Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Or uttering the phrase "Why can't these dang feriners learn to speak Merican like evurbody else!?!?"?

Particularly when in the UK?

Presently to work: khakis and polo shirt or button up short sleeve shirt. Tie and maybe a suit jacket when attending formal hearings.

At home: shorts and any kind of shirt. Out and about - same. Or business casual-work attire if going to a decent restaurant or social event.

Formerly at law firms - suit most days and I have at least 6-8 long sleeve button up blue or white dress shirts and ties.
I first noticed the sneaker thing in Belgium. A group of us, on business, were walking around the town (Brussels) one evening and a colleague pointed it out.

I've noticed it less in England, but it is mostly wet or likely to be wet (just rained, about to rain, or is raining) so mostly folks wear shoes when out and about shopping or whatever.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Or uttering the phrase "Why can't these dang feriners learn to speak Merican like evurbody else!?!?"?

Particularly when in the UK?
This reminds me of this saying:

If you speak three languages, you're trilingual;
if you speak two languages, you're bilingual;
if you speak only one language, you're American

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
infant....cloth diapers
grade school...dresses. Girls couldn't wear pants.
high school...very short dresses, mini skirts, body suits and hip hugger jeans
working daze...dresses, sweaters, slacks and the occasional power suit

present...wore tee shirt, shorts and sandals today...high was 78. Will wear sweats and socks on Saturday...high will be 40.
They changed the dress code after I graduated.

It's -20 and you have to walk a half mile to the bus stop? Too bad, pants aren't feminine.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
School daze: semi-dressy shirts, pants, leather shoes. They had a dress code back then. Same in college, although a bit more relaxed. Sneakers were okay. Some slobs wore jeans.

Jobs in high school/college were uniforms at two gas stations, back when they had people to pump the gas, check the tires, oil, and clean the windshield.

Uniform for a large department store chain that had it's own service department. I worked on heating an refrigeration stuff.

Police uniform for 18 years on the road, then formal suits for fraud and computer crime units. I had about one inch of unused belt space left under the suit jacket after hanging 20 lbs of junk on. 9mm semi-auto, 2 magazines, radio, pager, cell phone (yes both; it was government) handcuffs, collapsible baton, pepper spray.

Now: uniform for armed security for private contractor at a gummint facility. The belt weighs about 20 lbs, some complain of backaches from it. Weapon, 2 magazines w/15 rounds each, handcuffs, collapsible baton, pepper spray, flashlight.
Grappling hook?
(Star Wars)
Old 01-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Jeans / leather shoes / shirt or T-shirt / sweater / corduroy or fleece jacket. Pretty standard uniform for me these days, whether at home, at work or on the town. I don't have any special work clothes. I am a scientist and I wear the same lab coat day after day, so purchasing fashionable work clothes is futile (plus it would probably end up with an acid burn on it).

I can't really remember what I used to wear back in the days, nor do I care to.
Winter in Ohio: acrylic socks, cabin slippers, sweatpants, tshirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Winter in Ohio: acrylic socks, cabin slippers, sweatpants, tshirt, sweatshirt, fleece vest.
Fleece vests rule in the cold weather!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
They changed the dress code after I graduated.

It's -20 and you have to walk a half mile to the bus stop? Too bad, pants aren't feminine.
In the winter we could wear pants under our dresses in grade school anyway. Kind of silly, but dang it, that skirt had to be there.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
In the winter we could wear pants under our dresses in grade school anyway. Kind of silly, but dang it, that skirt had to be there.
I recall being labeled 'rebellious' for suggesting that wearing pants under skirts was kind of stupid.

(Wore a dress this year for the first time in 15 or so years)
Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Talk about a walk down memory lane... I wore saddle oxfords and knee socks with my dresses. I kept pulling the socks up as far as I could to keep warm. The constant stretching wore the elastic out. Mom put rubber bands around my legs so that I could keep my socks up.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #30

I love Alan's school uniform picture!

We lived casual here from the start.
School age: t-shirts, shorts, jeans in winter. no uniforms, never skirts.
Work: I could never work anywhere I had to blow dry my hair or wear makeup or pantyhose. Invariably I have worked where t-shirts, pants, regular shoes, boots or Tevas would work. Never skirts or dresses, though I do own a couple. I have a wonderful hippie skirt I hoop in sometimes at music festivals.

I admire those of you with important dress-up jobs. I could never sustain the dress code. I tried to wear lipstick when I started at my current job, and dry my hair. Lasted a month.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I remember participating in a sit-in in high school (around '71) to protest not being able to wear jeans to school. For some reason I've never understood, the school officials folded and we won. That's not the kind of example we needed to have set for us. Gave me ideas about authority, scarred me for life.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I remember participating in a sit-in in high school (around '71) to protest not being able to wear jeans to school. For some reason I've never understood, the school officials folded and we won. That's not the kind of example we needed to have set for us. Gave me ideas about authority, scarred me for life.
Wow, where was this? I never attended a school where boys at least couldn't wear jeans, though I never remember any girls wearing them either.

Ha
Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Mechanicsville VA, suburb of Richmond. There was a dress code, no jeans, button down shirt. Of course, it was less than a week after I started wearing jeans to school that I smoked pot for the first time. Now we know what the real gateway drug is.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We did the same thing around '71 and won. The dress code really went downhill from there on.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have fallen in love with the LL Bean fleece lined jeans for Michigan winters. They are so warm that they feel like they just came out of the dryer when you put them on. Similarly, a light fleece top with a hood is really comfortable. If you get caught outdoors without a hat, you can just flip up the hood.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have fallen in love with the LL Bean fleece lined jeans for Michigan winters. They are so warm that they feel like they just came out of the dryer when you put them on. Similarly, a light fleece top with a hood is really comfortable. If you get caught outdoors without a hat, you can just flip up the hood.
For some reason, I find the fleece lined ones itchy, but I do like the flannel lined.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Right now: tailored pants, cuddly Yukon sweatshirt and sneakers.

I have several dress codes at work: scrubs for ICU patient care, business for high level meetings, business casual for days at the office with academic or casual meetings.

I HATE pantyhose and avoid them like the plague.

I will be visiting Saudi Arabia in the near future and already have my abaya. It comes with a headscarf and is very, very black. Hijab not necessary, apparently, except by special request. Abaya is very comfortable and means no need to take suits: Hooray!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

So what are you going to wear under the Abaya?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For some reason, I find the fleece lined ones itchy, but I do like the flannel lined.
I've never worn them commando.....j/k
Old 01-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So what are you going to wear under the Abaya?
As little as possible.