Exploding Head Syndrome

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anybody have this?

From Wikipedia:
Exploding head syndrome (EHS) is a form of hypnagogic auditory hallucination and is a rare and relatively undocumented parasomnia event in which the subject experiences a loud bang in their head similar to a bomb exploding, a gun going off, a clash of cymbals, ringing, an earthquake, or any other form of loud, indecipherable noise that seems to originate from inside the head.
This noise usually happens at the onset of sleep or within an hour or two of falling asleep, but is not necessarily the result of a dream.

I've had this, but for me, it's usually a beep, musical tone, or chord. Once it consisted of two very clear notes (V-I as in a G followed by a C above that). A few nights ago it was a loud knock as if a croquet ball were smashed down on a table.

I realize that I've probably had this on and off for years, but always figured it was someone's electronic device outside my window. But the other night I had earplugs in, so I know it had to originate in my brain.

It isn't frequent, but it's a real bother because it happens just as I'm falling asleep, and it wakes me up just as if it were an alarm clock.

The Wikipedia article says that it's rare, but other articles say it's common.

Anyone else have this?

Have plenty of experience hearing real explosions.

Can't say ever had explosive sounds generated within my head, do get near exploding head syndrome when I read weird stuff. Current example

"But John Schindler (whose strange foray into Wikileaks/Snowden conspiracy theories we've covered here previously), former NSA officer and holder of a PhD in history (just ask him!) has gone far beyond any of these misperceptions. According to him, things he actually said are defamatory if published by a third party. "
Quoted from TechDirt. Bold Italics added by me.

Anybody have this?

From Wikipedia:
Exploding head syndrome (EHS) is a form of hypnagogic auditory hallucination and is a rare and relatively undocumented parasomnia event in which the subject experiences a loud bang in their head similar to a bomb exploding, a gun going off, a clash of cymbals, ringing, an earthquake, or any other form of loud, indecipherable noise that seems to originate from inside the head.
This noise usually happens at the onset of sleep or within an hour or two of falling asleep, but is not necessarily the result of a dream.

I've had this, but for me, it's usually a beep, musical tone, or chord. Once it consisted of two very clear notes (V-I as in a G followed by a C above that). A few nights ago it was a loud knock as if a croquet ball were smashed down on a table.

I realize that I've probably had this on and off for years, but always figured it was someone's electronic device outside my window. But the other night I had earplugs in, so I know it had to originate in my brain.

It isn't frequent, but it's a real bother because it happens just as I'm falling asleep, and it wakes me up just as if it were an alarm clock.

The Wikipedia article says that it's rare, but other articles say it's common.

Anyone else have this?

I have it occasionally. It just happened again the other night. It makes my whole body jerk. Like the article said, it happens as I am falling asleep. I figured it was normal and everybody had that :cool:

DD thought she had this earlier this week, woke up in a heart pounding sweat thinking someone was climbing over her bed to get her. She had just experienced her first earthquake since moving to California a year ago.

I get this every once in a while. And yes, I have the body jerk that goes with it.

The first few lines from our theme song from 'They Might Be Giants" -

"You're On Fire"

Hi, I forgot your name
Whatever
My point is
Hi, your head's on fire

Oh damn, you must've got one of them
Combustible heads
I read an article all about them

You're on fire
You're on fire
I won't lie
You're on fire

Combustible head (I won't lie)
Combustible head

Yes, it happens to me. It's rather unsettling and my body jerks.

It's somewhat comforting to know it happens to other people as well.

Oh, so that's what it is! :LOL:

Since you are asleep when this happens (according to the wiki article) how do you know there wasn't a loud noise outside like a car backfiring or slamming door? Or your spouse can't sleep and decides to count a jar of change he's been saving and drops it on the floor.

I have had it before. Almost always associated with just starting to drift off to sleep but on nights when I am not really sleepy (woke up late that day, took an afternoon nap etc) and I can't quite go over the cliff into dreamland.

How terrifying!

I am so glad I don't have this syndrome. I think it would drive me to drink (and I'm a teetotaler).

Al, I can sure see why it bothers you. I have no idea of what you can do about it but you have my sympathy.

Hmm. I don't have the auditory sensation but do have the waking with a jerk syndrome. Suspect that is something different and have assumed it was my mind disconnecting from conscious body awareness and translating the experience as falling.

Hmm. I don't have the auditory sensation but do have the waking with a jerk syndrome. Suspect that is something different and have assumed it was my mind disconnecting from conscious body awareness and translating the experience as falling.

I get hypnic jerks, I can't identify with the other isssue, that would be startling to say the least. Is it like this?

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing him or her to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled,[1] often accompanied by a falling sensation.[2] A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.[3]

From Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk
MRG

I've had the jerking, starting sensation many times as I was drifting off to sleep, but I guess I've always awakened and caught myself before my head hit the table to make the "bang" sound. Is the sound usually followed by a bruise on the forehead the next day? ;)

I get hypnic jerks, I can't identify with the other isssue, that would be startling to say the least. Is it like this?

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch or night start, is an involuntary twitch which occurs just as a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing him or her to awaken suddenly for a moment. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled,[1] often accompanied by a falling sensation.[2] A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules.[3]

From Wikipedia:

Hypnic jerk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MRG
Yeah here, too.

A Hypnic jerk caused a very painful bite to my tounge. I saw my dentist about a month later. She stongly suggested I should have come in. Said they would have stiched it. It took months to heal.
MRG

I read about it a few years back, and then I seemed to experience it! But in a very minor way, like a little 'snap'. But it was probably suggestion.

I've had this, but for me, it's usually a beep, musical tone, or chord. Once it consisted of two very clear notes (V-I as in a G followed by a C above that).

That sounds like tinnitus. I would very occasionally (a few times a year) get a clear 'test tone' (pure sine-wave) type sound in my head. It might last a few seconds to maybe ten seconds or so. It never got any worse.

But a few years ago I developed more of a 'white noise' type of tinnitus. Never seems to go away, though I tend to be able to ignore it (there was a thread on it a while back). The first couple weeks, I kept searching around the house to find the fan that was running, was it the fridge, or a water leak somewhere? Pretty much have gotten used to it, and am able to ignore it, but it's there.

As you fall off to sleep, I think it's easy for power of suggestion to play all sorts of tricks. Try not to think to much about it (easy, huh! :) ) and it might go away.

-ERD50

DD thought she had this earlier this week, woke up in a heart pounding sweat thinking someone was climbing over her bed to get her. She had just experienced her first earthquake since moving to California a year ago.

Was it the 6.8 that was only 50 miles from us (March 9, 10:18 PM)? That was one of the biggest I've felt.

Was it the 6.8 that was only 50 miles from us (March 9, 10:18 PM)? That was one of the biggest I've felt.

I felt that one. It did not really shake, but I felt like I was on a boat rolling side to side.

I've felt that jerk when falling asleep once in a great long while. Come to think of it, that hasn't happened for a couple of years now.

Someone really needs to start a band called the Hypnic Jerks!

I get those all the time, never knew there was a name for them...

I experience the hypnic jerk when falling asleep regularly. Never thought it was anything special. I react physically each time.

When I'm really tired I'll sometimes wake up thinking I heard my doorbell ring. It always startles me and I used to get up, go downstairs and check my door. I wouldn't be able to hear my actual doorbell from my bedroom so I don't bother checking any more (but it still gives me the creeps when I think I hear it).

Back
Top Bottom