Finding Cheap Magazine Subscriptions

Mo Money

Recycles dryer sheets
A few years ago, you used to be able to get magazines inexpensively on eBay. It seems that source has dried up. My New Yorker subscription is about to end, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to find deals on subscriptions. (The New Yorker wants 70 bucks for a one-year subscription -- their "best deal." Ugh.) :(

I just yesterday went searching for a cheap renewal for Kiplinger and all of the discount magazine sites I used to get it from no longer offer it. Must be a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I like to use my Delta airline miles for magazines. I'll never get enough of them to fly anywhere, so it's like free magazines.

Zinio software through some of the local public libraries has many popular magazines online for free with a library card. I have the software loaded on a lap top and I can access them online, but only a subset of Zinio's total collection. The New Yorker in on Zinio but from searching around it appears some public libraries seem to have it in their subscriptions and some do not.

If your local library does not carry Zinio or Zinio with The New Yorker, there are some public libraries with Zinio that allow non-residents to purchase cards for a fee, which might also allow you access to other online subscription services like ebooks, music and DVDs:

MobileRead Wiki - EBook Lending Libraries

Or the cost on Zinio for The New Yorker not through a library appears to be $59.99. There also appear to be many coupons and active Groupon offers in the Google search listing for Zinio that may provide some additional savings.

In California any state resident is welcome to obtain a library card from any city or county public library system, so as we travel around I am acquiring a collection of cards from various libraries with different online subscription services and a variety of different Zinio magazine choices.

Last edited:
As mentioned the Library is a good place to start. My library gives me access to Zinio and they have a decent selection of magazines that I can download for free to my PC or tablet. Last I looked my library offered about 250 different magazines through Zinio, many I never heard of before but some good selections including Consumer Reports, Golf Digest, The New Yorker, National Geographic, and a couple woodworking magazines that I like. The selection available is dependent on your library and the contract they have with Zinio.

Last edited:
I just recently discovered Next Issue. You can read any (or all) of 135 different magazines for a $9.99 per month (not per magazine), or 145 different ones (including The New Yorker) for $14.99 per month. The first 30 days is free, and you can cancel at any time. And it unlimited access to the magazines. You can read as many or as few as you want, as often or as seldom as you want. I've been using it for a little while now, and so far I really like it!

I like it especially because I don't have to dispose of piles of magazines after I've read them. I read about 9 or 10 different ones, and peruse through others that catch my eye. When I'm done, I can click to delete it or just keep it for a while in case I want to go back and re-read something. Also, since each one is downloaded on my iPad until I'm done with it, I can read them any time or any where without need for an internet connection. You can also use a PC instead of a tablet if you prefer.

I also subscribe to a couple others on Zinnio that aren't available with Next a Issue.

+2. I have one digital magazine subscription (that I won't renew), but I haven't had a hard copy magazine subscription in years, and never will again. I go the library once every week or two, and catch up on more magazines than I'd ever subscribe to. YMMV

Last edited:
I get more FREE magazines (and the WSJ) than I can count. One way is to participate in small online surveys such as E-miles, etc, and have the "reward" miles and dollars credited to one of your Frequent Flyer accounts (you can always create one just to bank the reward miles). Then you can redeem for free subscriptions. Some surveys allow you to use the accumulated "rewards" to directly redeem for subscriptions.

Heres an example that racks up free subscriptions really quick;
https://rewardsurvey.com/ (they carry the New Yorker)

I've been recieving the WSJ for over 5yrs now completely free. I also recieve about 6-8 magazines that once read I bring to a local used book/magazine storefront and recieve trade credit in return. I use that credit for free books and DVDs, haven't spent a dime there in nearly a decade. :)

YMMV but give it a try.

_B

I agree it's too bad the ebay and similar sources dried up. I must be too old habits, still get about 10-12 car/truck magazines per month, and now it seems the best deals are direct through publisher. My previous job had considerable travel and the magazines were my airplane time passing preference. I hate doing work on airplanes. Put in my earphones and music, and start reading the magazines.

The lowest budget options I see now are for electronic copies of the magazines.

Check Amazon also for magazine subscriptions as well as trading for airline miles you will never use.

Check Amazon also for magazine subscriptions as well as trading for airline miles you will never use.

I did use airline miles to buy/trade for a number of subscriptions some years ago but I found most of the magazines just filled up my mail box and collected dust around the house. Today, I think we still get two. The DW, still subscribes to the TV guide and I take the American Rifleman.

I get more FREE magazines (and the WSJ) than I can count. One way is to participate in small online surveys such as E-miles, etc, and have the "reward" miles and dollars credited to one of your Frequent Flyer accounts (you can always create one just to bank the reward miles). Then you can redeem for free subscriptions. Some surveys allow you to use the accumulated "rewards" to directly redeem for subscriptions.

Heres an example that racks up free subscriptions really quick;
https://rewardsurvey.com/ (they carry the New Yorker)

I've been recieving the WSJ for over 5yrs now completely free. I also recieve about 6-8 magazines that once read I bring to a local used book/magazine storefront and recieve trade credit in return. I use that credit for free books and DVDs, haven't spent a dime there in nearly a decade. :)

YMMV but give it a try.

_B

Great ideas - never thought to take the magazines to the used bookstore down the street.

I have done the airline mile thing in the past but lately they haven't had what I'm looking for. But had no idea Amazon did magazines, thanks - just checked and it's $3 less a year than the publisher.

Thanks for the link, but it's the same price as the publisher.

I just recently discovered Next Issue. You can read any (or all) of 135 different magazines for a $9.99 per month (not per magazine), or 145 different ones (including The New Yorker) for $14.99 per month. The first 30 days is free, and you can cancel at any time. And it unlimited access to the magazines. You can read as many or as few as you want, as often or as seldom as you want. I've been using it for a little while now, and so far I really like it!.

Never heard of this, sounds interesting! Thanks!

I did use airline miles to buy/trade for a number of subscriptions some years ago but I found most of the magazines just filled up my mail box and collected dust around the house.........
Look on the bright side, the airline miles would just expire anyway, but now you have fire starter.

+1 airline miles. I think United and American Airlines have good redemption values (although a limited selection). The Economist is usually dirt cheap at 3200 miles or so (maybe a $40-60 value when redeemed toward flights). Some mags go for 400-500 miles for a year subscription. It's a good way to keep your airline miles from expiring too (for those accounts that require activity every 12/18/24 months like United and American).

Back
Top Bottom