Food for Cold Weather

education

Recycles dryer sheets
I just read the thread on "Last Meals" and it got me to thinking about the change in seasons and the foods we crave. We talked about meals & great recipes before--so what is the Bill of Fare for the colder months?

Professor

Professor said:
We talked about meals & great recipes before--so what is the Bill of Fare for the colder months? 
Hot oatmeal on those cold sub-70 mornings (brrrrrr)...

Here in Arizona my 15 orange trees start producing ripe oranges in December. I'll have plenty of oranges all winter. :D

Crackers and peanut butter. Ramen noodles. Dry cereal. Canned soup that's been there for years. In other words, whatever's in the house 'cause it's too freakin' cold to go out and get something else!

Lentil soup with crusty toasted bread.

Ragu. (not the kind in a jar)

Pork ribs simmered in tomato/wine sauce.

Anything that sits on the stove simmering and helps heat up the place!

REWahoo! said:
A big bowl of spicy (and thermally) hot chili.  And as any true chili aficionado knows, real chili contains no beans!  ;)

No beans! Surely you jest.

JG

Hot oatmeal in the mornings or freshly baked muffins.

Beef stew and dumplings or chicken soup, creamed chicken over biscuts, those things just warm your innards.

I have to agree with the statement of "Anything that sits on the stove simmering and helps heat up the place! "

Even though this is south Texas, it gets mighty cold here (ok--it ain't in a league with Minnesota or Maine & blood does thin) and food seems to get heartier.

I'm looking more at pancakes or waffles. Breakfast tacos filled with sausage and scrambled eggs and potatoes, pasta dishes, and bowls of Texas Red (JG, I like mine with beans) or caldo (beef & vegetable soup). Colder temperatures mean hot tamales, too.

Professor

JG, since you are a carpetbagger and not a real Texan, I'm not surprised you dilute your chili with cheap filler. But Professor, I thought you were a native to the Lone Star State and wouldn't stand for such bastardization of culinary perfection.

Adding beans to chili is the moral equivalent of watering whiskey. :p

Get a rope...

From the northeast: Hot, homemade chicken noodle soup. Or any kind of soup!

CJ

Hot oatmeal containing walnuts, flax seed, blueberries, strawberries. Coffee is life's elixir, especially during winter. It's cold in Texas (for us, anyway) with temp in low 30's. Gawd, I hate cold weather. My FIL used to define cold weather as anything below 70 degrees. I would deride that remark. No longer.

Chips, hot salsa and cold bottle of Chardonnay 8)

Greg, I just remembered Hot and Sour soup. Healthly and tasty and warm. Please oh please?

REWahoo! said:
JG, since you are a carpetbagger and not a real Texan, I'm not surprised you dilute your chili with cheap filler.  But Professor, I thought you were a native to the Lone Star State and wouldn't stand for such bastardization of culinary perfection. 

Get a rope...

ReWahoo:  I also noticed that old JG also used
Y'All in his posts after he bought his condo in Texas. :D

In any case, glad to read your post about "Chili".
My wife has always used beans in her recipe. (I try to not be critical of the Chef, as they have access to long knives).

I know from experience that adding beans to "Chile" for a Texan is close to a felony. ;)

When I want a good bowl of "Chili", there's a place nearby that is owned by a semi-retired
young guy from El Paso.  He puts everything but the kitchen sink in his concoction, but beans, never!

Fact of the matter, I think I know what I'm going to eat for lunch today, after golf. ;)

For me, a huge hot bowl of mushroom barley lima bean with turkey legs soup eaten with freshly made challah rolls.

ex-Jarhead said:
When I want a good bowl of "Chili", there's a place nearby that is owned by a semi-retired
young guy from El Paso. He puts everything but the kitchen sink in his concoction, but beans, never!

;)

Give me vegetarian chili, one of my favorites from the soup place down the street. Many varieties of beans. :smitten:

Homemade chili (with beans) topped with chopped raw onions and grated cheese.
Maybe a corn muffins too. mmmm

Martha said:
Give me vegetarian chili, one of my favorites from the soup place down the street. Many varieties of beans. :smitten:

Martha, if you believe in "vegetarian chili", do you also believe in alien abduction?

Wait, don't answer that. I forgot for a moment who you've been cohabitating with for the past few years.. ;)

Black bean soup served over rice - from one of the early Moosewood cookbook
Potato soup and fresh baked bread

REWahoo! said:
JG, since you are a carpetbagger and not a real Texan, I'm not surprised you dilute your chili with cheap filler.  But Professor, I thought you were a native to the Lone Star State and wouldn't stand for such bastardization of culinary perfection. 

Get a rope...

Sorry REW--  I'm not a native Texan  But I'm fond of saying "I wasn't born here, but I came as soon as I could".  So I plead guilty to using hamburger meat, beans and even macaroni if this budget is tight.  I also plead guilty to water in my scotch and my Jack.  Will you ever forgive me? ::)

Professor

Back
Top Bottom