Explosion at Boston Marathon.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very disturbing and tragic. Thank God more were not hurt or killed.

I'm not sure why that would be better

I failed to make my remark clear... I meant I hope it is not another act of Islamic Terrorism. That is what I meant by home-grown nutball.

True, it does NOT help those injured and the families of the dead, but it at least does not ADD another layer of trouble in an already difficult relationship between the US and various Middle East groups.

Google has a Person Finder for anyone who is looking for or has knowldege of someone at the Boston Marathon Google Person Finder: Boston Marathon Explosions

I find amazing how Google gets these things done so quickly. I tried it for the two friends I know were there and the app told me they were alive.

It is isn't so much that development speed which is impressive but how do they get approval to roll it out in 50,000 person company within hours.:confused:

True, it does NOT help those injured and the families of the dead, but it at least does not ADD another layer of trouble in an already difficult relationship between the US and various Middle East groups.
When the perpetrator is identified, then hopefully we'll have an accounting of sorts. I guess that might be seen as "another layer of trouble" for whatever individual/niche group is identified.
I guess I'd be least upset to learn the plot was sponsored from outside the US and had little support within our borders. To the degree the perpetrator, whatever his cause, had tacit or active help from those living among us, I think it should be more troublesome for all of us.
We'll probably know soon enough.

When the perpetrator is identified, then hopefully we'll have an accounting of sorts. I guess that might be seen as "another layer of trouble" for whatever individual/niche group is identified.
I guess I'd be least upset to learn the plot was sponsored from outside the US and had little support within our borders. To the degree the perpetrator, whatever his cause, had tacit or active help from those living among us, I think it should be more troublesome for all of us.
We'll probably know soon enough.

Interesting viewpoint. See, **I** would rather that it be homegrown than an attack from outside.

No one else is reporting that that I can find so far. All I found is that apparently the NY Post has a less than stellar journalistic reputation.

The NY Post is kissing cousin to the Weekly World News. They would print Elvis sightings if they thought it would increase circulaton.

It is isn't so much that development speed which is impressive but how do they get approval to roll it out in 50,000 person company within hours.:confused:

I'd guess that after several natural disasters and things like 9/11, Google might have already had systems in place for this type of rollout on short notice.

Nonetheless, I'm impressed.

I just did a bit of digging on their site: "Google engineers built Google Person Finder in response to the January 2010 Haiti earthquake in order to help those affected by the earthquake connect with their loved ones. In 2005, during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, multiple websites created missing person registries, so families and aid workers had to search in multiple places when looking for information. Google Person Finder addresses this problem by accepting data from other registries in a common format and searching over all the data. The common format is called PFIF, and it was established by volunteers of the Katrina People Finder Project. "

omni

Last edited:
I wonder if these being April 15th tax day was factor in the attack.

Between the market dropping 2%, the $5100 check I wrote to Uncle Sam, and my friend coming perilously close to losing his daughter at Boston, this has been a bad day.

Last edited:
Interesting viewpoint. See, **I** would rather that it be homegrown than an attack from outside.

I agree with samclem's POV. It seems it would be easier to stop attacks from the outside. An insider has an easier time of it, so it seems we would have more to fear from a group of homegrown terrorists.

-ERD50

I agree with samclem's POV. It seems it would be easier to stop attacks from the outside. An insider has an easier time of it, so it seems we would have more to fear from a group of homegrown terrorists.

-ERD50

Agree it is easier to stop outsiders, but that is exactly why, IMHO, it is worse. It is outsiders. Kind of like **I** can beat up on my little brother, but if anyone ELSE tries it, lookout. I would just rather it be domestic than foreigners. Plus, I suppose, if it is domestic, I look at it as a crime and if foreigners it is an attack. Just a difference.

For all the silly things that get posted on Facebook somebody there is some real important first hand reports.

My friend, his sister who lives in Boston, his wife and young daughter were by the dark building on the right when the explosions went off.

560243_10152714372235533_1040510610_n.jpg

This is latest and most terrifying status update.

This might seem strange to many who have been glued to the TV all day. But do you want to know what the worst part of the day was? Not the 1st bomb, not the realization when the second one went off and we all felt that the faces around us would be the last we would ever see...acceptance is surprisingly powerful and calming....it was not needing to run straight towards a ground-zero blast recently painted red because Jean needed me find her daughter or tell her for 100% certainty the broken bloody bodies did not share our DNA...it was the walk away from the bombs in pursuit of safety...self doubt run amock at every step with the stakes higher than any ever... "am i going the right way, or the wrong way...Is my insistence on walking down the middle of the street to avoid sidewalk bombs smart or foolish, is this guy with the suitcase my end or another poor soul seeking solace...if I make the wrong decision do I take my loved ones with me:confused: are the better off following me, holding my hands or am the bane of their existence:confused:" I will and possibly am over the devastation of the actual events...having to ignore the lady with her face nearly peeling off..not once but twice because I had something more important to attend to...the intense schade fruede at the family fallen at bomb 1 when I realized there were only 2.5 bodies (didn't realize it was a child until the news said so) and not mine, not my loved ones...not my Chelly Chel and Kath.......I can deal with reality when it kicks my ass...but those minutes of uncertainty holding loved ones fate in my hands when doing nothing is not an option and every option could be the kiss of death is something that will take many a days and maybe a life time to remedy...I ****ing hate bastards who did this to us!!!!!!!!!!!

clifp,

I am so sorry your friends experienced the horror of this terrible day, but glad to hear that they survived.

My sister lives in Cambridge, but has attended the marathon in the past as a spectator, and I had been trying to reach her for the past 8 hours - finally got an email from her a few minutes ago - she is on vacation this week and not in that area. It's amazing how one can actually hold one's breath for 8 hours. :(

We have heard back from most of the people we know who were running the race and they and their families are safe. Otherwise, we're in a bit of shock here in Boston. And here we were, biting our nails all day due to the bombings in Iraq, where our minister currently is on a witnessing mission. This morning he sends us a message of support. The world's turned upside down.

I can deal with reality when it kicks my ass...but those minutes of uncertainty holding loved ones fate in my hands when doing nothing is not an option and every option could be the kiss of death is something that will take many a days and maybe a life time to remedy...I ****ing hate bastards who did this to us!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad your friend is safe, clifp. The words posted were eloquent and reflect how I'd likely feel in a similar situation.

Very sad. Very powerful words by your friend clifp. Glad they are safe. Sad for the ones whose lives changed forever. :-(

Today's local birdcage liner sez the authorities are "Talking to [a] Saudi National".
Yes, according to independent CBS News reporting, the NY Post report was right: Police are talking to a person of interest who is a Saudi national. They have also searched an apartment and removed some things, reportedly part of the same line of investigation and linked to this person.

The circumstances under which he came to police attention seem very thin, and it's very possible this will come to nothing. But it's the only lead that has become public to date.

Later edit: The NYT is reporting that, as of Tuesday morning, police do not believe the Saudi man was responsible for the attack. More to follow . . .

Last edited:
We have heard back from most of the people we know who were running the race and they and their families are safe. Otherwise, we're in a bit of shock here in Boston. And here we were, biting our nails all day due to the bombings in Iraq, where our minister currently is on a witnessing mission. This morning he sends us a message of support. The world's turned upside down.

It is definitely worth remembering that on the day 3 people were killed in a two bombing in Boston, Iraq lost 55 people is multiple car bombing attacks.

Bombings are practically a daily occurrence in Afghanistan, and a couple a week happen in Pakistan, Syria, Iraq. While a couple of month happen in most other places in the Middle East and much of Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom