Join Early Retirement Today

Food Shopping
Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Food Shopping

Where do you shop for food?

Prompted by our visit yesterday to the expansion of our local HY-VEE SuperMarket. We shop at Aldi's... the nation's best food retailer, the HyVEE visit was an experience.
To put this in prospective, consider that the Wamart Neighborhood Markets... which approximates the size of the Food part of a Super Walmart... average about 42,000 sq. ft.
Our HyVee is 80,000 sq. ft. I assume that Whole Foods markets may be about this size, but never been there.
Awesome... Probably 3 miles of aisles ... Bring a lunch, except that there's an included full size restaurant... Plus... large liquor store. I asked about how many SKU's of different beers... 500... about 3000 wines.
The red meat counter is about 80 feet long.. I estimate some 500 to 600 steaks. The Pork counter is only about 30 feet, and chicken 40 feet. Specialty meats another 30 feet. Fish counter has 7 employees.
The Pharmacy is the size of a small Walgreens.
Gluten free is a separate section 3 aisles... Bulk foods a 75 ft aisle... Frozen pizza alone... a 75 ft aisle freezer... pizzas stacked on 5 shelves, about 12 deep. Thousands and thousands... Flower shop w/ 5 FT workers...
Vegetables... No kidding ... I think there had to be enough to feed all of Chicagoland...
Yesterday was "Fish Day"... a 1200sf tent outside in the parking lot... filled with everything from pollock to frog legs, to some kinds of fish I've never heard of... BTW... outside temp yesterday was 14 degrees, real feel -6.
Took about an hour and a half, and only saw about half the store. OMG!
Much too old for this stuff.
Back to Aldi's... nation's best food retailer. Psstt... I think DW likes to go to HY-Vee just to be knowledgeable when she talk to her card playing buddies.
We did buy something at HyVee... 2lbs of fresh asparagus @ $.99/lb. Full page color ad in the local paper. Asparagus $.99.

So, where do YOU shop? Costco? How does one buy for two persons at Costco? Whole Foods?
If you bought at a Safeway Store, you won't be able to do that anymore, 'cuz Albertsons just bought them for 12B.

Slow day... waiting for time change and the promised 32 degree temperature.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I do some shopping at Whole Foods whenever I buy meat. I also like their soups and they are the only store where I can find tomatoes in a glass jar versus a can. I use to buy my organic produce there until I found a HEB (Texas supermarket) which has great organic produce and is less expensive than WF. Aldi's is in the area, however, I haven't been yet. Costco is about 4 minutes from my house and I have a card...I need to put "visit Aldi's & Costco on my to do list" although buying food in bulk doesn't work for me.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Administrator

I shop at the nearest chain grocery store. It belongs to a big local chain whose stores carry some of our New Orleans foods and ingredients but otherwise are indistinguishable from nearly any chain grocery store in the country.

My grocery store is the most convenient store for me and not too expensive, although it is not as cheap as Walmart or Costco. I should care but I don't.

At least it is way cheaper than Whole Paycheck Whole Foods.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At least it is way cheaper than Whole Paycheck Whole Foods.
I was stunned that my WF has some loaves of bread running for nearly $10. Although this is a fancier sprout less, flour less, tasteless, variety. I think the regular loaves are maybe $4?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first choice is Aldi.

They have great bargains seasonal items of non-food stuff

Oh yeah...their groceries are value priced too.

Other places I've gone to are Super Walmarts and Meijer. I also like Hy-vee.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We're in the headquarters area of Kroger, the nation's largest grocer. They have pretty much saturated the area with stores of all sizes, but we are very happy with our local Kroger, and get 90% of our food there. A couple of specialty butcher shops and some purchases at Costco make up the other 10%.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Aldi has just started to build around here.... there is one that is near, but not close enough for us to go... also, I was told by one of my sisters you have to pay cash and bring your own bags...

SO, we go to HEB... much better than Kroger and our Safeway (which is Randall's).... we used to have an HEB Pantry, which is a small grocery like an Aldi, but they tore it down and put up a regular HEB... which is pretty big... but they do have some bigger... just do not know what they are called...
Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Megafoodstores are too overwhelming for me. I buy meat at an excellent local organic butcher shop (where they know my name and preferences) and sometimes I buy vegetables at the organic vegetable shop next door to it. My regular "big shop" is usually done at a medium sized supermarket chain where I know the layout and get a loyalty discount. Next door to that is a pharmacy chain where I often pop in to pick up one or two nonperishables such as toilet paper, or milk, if that's all I need. During the growing season I often buy fruit and vegetables direct from local farmers at their roadside stalls or at farmers' markets. They are not cheaper, but they are fresh and delicious and have a lower carbon footprint.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Aldi has just started to build around here.... there is one that is near, but not close enough for us to go... also, I was told by one of my sisters you have to pay cash and bring your own bags...

SO, we go to HEB... much better than Kroger and our Safeway (which is Randall's).... we used to have an HEB Pantry, which is a small grocery like an Aldi, but they tore it down and put up a regular HEB... which is pretty big... but they do have some bigger... just do not know what they are called...
The Aldi I go to, I can pay cash or debit card. The first time I went, I wasn't aware of the bring your own bags and pack your own groceries. I thought what the heck..no baggers are helping!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

We shop in various places, depending on what we're buying.
DH shops the sales and really has come to know his prices.

Safeway is our usual spot. We supplement with Smart and Final
for certain meat and produce sales, and sometimes farmer's markets
when we feel like braving the crowds. We shop Costco for nuts, staples,
and odds and ends, and Trader Joe's for yogurt and butter because DH likes those particular dairy items.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We shop for food mostly at a combination of Walmart and some local grocery chains. We don't have any particular allegiance. Also a couple nearby general/cinvenience stores.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

Do most at Harris Teeter. Not the cheapest, but always was impressed with selections and if you got the stuff on sale pretty reasonable. Do go to Fresh Market for a lot of meats, fish because it is marginally better.

I will say that I think I'm beginning to notice a decline in HT which I feared once Kroger purchased them. Pretty small things, like no price display on pallet load of stuff obviously on sale, little or no bread in the bakery section (plenty of brand names), and it seems fewer folks around. I'm sure prices won't go down.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #13

Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, and New Seasons are the stores I most frequently shop.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #14

Oops... forgot to add... during our visit to HyVee yesterday, they were constructing an inside the store Starbucks...
Expect they'll add a Hyundi dealer next.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Where do you shop for food?

Prompted by our visit yesterday to the expansion of our local HY-VEE SuperMarket. We shop at Aldi's... the nation's best food retailer, the HyVEE visit was an experience.
To put this in prospective, consider that the Wamart Neighborhood Markets... which approximates the size of the Food part of a Super Walmart... average about 42,000 sq. ft.
Our HyVee is 80,000 sq. ft. I assume that Whole Foods markets may be about this size, but never been there.
Awesome... Probably 3 miles of aisles ... Bring a lunch, except that there's an included full size restaurant... Plus... large liquor store. I asked about how many SKU's of different beers... 500... about 3000 wines.
The red meat counter is about 80 feet long.. I estimate some 500 to 600 steaks. The Pork counter is only about 30 feet, and chicken 40 feet. Specialty meats another 30 feet. Fish counter has 7 employees.
The Pharmacy is the size of a small Walgreens.
Gluten free is a separate section 3 aisles... Bulk foods a 75 ft aisle... Frozen pizza alone... a 75 ft aisle freezer... pizzas stacked on 5 shelves, about 12 deep. Thousands and thousands... Flower shop w/ 5 FT workers...
Vegetables... No kidding ... I think there had to be enough to feed all of Chicagoland...
Yesterday was "Fish Day"... a 1200sf tent outside in the parking lot... filled with everything from pollock to frog legs, to some kinds of fish I've never heard of... BTW... outside temp yesterday was 14 degrees, real feel -6.
Took about an hour and a half, and only saw about half the store. OMG!
Much too old for this stuff.
Back to Aldi's... nation's best food retailer. Psstt... I think DW likes to go to HY-Vee just to be knowledgeable when she talk to her card playing buddies.
We did buy something at HyVee... 2lbs of fresh asparagus @ $.99/lb. Full page color ad in the local paper. Asparagus $.99.

So, where do YOU shop? Costco? How does one buy for two persons at Costco? Whole Foods?
If you bought at a Safeway Store, you won't be able to do that anymore, 'cuz Albertsons just bought them for 12B.

Slow day... waiting for time change and the promised 32 degree temperature.

Primarily military commissary along with Publix and Winn Dixie.

Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in a small town, but have an excellent food coop, where I do most of my shopping-we get grass fed beef there from a local rancher. Seafood from our local fish monger mostly(family owned) Costco an hour away for certain staples, although it looks like they are going to build one in our town. Safeway sometimes. We grow alot of our veggies in season. The rest from our town farmers market. A pricier way to shop, but it's just us two, and we budget for it like anything else.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #17

HY Vee because it's the 1200 lb gorilla of supermarkets in my town, also it's the closest regular supermarket to my house. There is a Walmarts, Target, and Aldi's a bit closer but they have their limitations. The Target is not a "Super Target". It looks like it's a retrofitted regular target with food in one corner. The Super Targets across the river in Omaha are SUUUPER! I used to shop at the one across the street from my house.

Here only Hy VEE sells Antibiotic-Free meat. I can't eat "normal" meat due to a sensitivity to a certain antibiotic they use in animals. So that sort of drives where I shop

I have never been in an Aldi's. Thanks for mentioning the Bring-Your-Own Bags policy at Aldi's. I had no idea and would have looked stupid had I gone in there. Is Aldi's really that good and that cheap?
Old 03-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Most items at a nearby Tom Thumb, with occasional trips to a neighborhood WM, and Costco.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Get all we can at Costco, then most everything else from a local grocery store chain. That takes care of 95% of our needs. We go to Target (don't trust them since the credit kerfuffle) and Whole Foods (too far, otherwise we'd go there often) occasionally.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

What W2R said goes for me as well.

I've been in the local WF exactly once but was creeped out by the regulars.