Five benefits of retiring early

I liked this benefit:

Prestige

While this may be the least important of all issues pertaining to retirement, being able to retire early can earn one the respect of his or her fellow workers, friends and family. Not many people are able to successfully do this in this world; the ones that can obviously know something that the rest of us do not. To retire early is to retire in style, assuming that it is properly planned for.
Kinda flies in the face of a lot of the discussion around here about hiding our status.

I would call it envy.

Here's Another Reason

Dilbert_120903.gif

I liked this benefit:
Prestige

While this may be the least important of all issues pertaining to retirement, being able to retire early can earn one the respect of his or her fellow workers, friends and family. Not many people are able to successfully do this in this world; the ones that can obviously know something that the rest of us do not. To retire early is to retire in style, assuming that it is properly planned for.
Kinda flies in the face of a lot of the discussion around here about hiding our status.

This is the overwhelming reaction we've received, particularly on our long travels. When asked "how long are you here for?", it is great to be able to say, "Oh, a month, 10 weeks, 6 months, or whatever". No more visiting a place and racing around seeing as much as one can during the skimpy vacation days of w*rking life.

Yesterday was a typical example. We were talking to a guide at an ironstone museum and old ironstone mine. He knew we'd walked 8 miles cross-country to get there and we were telling him how much we walked and how we loved the buses, being able to take one to more remote locations, walk a while and jump on another one to get back. "Those free bus passes are great, I know a lot of folks who have them.", he said. I replied, "We are only aged 56 and 55, no free bus passes for us, but you can get a day rover ticket for £5 which covers a large area". He was really impressed that we had retired so young to have all this time to explore the outdoors, and then we told him we actually lived in Texas and were here on a 6 month holiday! (we still haven't picked up USA accents after 25 years living there).

Last edited:
I liked this benefit:
Prestige

Most of my coworkers (that expressed anything) have been supportive and expressed envy.

There has been a couple of veiled (jealous) comments or.... in some cases disbelief (e.g., no way... that is just a cover story for something else).

In the end.... they will make of it what they will. I don't care what they think! :D :dance: :greetings10:

Um, wait, what was the title of the article again?
Yes I think that benefit definitely is a nonsequitor in the article.

I am always amazed at people who are writing books for a profit and claim to be retired. Or running blogs. Or consulting.

The article only came up with 5 benefits of retiring early. I think the list is near endless! :dance:

I am always amazed at people who are writing books for a profit and claim to be retired. Or running blogs. Or consulting.
If it makes money then it's a career, if it's non-profit then it's a hobby?

Hmmmm.

Anytime I feel like:

Skating
Kayaking
Working out
Doing nothing
Go for coffee

That is my five

Some others:
Do honeydoo jobs
Play
waste time on the web
Nap
Watch others w*rk

Uh, starting a new career is not even on the horizon...

If it makes money then it's a career, if it's non-profit then it's a hobby?
It depends on if that is the original intent, but, if it is, then yes it is a hobby. I have a friend in Victoria who writes as a hobby. He shows me the published works (academic) with great pride.

But if you ever start to make money surfing then we will definitely drum you out of here...:cool:

But if you ever start to make money surfing then we will definitely drum you out of here...:cool:
I must confess that I have been given a gift card in connection with surfing.

I spent it on more copies of "The Military Guide" to hand out to servicemembers.

Nor state or local taxes (where I reside) on pension, IRA's or SS income...

Back
Top Bottom