Fence Staining

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
We just had a 2,000 ft treated wood fence installed. We want to stain it. What type of stain is best? How much stain did you require and what was the cost?Did you do it yourself or have someone else do it? What was the cost? Any regrets either way?

Do a search, because someone (Tboneal?) was asking about deck stains and I copied all the stuff out of consumer reports on what was best.

The short answer is that its a time consuming pain in the butt. I just did a few hundred feet and used a composition board I got from Lowes for $3.39 a board...not much more expensive than redwood and it looks great.

Very realistic and inexpensive for a composition board.

To be a little more helpful to your situation, you're going to want to let the wood 'dry' for a few months before applying a stain to it. The amount is going to be wildly different depending on the type of stain used, the woods dryness, and how you put it on. Its an easy DIY job...I'd get one of those $5-6 two quart pump sprayers in the garden section, lay out some paper or drop cloth and spray it on with that, and have someone walk along behind you with a roller and a brush to give it a little working in. It'll go pretty fast.

You'll probably have to do it every 4-6 years.

Some folks get by for 20 years without ever staining the fence, but IMO it looks crappy after a year or two.

I did a weathered cedar fence with an excellent product called Inwood. My son recently did his fairly green cedar fence with the same. I am not sure if it would be good for a treated fence.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom