Favorite sandwich?

I would have to say the bacon cheeseburger. For the traditional sandwich, I am a big fan of Italian style. When Blimpie was still around (well, moreso than today), I LOVED the Blimpie's Best (bigger bite, of course!). Jersey Mike's has one that is similar.

Up until about a year ago, we had a family owned deli (crazy New Yorker too with the attitude to go with it!) that did a toasted Italian that was DELICIOUS!!! He also made a German Potato Salad that was fabulous. Unfortunately, his landlord was going to bump his rent more than 30%, so he closed up shop and it broke my heart. That man put his heart and soul into his business (and hadn't had a vacation in 13 years!) and he just couldn't deal with the costs anymore.

Others I love but do not eat often.... grilled cheese and bacon (or ham) or to pick up on another thread.... fried Spam...yum!

My favorite (if I'm eating out and not watching my weight) is a fried shrimp po'boy "dressed" (with lettuce, mayo, and plenty of sliced home grown Creole tomatoes), all on hot fresh French bread. Like this:

That po'boy sandwich picture got me drooling :).

Grilled cheese with either grape jelly or strawberry preserves on top. Haven't had one in years though.

When I lived in NYC, it was pastrami or corned beef from 2nd Ave Deli and 15 years ago a sandwich was $17.00, can't imagine the price now. Here in Lima it would be chicarrone (pork belly) with sweet potato, marinated onions and spearmint leaves on a hard roll or I could go down the block to Juicy Lucy for a what else (Juicy Lucy) made from prime angus beef, cheddar, swiss, bacon,pickles,onion rings and mayo.

Nothing beats a medium rare, 1/3+ lb, bacon cheese burger. Lettuce, tomato, lots of mayo. And a side of skin-on fries or onion rings.

Washed down with a real coca cola, and free refills.
Add a fried egg on the burger and I'm right there with you. [If you haven't tried it...]

Add a fried egg on the burger and I'm right there with you. [If you haven't tried it...]
That's something they used (and may still do) to do in Australia some 55+ years ago...not bad at all.

That's something they used (and may still do) to do in Australia some 55+ years ago...not bad at all.
Our favorite local gourmet burger place has them, called "The Aussie" - now I know why. Also a standard menu item at Red Robin known as the "Royal Red Robin" IIRC.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites:

Green Chile Cheeseburger
Peanut Butter and Banana
Chicken Salad
Roast Beef
Pork Tenderloin
BBQ
Ham and Cheese

And of course I love Shrimp Po'boys. If I'm traveling in the South or near the coast, I always order these if on the menu.

But I eat more burritos than sandwiches.

One that I like and is a little odd sounding is a peanut butter burger. Complete with chunky PB, bacon, onion add others toppings as you desire.

In the summertime, you can't beat a tomato sandwich made with thick slices of garden-ripe tomato, sprinkled with a little fresh basil, some cracked pepper, and some mayo on a couple slices of your favorite brand of white bread.

I don't eat sandwiches any more, but I break my locarb/nobread rule once every summer when the fresh tomatoes are coming out of the garden and I make myself a BLT. Nothing better.

I hate to be so boring, but practically the only bread I eat any more is my own homemade sourdough, and when I make a sandwich (seldom, but I love 'em), it will normally be some kind of meat that came off my BGE.

If I'm out at a restaurant, I generally stick with the best burger on offer.

I love good sandwiches, making them and eating them. Some really enjoyable moments with my children when they were young and we would make a project of going out to get the right ingredients, then put it all together for dinner. When we moved abroad I learned just how good freshly baked bread can be - what a difference. :)

Which sandwich is really a matter of personal taste, and I think it's lots of fun trying different things. Start with some good bread. Try a fresh baguette, for example. Add something moist and creamy to the inside - mayo, mustard, cream cheese, hummus. Even better, drizzle some olive oil. Add a couple layers of quality protein. Experimenting with different types of good cheese can make the turkey taste much better, or you can change to chicken breast, ham, smoked salmon, pastrami. If you have a Jewish deli nearby go see what they have. Add some thinly sliced tomato and onion, some grated lettuce. Salt and pepper. Then on the side a good dill pickle, some chips, a cold beer or iced tea. Heaven ... :)

Last edited:
1. Breakfast sausage pattie with fried egg and slice of pepper jack cheese on a toasted English muffin, buttered. Doesn't have to be for breakfast.

2. Oyster Po Boy, dressed, on fresh French bread.

OMG, page 3 and no one has mentioned my favorite, yet: Lox, cream cheese and tomato on a [preferably poppy seed] bagel.

I like it with capers & onions;

16785658069_0bd3a133a2_o.jpg

Can't pick just one, but Pastrami or Corned Beef on Rye,

Having both pastrami and corned beef is called a New Yorker, typically on marble rye like a Rueben but without the sauerkraut. This is one of my favorites if I go to a deli type place.

I also like the italian sliced meats. Some other favorites: turkey with avocado, BBQ pulled pork, green chile cheeseburger, BLT.

Trying to cut carbs and loving sandwiches does not go together very well :mad:

When tomatoes are in season, it's BLTs all the way, baby.

We also love whole wheat with cheddar cheese, salsa, and mayonnaise, with a lot of crunchy lettuce. Sounds odd, tastes amazing.

Another favorite is Belgian-style chicken curry. Basically mix curry powder with mayo to the strength you like it, then blend in shredded cooked chicken breast and diced onions. Pile on a sandwich roll with lots of lettuce (I like Romaine here).

And, because we're in California: Sourdough with mashed avocado, swiss cheese, and pickled red onion. Ooh, yeah!

#9 Club Supreme at Jersey Mike's - roast beef, turkey, bacon and swiss cheese

Shaved prime rib sandwich at Longhorn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom