old saw about one exception and the stereotype has been disproved is simply incorrect by logic.

Consumer Reports says wild salmon tastes better and has a firmer texture than farm raised, and that farm raised has too high a concentration of pcb's and dioxins.

razztazz said:
No, it is racist. What it does is cast White People as racists by referring to an old stereotype of White People held by non-whites, of Whites fancying themselves as superior based soley on race.

It'll slide because it's comes off with a funny little twist in that Archie Bunker/Fred Sanford kind o' way we've gotten sued to over the years

But it is racist. Altho individual exceptions only prove the rule and reinforce the stereotype. The old saw about one exception and the stereotype has been disproved is simply incorrect by logic.

That and the fact that whites were not held in slavery for the first 80 years or so of this country's history.
And that groups like the Aryan Nation have proclaimed 'White Supremacy' for decades. Hardly a case that this Congressman is mentioning it 'out of the blue'.

You stand corrected!

That and the fact that whites were not held in slavery for the first 80 years or so of this country's history.
And that groups like the Aryan Nation have proclaimed 'White Supremacy' for decades. Hardly a case that this Congressman is mentioning it 'out of the blue'.

You stand corrected!

You didnt read one word of what I said. And certain people wonder why I leave for long periods of time/
WHat you said is totally irreeveny to the question of racists remarks Rangle's in particular. It's like invading Mexico or Iraq as a reaction to 9/11. WHy did you saiy when it was mindless? I will not waste time expecting an "Answer".

Also.. Blacks still practice slavery. They also have their version of KKK and Aryan Nation.

Whne I'm wrong someone can correct me. YOU dont have the goods or the reading ability

razztazz said:
You didnt read one word of what I said. And certain people wonder why I leave for long periods of time/
WHat you said is totally irreeveny to the question of racists remarks Rangle's in particular. It's like invading Mexico or Iraq as a reaction to 9/11. WHy did you saiy when it was mindless? I will not waste time expecting an "Answer".

Also.. Blacks still practice slavery. They also have their version of KKK and Aryan Nation.

Whne I'm wrong someone can correct me. YOU dont have the goods or the reading ability

I'll save this quote so you can read it tomorrow. ::)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Consumer Reports says wild salmon tastes better and has a firmer texture than farm raised, and that farm raised has too high a concentration of pcb's and dioxins.

That's exactly my take. Farm-fed salmon have been assuming right along that they were automatically superior, and all CU is saying is that wild salmon finally have some tangible evidence that the gig is up.

One of my best friends in college was a wild salmon. Spent years thanklessly swimming up-stream year after year. No help from his parents. Finally spawned 47,384 kids one fateful night. He died shortly thereafter (lox).

He'd be proud to know that finally someone recognizes his kind as the firm, toxin-free, big, tasty oily fish that they are.

P.S. For the record: ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Rangel is a Democrat. Bush is a Republican.

Duh.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - all is fair in love and politics or something like that - besides we don't seem to get much beyond sound bites nowadays.

Finally spawned 47,384 kids one fateful night. He died shortly thereafter (lox).

I thought it just made you go blind.

I wonder how loud Congress and Cut-Throat would be laughing if George Bush had said the same thing about Charles Rangel? :LOL:

Mr. President, what do you think of Charles Rangel?

Well, I really think he shatters the myth of black supremacy once and for all.

Somehow I don't think Congress and Cut-Throat would find that response all that funny. Double standard?

dusk_to_dawn said:
I wonder how loud Congress and Cut-Throat would be laughing if George Bush had said the same thing about Charles Rangel? :LOL:

Mr. President, what do you think of Charles Rangel?

Well, I really think he shatters the myth of black supremacy once and for all.

Somehow I don't think Congress and Cut-Throat would find that response all that funny. Double standard?

No because Rangel isn't as stupid as Bush is.

Also, if blacks held whites in slavery in this country for 80 years or so, and blacks discriminated against whites, it would be a legitimate statement. You don't seem to grasp the blacks struggle for civil rights. Do you? :crazy:

I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race. Regardless of what race each person is.

Racism is like sexual harrrassment, in that there are varying degrees of it, and it means different things to different people. For instance, if a boss told his secretary that she looked pretty, or that was a nice sweater, that could actually be taken as harrassment! But it's still a far cry from a boss saying "Nice tits", or other leud remarks, or coming on to her, or flat out telling her that if she doesn't start taking dick-tation that she'll lose her job.

As far as this remark about George Bush, hell, I thought it was funny! My co-worker is a Bush-hugger and easily offended, and I'd be soooo tempted to show it to her! It would piss her off quite nicely. But then she doesn't get humor. She doesn't get a lot of things in life. She doesn't understand why homeless people beg and panhandle because "there's government assistance for those people". She also doesn't understand why the deer don't just stay in the woods and farms, and off the roads where they get run over. She also doesn't understand why one black person can call another the N-word, but a white person shouldn't. And my favorite is that she doesn't understand why other drivers feel the need to "show her the finger" as they pass her. I've seen her driving though, so I DO understand. ::)

So in short, she would think it's racist. Very racist. But I guess it takes all types to make the world go around. Now if Mr. Rangel made a comment about Dubya being proof that all white people are stupid, or that all white people should be exterminated. Or rounded up and sent back to Europe. And if he said it in a serious tone, as opposed to something you might hear on Dave Chappel's show, then I'd take offense. But as it stands, I thought it was funny!

Andre1969 said:
I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race.  Regardless of what race each person is.

I agree.

Andre1969 said:
I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race.  Regardless of what race each person is.

So it is racist for any individual to criticize for any reason, valid or not, someone of a different race? How far down does this racial/ethnic classification go in this context? Can a Polish white person criticize an Italian white person? Can a Northern Italian criticize a Southern Italian? Can a man from Pisa criticize a person from Florence (Tuscan neighbors, and boy do they look down on each other!)? What are the rules?!

Cut-Throat said:
No because Rangel isn't as stupid as Bush is.

Also, if blacks held whites in slavery in this country for 80 years or so, and blacks discriminated against whites, it would be a legitimate statement. You don't seem to grasp the blacks struggle for civil rights. Do you? :crazy:

I don't think personal attacks like Rangel's statements are ever legitimate statements, unless you are at a roast. I do grasp the struggle. I don't grasp the personal attacks.

So it is racist for any individual to criticize for any reason, valid or not, someone of a different race? How far down does this racial/ethnic classification go in this context? Can a Polish white person criticize an Italian white person? Can a Northern Italian criticize a Southern Italian? Can a man from Pisa criticize a person from Florence (Tuscan neighbors, and boy do they look down on each other!)? What are the rules?!

I never said you couldn't criticize someone of a different race. That's done all the time. However, when you start bringing race into it, that's a different story. For instance, if Mr. Rangel just said that Dubya was a dumbass, that's not racist. Saying he's a typical dumbass cracker would be.

And if a Polish white person went and called an Italian white person a stupid wop, dago, or whatever, yeah, I'd consider it racist. Or, if there's such a word, at least ethnicist? To hate an individual for whatever reason isn't racist, but to hate them, or make disparaging remarks about them simply because of their ethnicity would be racism. Or if that's too harsh of a word, at least discrimination. But in the end, aren't we all a part of the same race? The human race? Okay now, let's all join together, sing Kumbaya, and then go hug a tree.

But in the end, I think context is everything. Sometimes things are said to be funny. Sometimes things are said to hurt. Or sometimes, as in the case of Mr. Rangel, they're simply said because they fit! :p

Andre1969 said:
I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race. Regardless of what race each person is.
Let's get real here folks. People make disparaging remarks about each other all the time. It is only racist if the negativity is attributed to race. Rangel's quote was funny because it was personal, not generic. Bush is regularly portrayed as dumb. Rangel just used tongue-in-cheek faulty logic to extend Bush's perceived dumbness to the broader class of whites to "disprove" a racist myth of white superiority. It doesn't say whites are dumb - it just uses Bush to "demonstrate" that they are not smarter than others.

Admit it, the joke is funny and not inappropriate.

I thought the joke was very funny. He's still a racist though.

(FYI, I can't be racist - my wife is ain't white and my great aunt is black).

Back
Top Bottom