Experiences with Square Trade or Asurion, LLC Protection Plans?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Santa is going to get me an expensive, shiny new camera soon from Amazon.

Usually, when comes to insurance, I'm a believer in do not get any unless the alternative brings a financial hardship. Yet, at the same time, today I'm a lot more of a butterfingers than in the past. Put in another way, I wouldn't trust my hands recovering a football during an onside kick.

I see that Amazon offers accident protection plans from SquareTrade and Asurion, LLC. I've heard of SquareTrade before but not of Asurion, LLC. Was wondering if any here could share experiences (good, bad or indifferent) with either.

I've seen some youtube videos on SquareTrade. Many of them are about a minute long and look a bit like a canned testimonial. One, however, was from a Vlogger who got his camera dropped by accident and he Vlogged his very positive experience with SquareTrade. Didn't find any youtube mentions about Asurion, LLC.

Last edited:
I know Asurion, at one time they were a part of Megacorp and I knew their(then) CIO very well.

Fine company who honors the contract. Is it worth it? Only you know. I'll add it's a very high margin business. Probably shouldn't care if it makes sense to you.

Last edited:
Worked well for us.Three years ago, bought a Samsung TV which had a defective screen, Square Trade agreed it was covered under the warranty, We ended up getting a new Vizio from them (which was equal in price that we paid for the Sammy).

Soon after the vizio crapped out on us and we got another Vizio thru Square Trade. All the above happened within the 3 year warranty which I think cost us $69.

Funny thing - we hardly ever buy extended warranties but here it paid off big time.

Very easy to deal with.

Last edited:
I put Square Trade insurance on a couple electronics that I liked but had questionable durability, like my SanDisk mp3 player. Collected on one of them, with no issues.

I've bought them religiously in the past.

Even though a couple paid off, I wouldn't do so today.

Check the list of terms and conditions on your credit card. Many cards provide insurance on items charged with them--but few claims are made.

Thanks for the replies.

Glad to see some positive experiences with the accident protection option :).

Here's the youtube video I referred to on my original post:

The person in the video has the same camera I'm looking to get.

DD2 and DGF both had Square Deal claims and both were very happy with the results.
I don't buy extended warranties as my toys are low end.

Very rarely buy extended warranties but some years ago had one for DS's mobile phone from Asurion. He was very hard on them back then. Tried to use the warranty and it was not a pleasant or satisfactory experience. Never bought one again outside of AppleCare for iPhones.

Back
Top Bottom