Join Early Retirement Today

Facebook - Scary
Old 07-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Facebook - Scary

I don't LIKE facebook and have never once registered with my real name or real email address. However, so many things you need to be a member of facebook to see that I created a "fake" account to be able to access stuff. I also opened up a "fake" email address that I have never used for anything else.

So, I get emails from facebook all the time telling me I might know this person or that person... and about 50% of the time, they are correct!! How the Blankity Blank do they know this? I have never once made a facebook post, never put a picture up, or done anything else on my facebook account but looked at other peoples stuff.

Do they log my IP address then somehow trace it back to me by somehow linking it to my "real" email address? and how would they do that since my "real" email address has never been shared with them!!

Remember, other than this FAKE account, with my DOGS NAME (who has been dead for years) I have never made a post with my real name, or real email address. I do not see any possible way they can link the fake account to the real me, yet somehow they do.

What really got me? I started buying Serendipity Beer recently, probably half a dozen times in the past month, using my "real me" Grocery Store membership card and "real me" AMEX, and now I am getting the Do you Know Serendipity beer emails..... coincidence? Possibly, but I don't think so. It's not like I am getting a "do you know budweiser" email, Serendipity Beer is not a very well known beer to say the least. REALLY REALLY REALLY scary if it is NOT a coincidence.

I just deleted my "fake" account, reset my IP address on my router and really don't think I will ever get back on facebook again. It is creepy scary that they track me like this.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Why is it scary?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have you searched for or purchased this beer online ? FB ( and others ) track by browser history/cookies not by IP address.

Facebook explains why it tracks you even when you’re logged out | News | Geek.com
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like this cartoon on the subject....well....kind of related....
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I get those all the time and I have a completely private facebook account that is only my name--no messages, no info, no photos, just saving my name. I "like" nobody, nobody "likes" me (guess I'll go eat worms....).

I am pretty sure FB has access to our email (we probably clicked on something giving that to them, or they're in cahoots with gmail or yahoo), because a lot of the people Facebook sends me emails about knowing are folks who have been CCs on emails that have been sent to me--I don't have them in my address book even. They are people who might have been in a class with me, or cc'd on a joke forward.

It doesn't bother me too much or I'd close down the FB account. I am sure no real person is reading our emails, it's just a bot picking up and matching addresses.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
Why is it scary?
I wrote out this long post then deleted it. If it doesn't scare people, then they wouldn't understand what my post meant.

Privacy is dead I am told, oh well, most people don't seem to mind but as for me I don't like it....
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

I believe they and others will track much more if you remain logged into Facebook while you are surfing the internet. Of course deleting the account should work even better. You should also delete any Facebook cookies in your browser. I don't know how they would get your real email address. But they would obviously know all the people you looked up on Facebook and possible friends they would have in common. Sure the temp email account wasn't just forwarded to your real address? Sounds like something you would have to set up.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am certain I never gave facebook permission to access my emails.

I understand fully that the government is going to have access to my stuff. I don't like it but I know it. But why should a private/public company be able to see my emails?

I use a VPN, change countries frequently, clear my history and cookies daily. I have my prepaid smartphone hooked up to a prepaid CC that can't be traced back to me. However, I suppose the fact that I check my emails on it, pretty much negates all that if companies can freely read my emails without my permission.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #9

I'm with you; I find it creepy. I created a Facebook account just to see what all the hype was, but quickly deleted everything on it--I have no use for it. I did keep the account. Every so often I've looked at others profiles on Facebook (for example, I was looking for some high school friends for a potential reunion) but then sometimes the same people come up on a "People you may know" list. So I'm careful now about even viewing anyone's profile because I think they are alerted to it if you do. For me all this is truly creepy. . .just short of scary, perhaps, but uncomfortable to a large degree.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I am certain I never gave facebook permission to access my emails....
Maybe not, but this is on the Facebook sign-up page:

"By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our Terms and that you have read our Data Use Policy, including our Cookie Use."

Here are the Terms: https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms
Here is the Date Use Policy: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy
Here is the Cookie Use: https://www.facebook.com/help/cookies

So chances are we gave FB permission to know more about us than our families do.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Administrator

Yes, I think that is a little unnerving as well.

I have already given up on internet privacy. I don't go to any websites that I wouldn't mind everyone in town knowing I frequent. And, I try not to say anything political, private, or controversial in e-mails.

It's a brave new world, and we cannot change the way things are or are becoming. We have two choices.

(1) We can be upset and stressed by it and bear the health consequences of additional stress, which can be a lot as we age. Or,

(2) We can simply adjust our expectations. This has been my choice.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I will go read the T&C now.... I bet it will take the rest of the day, LOL

I gave them FAKE email address which can in no way be traced to me but if the T&C's say that by agreeing to this that I have given them the right to read anything and everything on my computer at any time then I guess I did agree to it. Otherwise, they shouldn't be able to connect me with the "fake" me.

Tomorrow I will go buy another nexus 7 which I will now use to check my email and reply to emails, and that is all I will ever use it for. Hopefully that will ad another layer to the difficulty of them tracking me.

I feel like a criminal trying to hide stuff.... when all I want is some dag-gone privacy.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #13

They don't ( can't ) read your emails. They can use any browser to report stored email address. email addresses can be retrieved without to much effort from outlook and similar clients.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I understand fully that the government is going to have access to my stuff. I don't like it but I know it. But why should a private/public company be able to see my emails?
Dude... Where do you think the govt gets that access/info from?

It was clearly leaked that they get phone call data from the cell phone network providers. Where do you think they get the email & other internet data from?

Tyro
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I still want to know if me buying Serendipity beer with my grocery store card or my AMEX caused them to send me the "do you know them" email. It just seems quite unlikely that it is a coincidence.

I used ZOHO as my email address with facebook and I never used that email address for anything else. My real me email address is with Gmail.

I suppose that cleaning out my history and cookies every day is no enough and using a VPN and constantly changing locations and IP addresses must not have helped either.

Oh well, like someone said, I'll do what I can then look for something else stress over.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The people on Facebook are what's scary...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #17

Here's some more info on the how they do it...

How Facebook Tracks Your Web Activity - Business Insider

And it can come from the other direction. You used your discount card, they track what you bought, sold the info to a database that sorts all the various pieces then if they partner with FB, FB knows what you bought and uses the info.

There is no privacy on the internet, all info has to be tracked and stored otherwise it could not be sent anywhere.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I still want to know if me buying Serendipity beer with my grocery store card or my AMEX caused them to send me the "do you know them" email. It just seems quite unlikely that it is a coincidence. ....
Maybe it was just serendipitous.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who knows for sure.... but I think Google gets more info than FB.... but since they are not sending you emails telling you, that seems to be OK...

I wish we had a privacy law where they could not keep any data on us past 30 days.... (unless it was purchases at an online store).... IOW, all browser history they have has to be destroyed every 30 days... and the fine for not doing it would be big enough to cripple a company...

But that will never happen...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

The grocery store, or possibly AMEX must have sold my information, but HOW did they link up the real me buying that beer to the fake Facebook me? That is what I don't understand....