February, the most useless/boring month of the year

In college I visited a flame and her parents near Pease AFB in New Hampshire in late Jan 1981. The river through town was frozen over, and hundreds of folks, including myself and GF, were ice skating up and down the river. We also went skiing at Gunstock NH. It is one of my treasured memories before I met DW.

I left MN to head to Fl for the winter., It was -13 when I left. It makes you wonder how the North ever got populated.

I plan on heading back around 3/15 which seems like it is tomorrow.

Time flies when it is 60+ degrees at night and 85 during the day. I feel as though I just got here.

If I was still in MN, it would still feel like March was month's away, not weeks...

Just got back from 10 days in Africa. Breaks it up nicely. And there is the promise of spring. Days getting longer, sun warm on one's face and the crocuses are coming up! All good.

When w*rking, I was never bothered this much by winter, although many people around me complained of the blues. W*rk and life responsibilities occupied most of my time. Now in retirement, honestly, I tire even of my favorite indoor hobbies, in part because I have more than enough of them. I long for the summer outdoor season when we can get back to kayaking and biking.

I'm learning that I need to get away every year to some place warm and sunny even for a few weeks.

I could have written this myself, except I have found that a few weeks is not long enough to escape the long northern winters. We're gone for 2 1/2 months, and I could easily do another month. It will still basically be winter where we live, when we get home in mid-March.:(

Agree. February sux here.
Went to SC for January and am trying to stay home till March. Can't even get excited about hikes at the park. I'll get some more gym time in and try to burn off some of that fried chicken, fried fish, fried oysters, and hush puppies I brought home under my belt.
Not looking forward to Valentines Day this year either. [emoji19]

Mardi Gras is Tuesday, and as you all probably know, traffic and sanity both come to a nearly complete and total standstill in New Orleans during the week before Mardi Gras, due to numerous parades around town.

When we were working, our workplaces were closed of course on Mardi Gras day, but not on Lundi Gras or any other days. So, we used to take a couple of vacation days so that we could get out of town and escape the insanity.

Now that we are retired, we don't feel the need to do that any more. We really aren't in a big hurry to go anywhere or get anything done. Right now I can hear the sounds of energetic high school marching bands on the big parade route half a block from our homes, and it's kind of nice. :) Oh, to be young again. We could walk down there, but probably won't because it's 61 and drizzling a little bit.

February is a pretty good month.

Today was my birthday.

I've survived much longer on this planet then I ever believed possible. DW wanted to take me out for dinner but I'm very content staying in. I'm a lucky man. ✌

Our winterfest was last week. This is part of the second day: 20180204_083242.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom