Favorite sandwich?

Of course a lot depends on the restaurant, but: first choice is Italian Sub with everything, even mayo and oil and vinegar. Second would be a Reuben.

A gourmet grilled cheese (sourdough bread, butter, quality cheddar etc) with bacon. Or a great tuna melt. Simple but quality ingredients.

I grew up eating things like fried bologna sandwiches and velveeta grilled cheese on wonder bread. No nostalgia for them.

Pulled xxxxx BBQ. Doesn't matter if the meat is chicken or pork (or anything else) if the sauce is top-notch.

Grilled Veggie panini. I like to use zucchini, yellow squash, red onions and fresh mushrooms. Brush the sliced veggies with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grill a few minutes. Add some garlic lemon mayo and feta and panini it up and BAM! It's awesome. :)

There is a bar not far from me that every day cooks up beef roasts and ham, don't know what the cut of meat is. They slice the meat right at the bar and make your sandwich. My husband loves the roast beef sandwich and I get a half of their ham sandwich. We don't go often because neither of us are lunch people. At home I have a couple of favorites: Peanut butter and mayo on white bread or a fresh summer tomato and mayo on white or Grilled Swiss cheese (sometimes put a slice of tomato or baby spinach between the layers of cheese) on whole wheat and use mayo instead of butter on the outside of the bread when you cook it. The peanut butter is year round, the tomato is my summer favorite and the grilled cheese is a winter favorite.
Forgot the pear sandwich, thin slices of red pear on whole wheat or sourdough with poppy seed dressing on top.

I like tons of different sandwiches, so I can't say which is best. But here are my tips to improve any sandwich.

1. Heat it. Whether it's grilled, broiled, panini style, or just has hot fillings, I think a hot sandwich beats a cold sandwich 99% of the time. This includes grilled PB&J...mmmmm.
2. Layer correctly. The correct order from top to bottom is bread, spread, soft veggie, meat, cheese, crunchy veggie, other crunchy, spread, bread. Spreads (dressing, mayo, mustard, hummus, oil, butter, etc) keep the bread from getting soggy. You want the cheese and meat (if using) together so the cheese melts into the meat. Crunchy stuff on top just has a better mouthfeel. I use to work at a national sandwich chain and this order is based on numerous studies they did to figure out what people like best. YMMV.
3. Almost any sandwich is made better by coating the outside in a mix of butter, Parmesan, and garlic powder, then lightly frying. It provides amazing crunch and flavor. Different spices can be used for different flavor palates....curry, pepper, rosemary, etc.
4. Don't be afraid to turn the bread inside out. When I have a bread that prevents me from doing #3 effectively (like a crusty Italian loaf) I'll coat the inside in that mix, fry it, then use the inside as the outside of my sandwich.
5. Use different textures to make the sandwich more interesting. When I was little my favorite sandwich was white bread with the thinnest possible layer of mayo, roast beef, and provolone. Now, that sounds positively awful. It seems like it would be so limp and would kind of just melt in my mouth. I like to chew my sandwiches. Interestingly, when I was a kid the reason I liked it so much was because it would just melt in my mouth. It is really hard to chew because it sticks to the roof of your mouth...blech.

Last edited:
I love rare version steak on flour tortillas, salt and pepper maybe a little mayo. Yum.

We're fortunate to be able to buy high quality hickory smoked pulled pork shoulder meat in our grocery store. A couple of local barbecue restaurants also sell a sweet and sour mustard barbecue slaw that's incredible. And I buy designer barbecue sauces in the grocery stores anytime I travel close to Memphis.

I keep these items as a quick fix staple of my diet--can be eating in 3 minutes. And it's an incredible sandwich with 2' of meat.

Having grown up near Chicago, I would have to say the Italian Beef sandwich that seems to be native to the area would be my favorite or perhaps a prime rib French dip. A good club sandwich with sweet bacon and honey mustard dressing to dip it in isn't bad either. yum!

I love sandwiches, really in any variety! :)
My wife often gives me odd looks because I will try and make a sandwich out of anything (haven't managed soup yet, but a nice hot thick stew works great with buttered bread!).
Love making a sandwich out of leftover Italian dishes, especially spaghetti and meatballs and also lasagna!
Would pretty much eat any of the sandwiches mentioned above, and really also love some of the old school classics such as fish fingers with tartar sauce and sliced processed cheese on Wonder Bread! :)

Gotta second the fried shrimp poboy! But hold the mayo please.
And when I can find it fries covered with debris please.

This is going to sound odd but I've been eating the exact same sandwich almost every day since I was about 3 years old.

It's Peanut Butter and Honey.

Assembled as follows -

Spread thin layer of butter on 1 side of wheat bread and then a layer of Sue Bee Spun Honey (not the runny kind).

On the other piece of bread you put layer of Jif Creamy Peanut Butter.

Slap them together.

I have 2 of these for lunch every day when I am home (most every day since I worked from home my whole career). Guessing at least 15,000 of them in my lifetime. I love them that much :)

I love peanut butter and strawberry preserves, with a banana on the side. Bring two of these to work two days a week. I have tried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, but something isn't right about the texture.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Have you ever tried a Thanksgiving sandwich? Leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce between two slices of bread!

It is an after-Thanksgiving staple at our house. I can only eat half of one, though!

My wife often gives me odd looks because I will try and make a sandwich out of anything

I am still wondering what a XXXXX BBQ would be like :>:D:

Pulled xxxxx BBQ. Doesn't matter if the meat is chicken or pork (or anything else) if the sauce is top-notch.

Low and slow BBQ brisket on white bread. Just a touch of vinegary BBQ sauce. Pickles on the side. oh baby...

Grilled ham & swiss with spicy mustard, reuben, liverwurst

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Have you ever tried a Thanksgiving sandwich? Leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce between two slices of bread!

It is an after-Thanksgiving staple at our house. I can only eat half of one, though!

Yes, I highly recommend this. minus the stuffing which gives me heartburn. something about the cranberry sauce makes it a treat. My mom likes turkey, cranberry sauce, lettuce, and a layer of cream cheese. That is real good.

Back
Top Bottom