Microsoft 365 Subscription Help!

The original question was what's the value of a subscription vs a one-time download. 1) with an one-time download you'll need to upgrade at some point - you need to do the math on that one for a breakeven. 2) you won't get any updates to the software with a one-time download, but you get updates with a subscription. 3) while cloud storage isn't important for the OP it could be to someone else.- Rita

I bought the Microsoft Office for Mac license a few years ago & I'm pretty sure I get security updates, though for the upgraded version of Office, whenever it does out, I'll have to buy a new license. I bought the license directly from Microsoft so I paid more, but I like dealing with Microsoft directly in case I have issues or questions. (This happened once & they were very good.) I buy Office to use Word & Excel & don't use Outlook. I pay Apple 99 cents a month for cloud storage.

I thought we were supposed to be thrifty, I read every day how folks here throw their money away on paid software when good open-source software that is actually better than the paid stuff and do not collect and sell your data to 3rd parties, MS office is a prime example. Above are 2 reasons how you may save some of it.

This claim will need to have evidence to back it up.

The only help I can offer is why would one even consider office 365 when LibraOffice is free and overall is a better program ...... just sayin'. Oh, but I use Outlook you might say, then use Thunderbird instead. My only complaint with LibraOffice is that is does not include a mail program.

I thought we were supposed to be thrifty, I read every day how folks here throw their money away on paid software when good open-source software that is actually better than the paid stuff and do not collect and sell your data to 3rd parties, MS office is a prime example. Above are 2 reasons how you may save some of it.

I'm not so sure about the 'being a better program' or 'sharing data' comments.

The MS lookalikes (LibreOffice/OpenOffice) are excellent overall as long as all you need is a text editor, calculator app, and a way to do presentations - it's one-for-one. If you need a database, you can have it, but it may not have a reports module. If you like taking notes on the fly, and using them for lists, or even class material - nope - doesn't have an EverNote or OneNote.

My point is that there is more to a MS Office 365 subscription than there is with LibreOffice - you may not want that much MS in your tech solutions and that's a personal decision. But in no way are they exactly the same suite of products.

I paid $15 for a full version of 2021 at Joy Warp...

Have only used Excel so far but works just fine... a lifetime copy...

The website was legit when I bought the software.
There are many selling so keep looking and you may find a price that is even cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom