Favorite sandwich?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I need to break out of the turkey-rut and experiment so I'm looking for ideas and wondered about the popularity of different types of sandwiches...

What is your favorite, go-to, choice for lunch... please feel free to pass along a choice that might not be listed... Vegans welcome too...

Since I needed a list of ideas, I found this list of sandwiches on Wikipedia..

Last edited:
If I had to choose just one sandwich, it'd likely be cheese, tomato, and onion.

Now, 'lunch'.....we eat a LOT of sauteed zucchini on tortillas smothered with hummus.....covered with grated parmesan.

Last edited:
My favourite sandwich would be something homemade with a combination of ingredients from my fridge. For example: homemade soda bread, pesto, crisp romaine lettuce leaf, sliced grilled steak, tomato on the vine, goat's cheese. In general, I prefer to avoid processed foods.

Last edited:
My favorite (if I'm eating out and not watching my weight) is a fried shrimp po'boy "dressed" (with lettuce, mayo, and plenty of sliced home grown Creole tomatoes), all on hot fresh French bread. Like this:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
There are a number of sandwiches that I have regularly: roast beef or ham or salami but my favorites are pastrami or prosciutto or sopressata... in all cases with cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce and onion on white.

I like tomato but not in a sandwich and turkey is ok but not my favorite.

So I guess my ultimate favorite would be prosciutto & munster on white with mayonnaise, lettuce and onion, accompanied by wavy chips and some sweet pickles and a diet Dr. Pepper (or Dr. Thunder).

When eating out a muffuletta is my favorite. At home I make a mean cheese steak using a good roast beef lunch meat, cheese, and sautéed onions and peppers on a crusty Rosemary olive oil bread.

The "Z-Man" is my favorite.
http://www.joeskc.com/pages/the-legend-of-the-z-man

Most days it's grilled chicken with mayo and lettuce, or tuna/salmon salad. I gave up deli meat a year ago and very glad to not eat that salt laden stuff.

Tomorrow I'm eating with some friends and I'll probably have a Bacon, egg, lettuce and tomato sandwich.

Last edited:
Hot pastrami with extra mustard on a bulki roll.

My favorite is prime rib on a hard roll but my most frequent is peanut butter and honey.

I love sandwiches, unfortunately, I can't play much in this thread since I have not eaten any bread in 13.5 months (low carb routine). :(

The closest thing to a sandwich I have had in the carb-out period is sliced turkey, cheese, lettuce and mustard all rolled into a 4 carb per piece round tortilla. And the tortilla is essentially a thin piece of cardboard. :LOL:

But if I was eating sandwiches again, my favorite would be a Ruben on Rye.

Last edited:
Can't pick just one, but Pastrami or Corned Beef on Rye, Muffaletta or pulled pork with BBQ would be the contenders for a treat. Like the OP, turkey, grilled cheese or tuna salad sandwich is what I have most often...

I also love sandwiches, but thanks to heart issues and weight control I won't eat bread anymore. My DW makes a great navy bean soup though!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Hot italian sausage, baked together with peppers, onion, tomatoes and garlic until the sausages re nice and brown and the the onions and peppers will melt in your mouth. Put the sausage into a quality bun, cover it with the onion-pepper mixture and enjoy.

Sandwiches, I LOVE sammies and have quite a rotation. I make the following on a regular basis;

Italian subs
Cubans
Grilled ham & cheese
Tuna salad
Egg salad
Fried bacon & egg
Turkey & bacon clubs
Corned beef or pastrami reubens

Wonderful, a whole meal in one easy piece - :)

lots of good ideas... will drop by store later and pick up a few to taste test... prusciutto, pastrami (both of which I've never tried.. to picky and stuck in the rut), some roast beef too. I haven't tried deli meats in years..

I need to look at some creative grilled cheese recipes too..

This is from the wiki list and looks interesting:
A hot dog bun containing a Chicago-style corn-roll tamale, topped with chili, called a 'mother-in-law)

12-grain bread with swiss cheese broiled to toasty perfection (brown) and topped with fried egg over easy and salsa.

Corn tortilla wrap with fried shrimp, cilantro, mayo, lettuce and salsa.

Publix grocery stores have great delis, my favorite of their sandwiches is a mojo pork number. With hot peppers and cheese. And hey, it is lunchtime! :)

I haven't eaten any sandwiches in years, and being diagnosed as a diabetic last year that isn't likely to change. But when I was into sandwiches more, my favorite was a hot open turkey sandwich with gravy with either mashed potatoes, potato pancake, or rice on the side. Yum.

Turkey & bacon triple decker club;

3066096033_142523334d_o.jpg

Cuban;

6943093112_3cc21f5179_o.jpg

Italian Sub;

12280659853_d3ff4a22d4_o.jpg

I just made myself hungry!

Nothing beats a medium rare, 1/3+ lb, bacon cheese burger. Lettuce, tomato, lots of mayo. And a side of skin-on fries or onion rings.

Washed down with a real coca cola, and free refills.

Bacon cheeseburger you say? Yup, good stuff!

21500055485_e043139eb6_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom