ACP Subsidy Going Away Soon

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
I'm surprised it lasted this long but the government is finally winding down the program.
Frontier already e-mailed me a required warning notice and also stated that efforts are ongoing in Congress to get more funding before they run out of money currently estimated to happen in April. I'm guessing they'll find more money to extend this through the election, it's a bad time to have 22 million families mad about losing their $30 monthly discount.

More details at this link.

https://www.fcc.gov/sites/default/files/ACP_Wind-down_Fact_Sheet_Final.pdf

Last edited:
It is funny because there is currently a new commercial called "Nada Yada Yada" which is about $20 internet (the fine fine print says with the ACP subsidy).

IIRC most library cards are free. Folks not otherwise "connected" can go to a library and get internet for free. YMMV

Well, guess I'll have to go grovelling for my job back now.... No notice from my carrier yet. At least I got a few $ back from the $$$,$$$ I've paid in over my working career.

Doubtful that the carriers will be generous and offer a discount but possibly a new customer discount to keep you from leaving? I'm finally with a carrier that I'm happy with for the first time in my life. Technical and customer service has been great so I'll pay full-freight with a smile.

ETA: Letter came yesterday.... just saw the envelope.

Last edited:
I was gettting FIOS 300/300 fiber for $0.

"Funding for the ACP is expected to run out in a few months, which means the program will end unless Congress approves additional funding. If the program ends, you will no longer receive the ACP monthly discount of up to $30 on your internet service. However, Verizon will still provide a discount of up to $20 a month with the Verizon Forward program, which helps provide affordable access to high quality internet service. As long as you remain a Verizon customer, there’s no action for you to take to receive the Verizon Forward discount, even if the ACP ends. "

Yeah, my cable company upped their rates a year or so ago, and when I protested they eventually let me in on the ACP program, which coincidentally saved me exactly the amount of the rate increase. I had to really push them before they disclosed this option though.

This time, I'm done with them. I'm hoping 5G has expanded to my address by the time the program ends, but if not, I'll go to Starlink or something. No way am I paying what they're asking. The cable company is a monopoly in our town, and they're milking it for everything they can get, while they still can. Yes, I know Starlink costs even more, but the cable company pricing is closing that gap. Besides, it's not about the money any more, it's the principle. I am desperate to find a way to stop doing business with those crooks.

With the ACP discount I'm paying $15 (I think) so when it ends I should be paying $45 with Frontier for Fios 500. That's not a huge price to pay for the amount of usage I put on the service and without it I'd be lost. It was down for almost a week once, no TV, no computers, no Google Voice Home phone. All I had was my cellphone as a wireless access point and I was miserable at the disruption to my life.

I persuaded a friend on Verizon to order their $25/month Home Internet for me to use as backup to my normal broadband connection.

It was only 4G (~75 MBps down) until recently at my location.

Now with 5G finally turned on it is ~250 MBps down, so it has become my main internet connection.

Anyone else read this as ACA? :D

I did too. Good click bait title.

My first thought was "What kind of subsidy does the gummint give on ammunition?" ACP ammunition (like .45ACP) means "Colt Automatic Pistol."

Somehow I just knew it wasn't that, but it came to mind quicker than anything else I could think of in the financial realm. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom