What does Costco Have That I Can't Find Other Places?

I use the Costco Visa card at Costco.
That should work just fine with Apple Pay including the watch, mine does. I assume you have it set up in both wallets correctly. I double click the lower side button on my watch, select the Costco VISA, and hold close it over the card reader. Never had trouble.

Sanders salted chocolate covered caramels are going on sale for $8.49 for 36 oz in the circular starting May 17. Try to duplicate them anywhere near that price!

Toilet paper.

Costco's price hasn't appeared to rise, but my local supermarket sure has. The 12-double-roll pack I would buy pre=2020 at publix, their own brand, was around $7.50. They are now charging $11.79.

Meanwhile the Costco Kirkland pack is 30 rolls for about $20 in store. I got a pack of it for my stockpile and went thru it recently, but then went pack to Publix... and boy, not just the sticker shock - the Costco sheets were bigger and softer, the overall square footage of their pack 1429 to Publix 428, so the price becomes very clear. Now I just have to figure out better ways to store it...

We were given a Sam’s membership and started shopping there since it’s closer than the Costco. They have a unique app where you can scan goods as you put them in your cart. When you’re done, you skip the checkout lines and go right to the gatekeeper at the door. The app also shows you special app only deals and totals your purchases as you go. It’s pretty slick. Sam’s has just about the same stuff as Costco.

We were given a Sam’s membership and started shopping there since it’s closer than the Costco. They have a unique app where you can scan goods as you put them in your cart. When you’re done, you skip the checkout lines and go right to the gatekeeper at the door. The app also shows you special app only deals and totals your purchases as you go. It’s pretty slick. Sam’s has just about the same stuff as Costco.
Costco has this too but I think it requires that you use their credit card.
FYI I have memberships at both. Because they don't actually carry the same things but there is a lot of overlap.

Cheers.

Costco has this too but I think it requires that you use their credit card.
FYI I have memberships at both. Because they don't actually carry the same things but there is a lot of overlap.

Cheers.

This must be very Costco specific because I haven’t seen it.

This must be very Costco specific because I haven’t seen it.

I think there are some trials going on off and on in some stores. I saw somebody at our Austin store with one of the large flatbed carts using it recently.

Cheers.

No Costco in my area but we do have a Sams. I tried it for a year not long ago but found I just didn't go much. For a family or a couple I can see why so many like these stores. But me being a single guy....wasn't worth it to me.

A bit off topic, but has anybody been able to use Apple Pay at the Costco self checkout line?

I tried it with my Apple Watch and there was no response. I ended up pulling out my credit card. I use the Costco Visa.

The watch worked fine at Trader Joe’s.

I figured out why I could not get Apple Pay to work on the Apple Watch. I didn’t realize I had to press the crown button twice to tell it to complete the payment transaction. I just cruised through the Costco checkout line with no problems.

I figured out why I could not get Apple Pay to work on the Apple Watch. I didn’t realize I had to press the crown button twice to tell it to complete the payment transaction. I just cruised through the Costco checkout line with no problems.

The crown button? Funny - I double click the other (flat) button. It must be configurable.

The Apple Watch will show you which button to double click to activate the credit card. It’s very intuitive.

Toilet paper.

Costco's price hasn't appeared to rise, but my local supermarket sure has. The 12-double-roll pack I would buy pre=2020 at publix, their own brand, was around $7.50. They are now charging $11.79.

Meanwhile the Costco Kirkland pack is 30 rolls for about $20 in store. I got a pack of it for my stockpile and went thru it recently, but then went pack to Publix... and boy, not just the sticker shock - the Costco sheets were bigger and softer, the overall square footage of their pack 1429 to Publix 428, so the price becomes very clear. Now I just have to figure out better ways to store it...

Heh, heh part of the "Price of Paradise" our Costco price for the 30 roll bail is more like $27. That HAS gone up quite a bit as has the Charmin price (now $32 up from about $24 a year ago.) Could be our outrageous shipping costs. Everything travels an extra 2500 miles compared to most folks on the mainland. YMMV

The times I’ve shopped at Costco I wasn’t particularly jazzed by it. Huge store, didn’t know where things were, few things I couldn’t find. The prices weren’t that much lower than Walmart. Granted, they do have some cheap high quality specialty items, and if I shopped there all the time perhaps I could capture more value. But alas it’s about 20 miles from us and always crowded. There is always a huge line for gas.

We mostly do Walmart and pickup. Prices are competitive and convenient. There is always the annoyance of a few out of stock items.

We still end up getting the Costco membership and use it for eye glasses and lenses.

BJ’s has the same thing.

Campari Tomatoes for Under $2.50 a pound ..... and they are good. Neanderthal chicken for $4.99. Great Hot Dogs for $1.50. Reasonably prices prescription Glasses. Vidalia Onions. Sensibly priced Coffee. Great mushrooms. Well Priced TVs. The occasional good Deal, DW got a great mixer for $165 that was $349 at the outlet store. 4% Off Gas.

Worth the $60 a year for the CC.

Campari Tomatoes for Under $2.50 a pound ..... and they are good. Neanderthal chicken for $4.99. Great Hot Dogs for $1.50. Reasonably prices prescription Glasses. Vidalia Onions. Sensibly priced Coffee. Great mushrooms. Well Priced TVs. The occasional good Deal, DW got a great mixer for $165 that was $349 at the outlet store. 4% Off Gas.

Worth the $60 a year for the CC.
The camparis and coffee are two things I always buy there. Plus meat. Can't duplicate those prices.

And any electronics, if they stock something you want it is usually an outstanding value.

I buy the full size candy bars for Halloween, they always have them on sale in October. I over buy then return any unopened boxes.

We tend to avoid the ready made foods, but some of those shown in the video sure looked tasty! And we are low on paper products, so a trip to Costco is on our radar soon, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom