Favorite true customer dis-service stories...

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Some horror stories from another thread -- here's one that happened to me.

I had flown into Kansas City long ago, and rented a Hertz car for a meeting 20 miles from the airport. I was back at the airport within about 4 hours, and used the "express check-in" to return the car.

Weeks later, I see a charge for about $800 on my credit card from Hertz.

When I called, the "customer service" rep said the reason for the charge was I had taken the car out with 5,040 miles on the odometer, but it had 15,080 on it when I brought it back, so the 10,040 excess miles resulted in the high charge. (Obviously a data entry error...)

I asked what their records showed for the time in and out -- it was under 5 hours total. I asked if she thought I could have really driven over 10,000 miles in under 5 hours.

She said they had to go by what was on the record.

I reminded her that my company had an "unlimited miles" arrangement with Hertz, as asked what difference it made even if I did drive 10,000 miles in 5 hours.

She replied that when I returned the car, I had checked the box on the check-in form saying "no fuel added", so they had to add fuel for 10,040 miles, and that would have been about 600 gallons times $1.25/gallon...

BIG gas tank in those mid-sized Fords!

It took a call to the supervisor...

I didn't know Fords traveled at warp speed :LOL:

I've got more than a few stories about a now defunct department store chain .... let's start with this one.
   Bought a new washer from them, gets delivered, set up, no problem.  Throw in a load of clothes, come back an hour later and it's still agitating. The mechanism that advances the cycles is busted.
    Call the store, am told I have to call repair.  Call repair, tell them I need warranty work. Their answer: It'll be two weeks.  I argued, but nope, two weeks.
     Next day, DH and I go back to the store and tell the department manager we're returning the washer and tell her why. She gets the store manager, and we tell him the story. Both of these people are p****ed, though not at us.  Seems that instead of having regional repair offices that had some flexibility in scheduling,  corporate had decided to consolidate everything in Chicago. I was just one of many unhappy customers they'd been dealing with.
   Sorry, I told them, but I still need a working washer, so please give me back my $$ so I can go buy one elsewhere.  At this point, the store manager made a couple of calls.      The repair guy came out the next day.....  and oddly enough, that's been the only repair the washer's ever needed.

Back
Top Bottom